Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After this big long fiasko of trying to get my CRX to drive (http://www.d-series.org/forums//showthread.php?t=60479) I need to know what it takes to modify my transmission or if it's even possible. I think as of right now what I'm going to do to get my newly purchased ZC (I think) transmission to work properly in my car is swap out the side gears in the differential. I've got a DX tranny with a bad 2nd gear synchro that I'm gonna take the side gears out of so I can use the axles. I was also thinking that while I've got the cases split, I'll take the 5th gear out of the DX and swap it into the ZC so I'll have a little better gas mileage for the express way but still have the acceleration of the ZC. I what I'm thinking possible? As far as I understand it the gears are interchangeable. Does anyone know of a good write up for swapping gears in d-series transmissions? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. THANKS GUYS!!!

·
Registered
98 Lx sedan
301 Posts
read the STICKY at the top of this forum and you'll find all the info you need. You can't use just the gears for the axles. You have to change the whole diff or change the entire gear set over to the dx casing. the diff bearings are different. So instead of buying some, you can use the dx casing it won't cost you any money.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
could I just take the entire differential out of the DX and swap it in? the only problem with using the DX case is I'm not 100% sure on what's broken in it. Could I just literally take everything out of the ZC and do it that way?

·
Registered
949 Posts
read the STICKY at the top of this forum and you'll find all the info you need. You can't use just the gears for the axles. You have to change the whole diff or change the entire gear set over to the dx casing. the diff bearings are different. So instead of buying some, you can use the dx casing it won't cost you any money.
You're wrong. You can use the cable dx side gears in the zc diff to make an SI diff.

bigbbass451, you're going to want to use a 4.25 cable si final drive in your zc trans. if you look, i'm sure you can pick up a busted 88-91 si trans for dirt cheap. Final drives aren't really a wear item anyways. Swapping from a 3.888 final to a 4.25 is going to be the most worthwhile modification. Not to mention the fact that it will cost less than $40 if you look hard :)

And even with that, you wouldn't have to mess with the ring gears or the differentials, just drop the si diff in and check clearance and you're good to go :)

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
could I just swap the differentials from the DX to the ZC?? what's the advantage to the SI final drive? if I'm not mistaken that would improve acceleration and decrease topspeed, correct??

1 - 8 of 8 Posts