Piston ring gap?? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2012, 05:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 9 ShakeThisEf  is accepted as part of the communityShakeThisEf  is accepted as part of the communityShakeThisEf  is accepted as part of the communityShakeThisEf  is accepted as part of the community
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Default Piston ring gap??

I just need some one to throw some input and let me know if my gap sizes are alright before i do them. I searched and came out to this for a conculsion.
1st ring. .019
2nd ring. .021
Oil ring. .023

Its a z6 block bored .40 over(yes i know its big but what i had to work with) had the p2w set to .003. They are vitara pistons. I am shooting for 350whp. Do the gaps seem alright or should i make them a bit bigger or smaller.

I want to know quick so i can finish plastigauging the bearings tonight and put the pistons in. thanks for the input.
ShakeThisEf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2012, 08:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

turboprelude95 Still a JDM Star....turboprelude95 Still a JDM Star....turboprelude95 Still a JDM Star....turboprelude95 Still a JDM Star....turboprelude95 Still a JDM Star....turboprelude95 Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

I copyed speed factory
.18 top
.19 second

Jswap 4dr
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boost 4dr
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Twin scrol

F2B
turboprelude95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2012, 01:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 9 ShakeThisEf  is accepted as part of the communityShakeThisEf  is accepted as part of the communityShakeThisEf  is accepted as part of the communityShakeThisEf  is accepted as part of the community
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

alright what did you do for the oil ring gap?
ShakeThisEf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 07:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 12 sde780 is almost a somebodysde780 is almost a somebodysde780 is almost a somebodysde780 is almost a somebody
iTrader Score: 16 reviews

I did exactly the specs in your first post. Y8 75.5mm vitaras, made 300whp and then turbo took a dump. Didn't burn oil in the first 500 miles and is fine as far as I know.

I ran whatever the oil rings were from the box, I think .024". Just checked them to make sure they weren't super tight and threw them in.
sde780 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2012, 12:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Speedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 40 reviews

I used the laskey racing formula

bore in inches x .006 top
bore in inches x .0065 2nd

comes out to .019 an .021

240,000 miles and counting turbo EH9
nothing like 4drs, ac,moon roof, and 4 whores and running 13psi out or a ching chong t3/t4 setup
the build

if it survives the winter JdM d15b+Vitara+FJT+25psi=

professional tranny assassin, 2 stock diffs in 4 weeks on street tires and preload was used
Speedjunky01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2012, 03:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 10 stevenarroyo is a name known to allstevenarroyo is a name known to allstevenarroyo is a name known to allstevenarroyo is a name known to allstevenarroyo is a name known to allstevenarroyo is a name known to allstevenarroyo is a name known to allstevenarroyo is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 18 reviews

i did mine a little loser from what i found searching on here
.020 top
.022 second

stevenarroyo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2012, 06:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Speedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 40 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenarroyo View Post
i did mine a little loser from what i found searching on here
.020 top
.022 second
A thou here or there isn't going to kill a motor

If I went 22 on accident I wouldn't sweat it it would just have a bigger blue "power puff" between shifts

240,000 miles and counting turbo EH9
nothing like 4drs, ac,moon roof, and 4 whores and running 13psi out or a ching chong t3/t4 setup
the build

if it survives the winter JdM d15b+Vitara+FJT+25psi=

professional tranny assassin, 2 stock diffs in 4 weeks on street tires and preload was used
Speedjunky01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2012, 07:07 AM   #8 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedjunky01 View Post
I used the laskey racing formula

bore in inches x .006 top
bore in inches x .0065 2nd

comes out to .019 an .021
^^^this^^^
la_hondas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in