Honda D Series Forum banner

1996 Integra LS Sedan *pics 1/21/14* jdm front & 5 lug & Auto to Manual

111K views 575 replies 98 participants last post by  Steve-O 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
While driving around my town recently, I spied this car with a for sale sign in it. I have seen this car sit in front of this house for a few years now. It used to look a lot better, but over time it was starting to look worse. When I saw the for sale sign, I stopped and went to check it out. It said "1996 acura integra, needs transmission $600" I met up with the owner the next day and looked the car over. It has a clean title which was obviously very important to me. The car has 153k on it which is not too bad. The front fenders are shot, I need to replace those asap. The only bad thing about this car is that it is an automatic. I really dont care. Having just signed over the 94 integra rs sedan to the ex psycho girlfriend, it is ironic that I pick up another integra sedan. The trans went out in the car, the guy bought a new trans on ebay only to find out it had a cracked case after he installed it. We started the car and it purred like a kitten.

There are 2 options I am going to have to decide between with this car, sell it and make a profit or keep it, do a manual conversion and let it all go downhill from there with a new project car. I will see after I get a new transmission in there. I really enjoyed driving the 94 integra I had bought for the now ex. It is very possible I might just keep it and see what direction this project takes me.

Here is the only pic I was able to snap of it. I am towing it home this upcoming weekend.

forgot to mention, I got it for $500. Only could talk the guy down $100.

See less See more
#2 ·
"ANOTHER Integra? Fuckin' A Man!"

haha yeah :)

Towed it home on Saturday. When we unloaded it off the trailer, we pushed it down with no problems. When it was on the ground, thats when I realized I left it in park :noway:Yeah, that transmission is beyond fucked. It rolled off just like it was in neutral. Car starts just fine, valves need to be adjusted, they tick a little when the car is cold. The engine bay is filthy, expect that to be cleaned up nicely. The interior is really dirty, so far I need a drivers side rear door panel and a headliner. The passenger side rear door panel is not too bad, but I will probably replace that too. The drivers seat has a small cigarette burn which pisses me off. I missed that when looking at the car. Overall, this should be an easy car to clean up. I did buy a couple gallons of super clean.

2 dirty engine bay pics.

#3 ·
got 2 fenders last night. 1 is white and could easily just be buffed out. The other is red and has a small ding on the body line. Very easy to fix.

transmission gets pulled and shipped in about 2 weeks from Iowa. I have a friend that got me in contact with one of his friends who buys cars and parts them out. I have dealt with him before and he always gives me awesome deals. Possibly by the end of August, I will have the car up and running.

Title was transfered yesterday to my name, just need to get it drivable to smog it. Pulled entire interior yesterday and started cleaning. Also pulled power antenna because there was some surface rust around the hole. Sanded it down and put some primer on it. I will get back to that eventually. Maybe put a s2k antenna on there?

I am thinking of keeping the car. I have a really good plan for this car. I just need to save up a huge chunk of change for what I have planned. Lets just say if I keep it, we will have a manual conversion done with a motor that rotates opposite of the motor that is in the car :D

#4 ·
I put a little work into the car over the weekend. I replaced the passenger side fender with the new white one I have. Looks so much better already. I didnt get a chance to replace the drivers side fender because that fender I have is red. I needed to remove a small ding in it and primer it. I got the ding out, I just didnt have time to primer it. The bumper is really not worth fixing to me. I would love to do the 98-01 front end, but the bumper and headlights is a huge chunk of change. Finding those parts for under $300 is near impossible lately. I might leave the 94-97 front end, do the jdm fogs and the sir-g lip.

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
Ordered an oem timing belt and water pump this morning for the car. I figure since I will be driving it for awhile before I do a motor swap I may as well make it reliable. I will be ordering some more stuff here next week, small stuff though like cap, rotor, plug wires, valve cover gasket etc. Just stuff to make sure it is reliable and will pass inspection.

Also, the transmission finally is being shipped out today. My deadline to have the car drivable and on the road is by the end of the first week in September. I am taking a trip to Santa Cruz to go camping on the beach with some friends and I do not want to drive the civic down there.

I do need some decent aftermarket shocks for the car shortly, I am putting the ground controls off the 91 integra on this car. Does anyone have anything decent?

picked up some used kyb agx shocks from a friend last night for next to nothing. ground control off the 91 integra are going on this car. nothing like a budget build so far! lol

Well I decided today that since I am taking this thing on a long drive right off, I need some music for it. I went ahead and ordered speakers for it. I ordered a 5 1/4" Kenwood component set for the front and a pair of Alpine 6x9 speakers for the rear.

front components: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-349vcQ...b=morephotos&pi=2&i=113KFCP507&display=XL#Tab

rears: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-349vcQkR9Xa/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=400&I=500SPR69C

I didnt pay those prices btw ;)

well shit, the trans is due to arrive on the 28th of this month. That makes me stress about getting it all done in a week.

