Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I bought a civic as a shell. The civic is a 97 ex the motor and tranny was already pulled supposedly rod knock, it’s a d15z1. The tranny is a zc with lsd. Ok so here’s my question where can I find out about this actual transmission like of it was a jdm or usdm. Is that even possible? I was gonna use the tranny in my 2000 civic hx it has the d16y5 I believe. It’s an automatic so I’m thinking use the spare transmission for a swap. I’m trying to find more info. After tons of searching I have found out a lot but it’s all broad info. I’m mainly trying to find out about my zc tranny and if I can use it. Yes I was also told that any d series manual tranny will fit any d series engine. But I also read somewhere that it may have different type of axles? Help please lol
Thanks!

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
First of all, where did you find any of this information? Knowing your source will help determine if it is poor or good

ZC=JDM

Find the label or ID tag that is mounted on every Honda transmission.

If removed or knocked off somehow, you will have to open the transmission up to get more information, such as counting gear teeth.

For axles, the ZC transmissions with LSD should have an intermediate setup, where each axle is identical length. 99.9999999% of the american cars do not have a motor with the bolt holes to mount an intermediate.

For this reason, most ZC LSD owners either go DIY style and make their setup work, or they swap to traditional short/long axles and deal with the additional torque steer that brings.

Measure the outer snout of the axles to see if you need to swap to ITR hubs

·
Registered
2 Posts
First of all, where did you find any of this information? Knowing your source will help determine if it is poor or good

ZC=JDM

Find the label or ID tag that is mounted on every Honda transmission.

If removed or knocked off somehow, you will have to open the transmission up to get more information, such as counting gear teeth.

For axles, the ZC transmissions with LSD should have an intermediate setup, where each axle is identical length. 99.9999999% of the american cars do not have a motor with the bolt holes to mount an intermediate.

For this reason, most ZC LSD owners either go DIY style and make their setup work, or they swap to traditional short/long axles and deal with the additional torque steer that brings.

Measure the outer snout of the axles to see if you need to swap to ITR hubs
Awesome thank you so much for the reply! First thing in the morning I will go out there to look for the stamp. The car the previous owner put this in had the original hub assemblies so not sure what they did but I will check the transmission to make sure. Again thank you for the help

The tranny was attached to a d15z1 I pulled the tranny off of the block myself so maybe they did some axle work to make it work?? Possible??

1 - 3 of 3 Posts