Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright guys im doin my japanees dual cam obd1 92-95 civic swap march 4th, but i need to know from you guys is whats compatable with it? rite now i got a d15b7 and im doin the swap so is my distibutor interchangeable? i need to know what is and what isnt thanks

·
Registered
977 Posts
your distributor will not bolt up to the ZC - don't know where you are getting the engine, but if from one of the JDM importers, it should come with the distributor - the MAP sensor on the OBD1 DOHC ZC is on top of the throttle body - your MAP sensor (DX, right?) is on the firewall - you want to use the one on the ZC, which means you need to unplug the connector from the MAP on the firewall and extend the three wires (by adding a short piece into them) so that the connector will reach the throttle body - the connector will plug right into the MAP - you need to put your engine harness onto the ZC and everything will plug right into the ZC - the ZC has a cast iron 4-2-1 exhaust manifold - you have 3 choices here, either use your D15B7 exhaust manifold or get a downpipe from 92-95 EX D16Z6 or get aftermarket header for 92-95 Civic - with the D15B7 manifold or the aftermarket header, the exhaust ports in the head will not line up perfectly with the ports in the header or manifold - the ports in the head are about 3mm higher in relation to the attaching bolts - you can take a die grinder and grind out the manifold or header to match the head (use 88-89 Integra exhaust manifold gasket as guide) or you can leave them unmatched if you wish - we have run them both ways and frankly can't tell much difference, if any, in how it runs - unless you get the JDM P29 ECU, you need to use the O2 sensor from your car as the OBD1 JDM DOHC ZC used a single-wire O2 sensor - the best ECU to use is the JDM P29 - you can use your ECU, it just won't run as good as it should - you can also use the Integra P75, but it may run a little rich

·
Banned
3,673 Posts
your distributor will not bolt up to the ZC - don't know where you are getting the engine, but it should come with the distributor - the MAP sensor on the OBD1 DOHC ZC is on top of the throttle body - your MAP sensor (DX, right?) is on the firewall - you want to use the one on the ZC, which means you need to unplug the connector from the MAP on the firewall and extend the three wires (by adding a short piece into them) so that the connector will reach the throttle body - the connector will plug right into the MAP - you need to put your engine harness onto the ZC and everything will plug right into the ZC - the ZC has a cast iron 4-2-1 exhaust manifold - you have 3 choices here, either use your D15B7 exhaust manifold or get a downpipe from 92-95 EX D16Z6 or get aftermarket header for 92-95 Civic - with the D15B7 manifold or the aftermarket header, the exhaust ports in the head will not line up perfectly with the ports in the header or manifold - the ports in the head are about 3mm higher in relation to the attaching bolts - you can take a die grinder and grind out the manifold or header to match the head (use 88-89 Integra exhaust manifold gasket as guide) or you can leave them unmatched if you wish - we have run them both ways and frankly can't tell much difference, if any, in how it runs - unless you get the JDM P29 ECU, you need to use the O2 sensor from your car as the OBD1 JDM DOHC ZC used a single-wire O2 sensor
great post!!

·
Registered
977 Posts
what do you mean biased? do you think with just bolt ons i can beat a 98 ex almost stock?
put a 2 1/4" exhaust all the way back with a good header and the right tires and right transmission (try to get 92-95 EX transmission) you should have no problem, although if you have LX, you have a little more weight than you would if you had a hatch - ZC in 92-95 hatch will easily be quicker than a 98 EX

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hope you enjoy your ZC, and swap. I myself swapped a ZC into my 94' hatch. I love it! As Jilicrx mentioned about the O2 Sensor, you can just use the one from your D15 manifold. If you can't find the downpipe section from a 92-95 EX or Si (D16z6) you can just use the manny from your D15. It fits the ZC head no problem. I used my D15 manny for a few days until my Si downpipe arrived in the mail. If your not going to get an aftermarket header right away. I suggest you get the EX/Si downpipe and use the ZC manifold. You will find the D15 to be more restrictive. As far as using your stock LX ECU (P06). You won't be running the way you should. Fuel/Timing will be a little off, and you will run leaner. Since finding a P29 ECU is next to impossible, I used the following solution...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-...ItemQQcategoryZ33597QQihZ019QQitemZ8024588192

This awesome eBay dewd makes P29 mapped chips for your ECU. I soldered one of these into my P06 (not as hard or scary as it sounds!), their was a HUGE and very noticeable difference. If you decide to go this route and need help, drop me a line. I'd be glad to help. Again good luck and have fun!

·
Registered
214 Posts
i used a ebay cheapy header for temp use, didnt match the ports...works great.

had my ZC DOHC in for awhile now, i love it, in fact, its in my shop now, about to HMT it !!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.