Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a choice of motor setups at my friend's shop, for the money. I can either do a ZC with a turbo, or b16a 1st gen. Which one should I get? How much boost can I push with a ZC with stock internals?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ZC Turbo of course, but this is dseries.org so our opinions are bias.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I push for ZC also, used to run one of those in my pos crx and that f*cker flew.

I'm kinda biased-----I just own too many B's already----my lunch box if full of them.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Turbo ZC!!!
My friend has a 1st gen. b16 in his CRX. Nothing but headaches, custom fab work, VTEC still not working, not putting out the power it should. Stay away from 1st gen b series.
$2000 - b swap that MIGHT make 160 bhp.
Or $2000 - ZC turbo on 7 psi - WILL make 160 whp

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had a zc turbo and killed b16's all day!!! b16's are really over rated. I ran 8psi on a stock zc for over a year. I abused the engine and after a year I'm finally having to rebuild it!!! If you get it tuned and up grade your fuel system it will last for a while! I would plan on building the motor in the future but would be fine for now. My zc was quick it ran 13.9 at the track with 8psi untuned!!! My friend had a b16 running low 15s if lucky a very high 14! I'm building my zc so I can put it back in my car. The only problem with a zc is the distributor. Find a new one (not a reman) and replace it first thing to save yourself the headache!!!!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
it depends what you want out of it in the long run. ill probably get flamed, but b-series just has more maximum potential imo. with that said, i have a d16 and i love it, its just that sometimes i reconsider my decision

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I totally agree that B-series has more potential, but how much do you want to spend? D-series are a lot cheaper to turbo and build! By the time you spend the money on a b16 you could have turboed a ZC. You could do a basic rebuild on the zc and turbo it for less than it cost to buy a b16. Even one of the fastest all motor hondas is a D15b. If you know what your doing B is just a letter in the alphabet!!!!!

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
crxminimeturbo said:
Yeah I totally agree that B-series has more potential, but how much do you want to spend? ... Even one of the fastest all motor hondas is a D15b.
..you know how much it cost to make that D15 go that fast? Heh, I'll igve you a hint.. more than a built, boost, JDM ITR. ;)

Bottom line, B or D, it cost money to go fast. When it comes to ZC vs B, I would go B if the money is available. Not to dis' Ds or anything, but, you mentioned parts availability.

JDM ZC parts are hard to come by, and no, not a lot of Integra D16A1 parts swap over. The torqueless B16 (basically a DOHC D series with 160hp) can be had for ~$600 now for a longblock. Not too bad. Custom turbo kit can be built for another $700..

Bah, it's all personal opinion and everyone has one. So, do what you feel like. ZC would probably cost you less in the beginning.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Its not how much the engine cost, its how much does it take to put it in! You have to buy tranny, axles,motor mount kit and ecu. You buy all that easy spending $2k. Thats a lot of money to be spending on something that my ZC can beat by over 3 car lengths. All I'm saying why spend that much money on a motor that really isn't that fast! My crx with a ZC turbo vs. my friend in the same year civic with a b16. I beat him everytime. He eventually bought a b20 block and put his b16 head on it (b20 vtec). Look how much he has spent!!!! Now he can keep up with me. No, I can't beat him, but he can't beat me either!!!! I'm building my ZC will be done in 2 weeks and I'll still have less money in my motor than him! I'm running high compression with low boost he won't have a chance. (No my motor won't blow I know what I'm doing!) Yes, I personally saw a d15b run in the low 10s. All I know about the motor is he is using LS rods and its carburated! Next time I go to the track I'll take my video camera and post it!

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do you know how much it cost to boost a b16? If a person spends that much money he better win!!! It also depends on the car that the b16 is in. My CRX is very light. If the b16 was in another CRX and turboed I totally agree the b16 would win! However, 99 civic si or b16 in a sedan turboed "No Problem"!!! I'm not cocky I just don't want to spend that type of money. Price a b16 turbo kit. I have a Greddy Turbo Kit that I bought for dirt. $800 You know the saying "If you want to play, You got to pay!" I prefer not to pay for motor that is overrated and that my ZC turbo could beat. I spent $500 on the motor, $800 on the turbo, $50 on the ECU! I just spent over $1000k on parts (don't know the exact amount have to look at my receipts). I'm doing the work myself, but I have around $2350 invested in my engine. Bring on any b16 in any car that has spent the same amount that I have. They will lose!

