Honda D Series Forum banner
81 - 100 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
EJ8
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
The final panel has arrived. I look forward to starting the body work and getting Morty straight and finally all the same shade of red. It has been two years and my patch job is starting to fall apart. I am surprised it lasted this long.

The dog leg got a little beat up in shipping and I could not find anything that was specifically for a coupe for wheel arch panels, just said the hatchback and coupe used the same arch panels? Oh well, I will make it work if it's off a little bit.

I will be/have been watching a ton of YouTube videos and receiving helpful advice from others. If you have any suggestions, feel free to comment.

·
Registered
EJ8
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
Hizzuh! Success! They are finally out. I used the pneumatic press at work and I should have done that right off the bat, would have saved so much time but I wanted to see if I could get them out at home, oh well. I found a broken stud on the face on the right arm, so I need to drill that out, what a pain in the ass. I sprayed them down with a rust protectant spray, I can't figure out the words I am looking for but hopefully it just keeps them decent until I can get them painted.

I used the same stuff on the clutch fork as I did on the transmission, more or less for fun... turned out really nice and I didn't have to put any real physical effort into scrubbing it clean. Should I be replacing this while I replace the clutch? I have read different opinions about it but I have never heard of people replacing the clutch fork when they do clutch changes. I was just going to change the spring and leave the rest alone. Not entirely sure what I would be looking for here while it is out of the transmission, the wear on the end of the fork looks pretty even... 🤷‍♀️

I have had this muffler for just about a year now and this tip.. It is tiny. I have a full Yonaka cat-back and it's pretty quiet, but I am getting bored of the sound SO I have decided to go a different route and I bought a Black Widow "Angry Housewife" muffler to try. I am keeping the resonator, cat, etc. just changing it up from the axle back. I am not sure when I am going to put this on.. but hopefully sooner than later and I'll take a sound clip and hope it doesn't sound like a giant bag of 🍆.

That's about it for now!

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,258 Posts
What does a bag of 🍆 sound like exactly? Wait, maybe I don't want to know the answer to that........

It's gonna sound great since you're keeping the resonator under there.

RTA's look great, and that clutch fork looks primo to re-use.

In for video now to hear what a Black Widow "Angry Housewife" muffler sounds like. Should be a good vid. In car as you're driving. Wonder if it'll drone any. Probably not because you still have the resonator.

·
Registered
EJ8
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
What does a bag of 🍆 sound like exactly? Wait, maybe I don't want to know the answer to that........

It's gonna sound great since you're keeping the resonator under there.

RTA's look great, and that clutch fork looks primo to re-use.

In for video now to hear what a Black Widow "Angry Housewife" muffler sounds like. Should be a good vid. In car as you're driving. Wonder if it'll drone any. Probably not because you still have the resonator.
Yes, the resonator will stay and I may even add another one depending on how it sounds.

That swarm of angry bees - Bag of angry dicks. 100%. :LOL:

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,612 Posts
Yes, the resonator will stay and I may even add another one depending on how it sounds.

That swarm of angry bees - Bag of angry dicks. 100%. :LOL:
I'd imagine that muffler would sound hellish, if the expectation is to achieve a sound that resembles a bag full of bees and dicks.... excruciating.

I'd imagine it would sound like a group of guys yelling as loud as they could like today was their last:

Hat Font Event Entertainment Crowd

Wood Helmet Art Movie Darkness

Smile Water Event Movie Art

·
Registered
EJ8
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
Haven't really been doing much aside from working, trying to stay cool and working on my friends Subaru. I did fix the passenger turn signal finally, the connector was damaged when I had a brain dead moment and in turn I lost my inner fender liner on the highway, mud flap in tow.. I couldn't find it anywhere. It was gone. So sad. So, as I was taking the fog lights out, I had access to the turn signal so I just swapped in a connector and bulb and now we're good to go.

I removed the fog lights because the wiring was absolutely shit (burnt connections, half ass wired in, split wires) and the relay was blowing every few days, so I was tired of dealing with it and just left it alone for a while but I got sick of the rattling and so I yanked them out. Wow. I can't believe how badly rusted they were, well, they could be as old as the car, who knows. They were basically fused to the plastic and not a single piece of hardware was going to come out nicely, SO I had to cut them out .. IF you don't live in an area where rust is a huge part of life, Just look up "Wreck of the Titanic" on Google and you'll get an idea of what I am talking about.