#7 ·
I got a little work done on it in the last few days. I will try to update later with pics. Sorry for the lack of pics, yall know I am a pic whore normally.

#8 ·
This last weekend I put about 20 hours into the car. The majority of that time was cleaning lol I removed the entire interior and scrubbed everything, cleaned the seats, carpet, door panels etc.

Random shot of it in the garage:

Kenwood 5 1/4" speaker and crossover installed:

Tweeter mounted in the door panel:

Alpine type r 6x9s mounted in the rear:

Oem acura tape player with optional cd player I found. This thing does not play burned cds:

#9 ·
Rear suspension is done. Kyb agx shocks with ground controls. I had a tenzo r upper and lower strut bar left over from the 91 integra that I installed.

the car is insanely dirty right now. I put the konig greenlites on it for the time being. 14" steelies with hubcaps looks like shit. I am not really liking the greenlites on the car though, the heliums will probably go on the integra and the greenlites will probably go back on the civic.

I did a lot more work on the car, a lot of small stuff. Basically I cleaned every inch of the interior with a toothbrush. The trunk was nasty, I did a lot of work in there. I will have to post pics of that later. Also I buffed out the tail lights. The drivers side fender turned out like shit, so I have to wetsand it and spray another coat of paint on it. Pics of that stuff later.

#10 ·
The transmission failed to show up yesterday thanks to the shipping company being a bunch of douchebags. Shooting for tomorrow to get the trans here.

Pulled the motor last night. I did not want to discharge the a/c so working around that stuff really sucked. Acura routed the lines right over the transmission which is really lame for removing the motor from the top. Just angled it and yanked it. Here are a couple pics, nothing too exciting. Tonight I will be cleaning the engine bay and the motor. Have to pull the trans off and get it ready to go back in. Before it goes back in, the motor gets a new timing belt and water pump.

dirty!

#11 ·
After quite a few long nights last week, the car is on the road. Friday and Saturday nights I was up until a little after 3am each night working on stuff. Would have had it done sooner, but Thursday I snapped off a water pump bolt. Had to wait until the next day until I could get a helicoil kit and have my friend do that for me. Motor went back in Friday night. Finished up the motor by myself on Saturday night. Got the car started on Saturday night, let the fan kick on and called it a night (morning lol) since it was after 3am. Woke up early and finished putting the car back together. I needed to finish painting the drivers side fender, put sideskirts back on, bumper and a hood. The car is 3 different colors in the front. The car and driver side fender are frost white, the passenger fender is taffeta white because it came off a 99 integra (needs to be repainted, its scratched) and the bumper is off my friends car that he parted out that was painted s2000 grand prix white. The hood came from his car also, it is a vis oem style cf hood. I couldnt pass up the deal on it, so on it went. Car drives great, put a little more than 125 miles on it so far. It could use brakes, but that will have to wait. they are fine, just not up to my standards.

Here are 2 shots of the car I snapped outside my work this morning. The whole car still needs to be buffed out. It sat for over 2 years and who knows when the last time it had a coat of wax. The 94 integra's paint was worse, so this should come out pretty decent.

I still need to play with the suspension a little. make sure everything sits nicely. it scrapes the hell out of the mudflaps. I will have to get a pic of the clearance. Also, expect better pics when I get it buffed out. Not many pics of the motor stuff because I didnt want to touch my new camera with dirty hands.

#12 ·
The paint still needs a good buffing and some wax. I scrubbed the car a little more yesterday and was playing around with my camera taking some pics of it. I was bored and killing time. Anyway, here are some more pics. I am loving the multicolor white front end. :D

mudflap is starting to get worn down a little lol

#13 ·
I used a claybar on the car the other day and then buffed the car out. It could use some more buffing, but the paint is already looking better than it did when I first got it. Also I hardwired in my radar detector and installed the sirius satelite radio in it as well. I am leaving Thursday to take the car on a long road trip. I have put over 700 miles on it so far.

#14 ·
crappy pic i just took outside with the car on the heliums. going out of town for a couple days and wanted azenis on the car.

more pics to come after my trip.

Keep up Steve-O This one is going to get interesting next year.

#15 ·
I took the car on my vacation and it performed flawlessly. I put about 600 miles on it roughly on the trip and it went off without a problem. Here are a couple pics of it from the weekend and a shot of the satelite radio. Figured its better than any other pics I took of the satelite radio lol

#16 · (Edited by Moderator)
The car passed inspection yesterday with awesome results. The hydrocarbon test was what impressed me. The numbers were so good, I can now basically say "fuck you" to those toyota prius wannabe hippie snobs! I dont have to worry about inspection ever again in this car unless I sell it. Next stop......K series in the spring time.

