Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The old hatch was sold in North Dakota, and I have been looking for a new, mostly rust free, chassis since I got up to Michigan. I made the decision to move funds from guns to cars, and that meant selling guns to fund a chassis and engine build.

Surfing Craigslist I found a 97 EX coupe with what looked like only a little cancer, and was supposed to be a good runner. I went to look at it and found a mostly rust free chassis, but it was accompanied by an engine that made terrible noises and sound from the front end that made me cut the test drive short. From there I made an insulting offer for the car that I knew would be turned down.

When I got home (an hour drive away) I made an offer I was pretty sure he would accept, but with the stipulation that the car be driven/delivered to me... I wanted to see if it was at all reliable. We talked a bit and settled at $1350 for the car delivered to my door the next day.

Today is that next day. Some of you might remember how horrible the last car I bought looked when it was rolled off a trailer because it couldn't be driven, this is much better but will still need a lot of work.

A little grungy under the hood, but no rust and most things seem to be where they belong.

The interior is mostly clean and the carpet is really good under the mats. I will pull it all out and steam clean it and see what I end up with. The trunk is complete and the original spare is even still there.

And the rear wheel wells

The passenger side is a little iffy. The kid told me that there had been some surface rust starting, but he sanded and painted it before it ate through the metal. It will need and get attention right away, and with any luck I won't be replacing metal there, but it looks like it is bubbling pretty good under that paint. I am thinking of sanding it all down and putting rust reformer on it before it gets any worse.

Between what guns were sold and what I paid for the car I still have enough in pocket to send my DOHC ZC to the machine shop and finish it up. The idea is to put that in, have the trans rebuilt, use a GO AUTO turbo kit with the cast manifold and gt28, while keeping air conditioning and power steering. While I am working on getting that stuff squared away I will gut it and look for a body guy locally.

So if anyone is in Eastern MI and does body work, let me know.

I have some decisions to make still, suspension, upgrade the front end, brake upgrades, bla bla bla.

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
...interesting....very interesting. In to see where this goes.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,252 Posts
Road Trip, another place to crash when I get to visit Richmond.

PS: Lake snows SUCK in PH!

Check all the front suspension stuff, MI roads are so great.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am pretty sure all the suspension components are shot. The chassis has like 200k on it. The idea in my head now is to pull just about everything off the chassis, send it for body work and paint, and then start bolt on new parts until I have a complete car again. I don't see it back on the road until next summer some time.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
It may not seem like much progress, but it took all week to clean out my shop so I could fit a car in it.

I also noticed that the noise I was hearing goes away with the clutch disengaged, which is a good thing. The engine actually seems to run really well.

Then there is the bad. I was so worried about finding rust around the rear wheel wells and moon roof that I neglected to look around the windshield. There are some rust bubbles starting around the top. I was going back and forth between where I was going to spend money first, body work or engine work. It looks like it will be body work.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Had a little time after work today before leaving town for the weekend, so I used that time to pull the interior out of the car.

Sorry about the cell phone pics.

Seats out

that little blue thing on the passenger near the upper edge is a small bottle of Aberva and next to it was a Mach 3 razor. I joked about that last car being so dirty that it had super aids, but it looks like this car does in fact have herpes.

Interior bits. They are in decent shape, but really dirty. We will see how it looks after cleaning them up.

Carpet out

The interior of the 6th gen comes apart a lot easier than the 5th gen, way better clips. I only ended up breaking a couple of clips, but I think they may have been pre-broken.

What's with the support across the center? The 5th gen doesn't have that. Is that a coupe only thing to support the rear seat cushions, or is it actually a structural support? Did I mention I have never stripped a 6th gen chassis before?

Another question. What is this blue thing? It is wide open to the underside of the car. I didn't have a chance to trace where the wires went, it is to damn hot outside.

I assume it is supposed to be sealed to the floor.

The carpet. It looks meh at best. I am going to try to simple green it, scrub it, and maybe hit it with the Dupli-Color carpet paint. It worked pretty good on the last car.

Here is an interesting find. When I bought the car the kid said the driver side window didn't work. He said it was probably the regulator. I figured he was wrong and that it was something simple like a fuse. When I removed the door panel I found an unplugged harness. Plugging said harness in fixed the "broken regulator". He forgot to plug it back in when he changed the door speakers. That isn't the interesting find though, this is...

That is a crack, a weld, and some new paint. I figured the car was in a front end accident, but this was unexpected.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As for the car being rust free and the previous owner telling me he just sanded and tossed paint on the quarter (no filler used).

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

Yup, that's filler.

The driver side looks more like dirt and crap built up, not filler.

The rust around the windshield I missed when looking the car over.

None of it looks like it goes all the way through the metal.

and the last pic

Now I need to figure out how to get the headliner out. The headliner has a couple of burn holes in it, and the fabric is worn... it seems odd that a bit of material that doesn't touch anything is worn.

I like what HondaSteve did with the tweed, so I may use something similar on my headliner, arm rest, and door inserts. One of the door panels has a crack in it. the door panels appear to be 3 piece, and the upper panel (the one that is cracked) doesn't seem to have a bunch of complex curves; so I think I may pick up a plastic welder and reupholster that as well.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,008 Posts
the headliner comes out with 2 clips towards the back, and the a pillar trims being removed. super easy. also, a prelude I did work on had that same metal bracing under the front of the rear seat. being so thick and using beefy bolts, I assume its structural. also, so jealous of mirror block off mounted tweeters.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
The noise is only when my foot is off the clutch. It sounds like it might be a throwout bearing. With 200k on it I would be willing to bet it's seen better days.

Looking at the the blue grommet placement and number of wires, that would make sense. Looking at it, it doesn't look like it I pushed it through to the bottom of the car it would seal, and there is no way it would seal from the top. I need to google it.

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
That "blue thing" under the dash looks like the rear O2 grommet.
The blue thing under the dash is a grommet for the 2nd O2 sensor.

·
Registered
0 Posts
the headliner comes out with 2 clips towards the back, and the a pillar trims being removed. super easy. also, a prelude I did work on had that same metal bracing under the front of the rear seat. being so thick and using beefy bolts, I assume its structural. also, so jealous of mirror block off mounted tweeters.
also if your changing the color of the material for your headliner you might want to take the sunroof out and change the material on that piece that slides, just my 2 cents. I did it when i put black suede as my headliner, i took out he whole sunroof assembly to do it but there might be easier ways to do it, haven't looked into it to much.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
also if your changing the color of the material for your headliner you might want to take the sunroof out and change the material on that piece that slides, just my 2 cents. I did it when i put black suede as my headliner, i took out he whole sunroof assembly to do it but there might be easier ways to do it, haven't looked into it to much.
I was hoping that once the headliner was out removal of the sunroof cover would be self explanatory. I am getting the feeling that isn't the case... going to have to dig through PDFs. I am pretty sure I have the 6th gen helm's.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have until noon before I have to leave, so I figured I would scrub the carpet and let it dry while I was gone.

Clean

I pulled the padding off the bottom, used Purple Power, elbow grease, and a boat load of sweat. It's sunny and 80's with 95% humidity, ugh.

It looks better in the pic than it does in real life. There is still some staining, and some places where it is sun bleached purple. It did fluff back up, so I am pretty confident it will be salvageable. On my way out of town I will pop by AutoZone to see if they have the Dupli Color carpet paint I need.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,008 Posts
I used rit dye. filled up a big Tupperware style storage bucket, poured hot water in, threw the carpet in with a few boxes of black die, let sit for a few hrs. rinsed it out and it looked pretty good. plus rit is cheap

1 - 20 of 100 Posts