I am a big fan of those oval Raybrig fog lights. I haven't looked very hard, or at all really to see what is out there but I am going to assume they're going to be expensive. If I can't find any in decent shape and don't cost an arm and a leg, I'll see if I can't make something fit from another car. I am sure I can find something and just get a bracket fabbed up or again, find something on another car that would work.

We shall see!

·
Registered
EJ8
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
Parts are starting to come in and I have been somewhat patient about it. Over the weekend my seals, clutch fork spring arrived so those were promptly installed. If you're re-doing the seals, I am sure most people already know about this on here but the seals are not the same size. So here are the part numbers for those and the spring. All from Honda, even the one made in China.

Automotive tire Material property Gas Camera accessory Camera lens
Ingredient Font Packing materials Plastic Plastic wrap
Finger Thumb Font Nail Plastic

The old seals were pretty beat up, but I wasn't going to run them anyways, don't see the point. It's already out and accessible and I don't want to deal with the seal over the winter. Now I am just waiting for parts from G16 and they should be in this week. I bought - Russell braided clutch line, Exedy slave cylinder, Exedy Flywheel (not lightened), and the Exedy clutch kit.

Before I forget - I have never broken in a clutch before, so what do you guys recommend? Is it similar to breaking in new pads?

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,258 Posts
Yup, its broke in now!
or just broke.......but either way hahahahaha

I normally give it a few normal shifts then pop it a few times even at speed just to get it to grab. Biggest thing is make sure you clean the pressure plate mating surface with brake cleaner and also the flywheel mating surface with brake cleaner to get the cosmoline/coating off (whichever they used). IF you don't they'll glaze the clutch pretty badly and it will either slip immediately or wear out prematurely.

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,612 Posts
I replaced a clutch in a GT500 SVT supercharged mustang once, replacing the stock twin disc with a massive Spec clutch single disk.

I listened to the instructions religiously during the first test drive, it said light to medium throttle during the first 1000 miles.

I hit 1/2 throttle and the engine went "weeeaaAAAHHHHHHH BAPBAPBAP" (supercharger whine all thr way to redline and bounce limiter). At first I was confused, i didnt know what that was.

So I did it again, it did it one more time... "hmm, is the clutch slipping?"

One last time.... no slip, that fucker was broke in now haha... broke the back tires loose going sideways down main street for a pretty good clip.

Never slipped again after that. I was honestly trying to diagnose what the heck was happening, but before it became a pattern to recognize it truly was clutch slip, damn thing was already broke in lol.

Barbecque seasoning :)

·
Registered
EJ8
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
I normally give it a few normal shifts then pop it a few times even at speed just to get it to grab. Biggest thing is make sure you clean the pressure plate mating surface with brake cleaner and also the flywheel mating surface with brake cleaner to get the cosmoline/coating off (whichever they used). IF you don't they'll glaze the clutch pretty badly and it will either slip immediately or wear out prematurely.
Well at least that part is familiar to changing brakes, I use a brake cleaner on the rotors before I reassemble everything due to the coating and any greasy finger residue. (y)

I have read many different ways to do it, and some said drive 800kms of light driving. That would take me... 2 1/2 weeks (if I only drove to work and back) and be incredibly boring. Not sure I have the patience for that.

I replaced a clutch in a GT500 SVT supercharged mustang once, replacing the stock twin disc with a massive Spec clutch single disk.

I listened to the instructions religiously during the first test drive, it said light to medium throttle during the first 1000 miles.

I hit 1/2 throttle and the engine went "weeeaaAAAHHHHHHH BAPBAPBAP" (supercharger whine all thr way to redline and bounce limiter). At first I was confused, i didnt know what that was.

So I did it again, it did it one more time... "hmm, is the clutch slipping?"

One last time.... no slip, that fucker was broke in now haha... broke the back tires loose going sideways down main street for a pretty good clip.

Never slipped again after that. I was honestly trying to diagnose what the heck was happening, but before it became a pattern to recognize it truly was clutch slip, damn thing was already broke in lol.

Barbecque seasoning :)
Oh nice. Hopefully I have some fun while breaking in mine.. but.. I don't have the right sauce to do that.. yet.. so it'll probably be incredibly boring. SVT's.. Man some of those cars sounds so good, make the loins quiver. An old acquaintance of mine had an SVT Contour, but I haven't seen one since and that's been .. I can't even recall how many years ago. Not my cup of tea but I can definitely respect it.

81 - 100 of 100 Posts