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The cheapest kit on ebay right now for a b16 is $1500 new. The cheapest kit on ebay for a d16 is $950. $550 difference so yes the d16 kits are cheaper. Not to mention you can build your own kit for less than $500. Don't forget about: hf manifolds, eclipse turbo and intercooler,etc..... My girlfriend was getting ready to build her kit before she bought her eclipse. You can turbo a dseries motor for a lot cheaper!!! No matter what anybody tells me I don't like b16s. I like what you can do with the head but thats it. I like the LSvtec and the b20vtec. There is a 99 civic si running a turbo fully built lower end. When I get my ZC tuned and running, like I hope, I will race him. Don't worry I'll bring the camera so I will have proof. Less money faster car!!! If I had the money some of the kids parents sink in there cars. I MIGHT run a b16 turbo. I would rather have a LS motor instead. If you want to talk bad ass bseries motors talk about b18s and b20. The same guy with that b16 that I beat lost to stock LS nonvtec. So my question to you is what can a stock b16 beat :?: :?: :?: Why spend the money on something that can be beat by motors for less money. For the money you spend on a b16 you can buy an LS or almost a b20. Now those are motors with potential!!! I don't hate Bseries, I hate b16's with a passion!!! All the kids think they're hot s*** because they did a b16 motor swap. NOT IMPRESSED. I can beat Mustang GT's Haven't seen a b16 with the same amount money I've spent beat one.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I agree, but they're more exspensive! That is why my friend bought a b20 block and put his b16 head on it. It was cheaper. My friend that had a b16 agrees with everything I've wrote. He doesn't like b16s either and he had one. You can pick up a LS motor for $800 or a b20 for $950, if you look around. Now there is a platform to work with. The options are: LSvtec, LS turbo, LSvtec turbo; b20vtec, b20turbo, b20vtec turbo. You can make a b16 faster than a ZC I'm not disagreeing with that. I'm say why spend that much money :?: Take 2 CRXs with no motors give $3000 to spend on a ZC and a B16. By the time you buy a b16, tranny, axles, ecu, and motor mount kit. Your about out of money! Take a ZC you can buy the motor use your same axles and tranny (unless its a hf) buy an ecu. Turbo it and forge the bottom run 15psi and kill that b16 without even hitting 4th gear! :wink: See what I'm saying?

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hell, with 8psi on stock internals on a ZC if I wanted I could spend 1st through 3rd and still be ahead of the b16. Of Course, with the money I save not running a b16 I could have a nice set a racing slicks!!!! :lol:

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Unless you're like me, and a few others I know who test, and blow motors every two months, you should probably base your engine choice on potential.

ZCs potiential will alway be out matched by a B16. Ya, you can say "if I do this if I do that, I would beat a B16". But, uh, "if you did this and if you did that" to the B16, you wouldn't.

Ya, the B may cost you more initially, but once you start getting into performance, the prices are about the same. And if you're one to want to build a motor and have it last you ages and get the most out of it, well, build a B and build it right.

If you just want something quick, and fun to drive, cheap and not a lot of work involved, boost a D.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No, I do know the potential of a b16! What I'm saying Is they are OVERRATED!!!!!!!!! If you read what I posted I said that you have more potential out of a LS or any other b18 and a B20 than ANY b16. For the price you would be better off using a zc! I've ran my zc turbo for fun and now I'm building it and b16's can kiss my a**! Bring them on. If your basing it on potential and power for your money if you ran a b16 you would be a retard!!! I don't know about you but I would run a 2.0 or 1.8 liter over a 1.6 liter any day. Since were not talking about price anymore why the hell would you run a b16???? The only reason people run a b16 in the first place is it is the cheapest bseries motor. B16 is all about the price and what I'm saying if your serious about building a motor in the first place you won't be using a b16. I'm saying if your on a budget you would be better off running a ZC turbo. More bang for the bucks! B16 ARE THE WORST B SERIES MOTORS. SO DON'T TALK TO ME ABOUT POTENTIAL!!!!!!! :x :x :x

1 - 20 of 67 Posts