The front bumper grill needs to be painted back black and you need a lip man...so far so good
both of the things you mentioned are on my to do list. I have had no time to do the bumper grill, but I was planning on possibly doing that this upcoming weekend.

as for a lip, I want the jdm sir-g lip. jdmshit.com makes one, but it is $179 and right now I am not going to buy one yet.

what I do want though right now are some oem foglights for the car.

#17 ·
I was playing around with an extra set of ek sideskirts I had laying around. They damn near fit on the car, just a little bit has to be trimmed off. What I do not like is that they sit in a little further than stock. Also they do not look clean when you have the doors open, but who the hell notices that stuff? I am not sure if I am going to follow through with installing them, I would like some feedback.

deleted images, that project didnt happen. (3/14/8 )

Also repainted the shaved valve cover I had left over from the 91 integra project. Slapped that on the car and fixed the cam seal leak.

Richie, you know the deal. If we trade, I get 43 tacos, 2 dozen cookies and 1 sister!

#18 ·
ohhhh thats why i can't find any ek side skirts. levi has them all laying around in his garage.
you would be amazed at the amount of stuff i have in my garage. ek sides, honda fit rear lip, tons of turbo stuff, integra stuff, accord stuff, civic stuff.

sedans do rock! I have been loving the fact the car is a 4 door. for once i can have more than 1 friend ride with me. i absolutely can not stand having people in the back of my civic.

I blew an upper radiator hose on the way home the other night. The one damn hose I didnt bother replacing. Go figure. Anyway I fixed that yesterday afternoon and it is back on the road. I have to start saving my extra money and start selling that spare shit in my garage to start the k series fund for this thing. That is what I would like to plan on doing, hopefully nothing gets in my way of that goal.

#19 ·
well I mangaged to get a ticket in the integra yesterday. I was going with the pace of traffic, but I got nailed. 79 in a 65. I dont think I am eligible for traffic school. You can do it once every 18 months, I did it 17.5 months ago.

#20 ·
I bought these things today.

You know how hard it is to find a decent set of those? They arent cheap either. Next on the list is the si-vtec front lip. No point in doing any engine mods to the car since it wont be staying in there. Also ordered a sunroof visor the other day. Oh and I have a complete s2000 antenna assembly to put in as well to get rid of the ghettofied antenna thats in there. It works perfectly like oem, but I will post pics later of why it is ghetto.

#21 · (Edited)

My friend did the body work around the antenna hole because it was wavy and had a couple dings around it. I removed the antenna last night and it decided to start raining. I needed a way to plug this since I am driving the car more than the hatch lately. Turns out the rubber plug that covers the timing belt tensioner bolt fits this perfectly!

#22 ·

Damn! The tafetta white fender on the car has always been slightly tweaked where it wouldnt line up perfectly no matter what. I managed to pick up a set of perfect frost white fenders off a friends 94 ls this weekend to replace my 2 fenders. My drivers side fender was frost white, but the paint didnt match perfectly. My friend the other night was like "do you care about the passenger fender?" and I said "not really, why?" His crazy ass headbutted the damn thing. I was like :bravo:Nice! haha That led to this....

then

She was also used this weekend to transport a motor for a friend I picked up off Import Al.

Took the carpet out and threw in a chunk of plywood. Yes those are trays from KFC, I was planning on doing some tray slides in the car the other night, but that didnt happen. Expect video of that sometime. New parts for her should be here this week too.

#23 ·
Foglights went on without a problem. They only came with the lights and the oem switch. I had to make my own harness. No big deal really, just a little extra time with some wiring. They are wired just as they would be from the factory so that is nice. I have to hide the relay a little better, I just have it tucked behind the obd2 port.

quick pic of behind the bumper:

oem switch in center console:

front shot:

little blurry, better pics later:

#24 ·
hell yeah, Levi needs to make his way over here to hang out :TU:
You arent kidding! I really do need to make it over there. Whether I fly out or drive out, one way or another I need to make my presense known on the east coast!

I got the s2000 antenna on the car yesterday when I got home from work. To make it work, it is easier to cut off part of the mounting bracket on the antenna base assembly. Then it is easy to install from there. align everything and tighten it down. Someone told me I wouldnt get great reception with it because the s2k uses a circuit board to boost the antenna or something. Well I obviously left that part unplugged and it picks up reception just fine. I used this antenna because the one that was in the car was a pile of shit even though it worked. I will post pics of how it was modified later.

she needs a bath

Yes, I realize I am doing small exterior mods to the car. This is not normal for me to start here but I fail to see putting any money into modifications to the motor since it will be getting yanked anyway in the future. Suspension work and small things to the car here and there are what I am taking care of right now.

#25 ·
Well as much as I like the factory deck that is in the car, I can not stand it not being able to play burned cds. 98% of my cds are burned so I needed to do something about that. I ordered this today.

Alpine cda-9885 cd player.

#26 ·
Last night I scored a wicked deal on an amp from a friend. A kicker kx550.2 amp for some bass. I dont care what anyone says, I like having a nice stereo in the car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.