Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 91 civic SI with 215,000 miles on it and my tranny is in really good shap but my D16 sohc is done for.. so i am looking at the dohc and would it just be ok to keep the si tranny.. or is the zc tranny better and if so how much..

·
Registered
90 SI Hatch, 93 EJ1
175 Posts
the si tranny will work but the zc tranny is better it just depends on how much you want to spend. i paid around 400 for my zc tranny. if you look for a zc trans make sure you get the big axle which takes 90 - 93 teg axles and make sure its not an 88 model they have differnt splines for the clutch so you would have to get a new flywheel and clutch setup.

·
Registered
429 Posts
CiViC_SI said:
the si tranny will work but the zc tranny is better it just depends on how much you want to spend. i paid around 400 for my zc tranny. if you look for a zc trans make sure you get the big axle which takes 90 - 93 teg axles and make sure its not an 88 model they have differnt splines for the clutch so you would have to get a new flywheel and clutch setup.
If you paid around $400 just for a tranny you got screwed... A zc tranny is only around $200 shipped from hmotors... And Iv'e seen them on ebay for as little as $180 shipped....

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
Volitech said:
If you paid around $400 just for a tranny you got screwed... A zc tranny is only around $200 shipped from hmotors... And Iv'e seen them on ebay for as little as $180 shipped....
:werd:

I was able to get mine for $70 picked up from a guy that bought a complete DOHC ZC swap but used his own Si transmission.

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
The gear ratios are closer; revs don't drop as much during shifts. The bad; tall final drive. I'm swapping in a Si/EX final drive right now though(88-91 Si countershaft, and a EX differential that I'm still waiting on). I'll make a chart with the Quaife calculator for a better explanation.

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
I really like the ratios on the ZC tranny, they have the same combined 1st gear as the EF's DX but then close ratio gears thru the rest, it's great for turbo because the DX gears hook up better where the SI tranny is just a tire roaster in 1st. The best times put down by some turbo D civics were on DX trannys. The ZC tranny also has the large bearing diff which will allow install of a OBX LSD for those of us poor or not lucky enough to have a SI tranny to start with.

·
Registered
136 Posts
91_si_d16 said:
but really whats so good about the ZC tranny..
Don't forget the equal length driveshafts. Those really help to cut down on torque steer.

I like the ZC/Si final gear hybrid I am running.

Chris

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok but so its not a need to have the tranny its more of a want.. ya all i want to do is just swap in the new mottor i just want the car to have what sould have been in it when it was in japon..

·
Registered
168 Posts
sounds a little difficult. I would hate to crack open a tranny, work on it, then rely on it to get me from a to b...sounds like a nightmare.

hehe. Crack open a tranny. heh.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
will the ZC trans fit on a d16y8? will that setup help with reducing the ET's? if it were possible, could i take the diff off of my y8 trans and mate it to the ZC's trans? what would that do to the final drive?

·
Registered
222 Posts
LMAO @ russ!!!!!!!!!! so, what u guys are talking about with the DOHC zc tranny, will that be good on a set up with a d16z6?? or better yet, how about that Hybrid u guns are running? also, any info on where i can find that out at(hybrid)? like price n shit??

1 - 20 of 21 Posts