Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I use any D series crank pulley and oil pan or is there specific ones for a DOHC ZC motor?

I am buying a 90 CRX Dx, and it comes with an uninstalled DOHC ZC that needs an oil pan and crank pulley.

·
Registered
968 Posts
D16A6 oil pan will work, just not quite as deep as the ZC - the ZC holds 1/2 quart more oil - you can use any 88-91 D-series crank pulley as long as it fits the crankshaft, but i would look for one from a D16A6 - you need 88-91 if you have 88-91 alternator as the 88-91 uses a three groove alternator belt where later D-series alternators have a 4-groove belt

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.

So basically I can use all the parts I'd need off an Si motor... hmmm. As for the shallow oil pan, I'm not planning to boost it or anything, so as long as the oil pump is in the oil to suck it up, I should be fine.

And to solve the "which axles" Axle issue, I may as well toss on the Si transmission so I can use Si axles.

Seems simple enough... *gulp* I know murphy's law is going to kick my ass somewhere along the way here... :slap:

·
Registered
968 Posts
yes, basically everything internal on the DOHC ZC from the top of the block down (except timing gears and belt and pistons) is the same as the D16A6 - everything from the top of the block up is the same as 88-89 Integra D16A1 - the Si transmission is the best option for acceleration, unless you use a hybrid with the ZC 1-5 gears and the Si final drive, which requires having parts of 2 transmissions to make one

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I been reading a lot about the ZC, and it seems the Si trans is what I want. My Si was getting 33-40mpg, I don't horse the engine much, so making the swap easier, and I'll be better off.

Thanks for the help.

everything from the top of the block up is the same as 88-89 Integra D16A1
So for a timing belt, water pump, header, intake, etc... I need parts from this motor?

What ECU do you recommend? I'm guessing the Si ECU wont work since it's off a SOHC engine

·
Registered
968 Posts
just to elaborate a little - the bare ZC block is not the same as the A6 block and the bare ZC head is not the same as the A1 head - these parts are unique to the DOHC ZC

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm, I'll do a bit more research before diving into it.

Maybe jsut sell the ZC, and restore an Si motor would be the way I want to go. Like in shooting, I like ot use the acronym K.I.S.S. (Keep it simple stupid)

If I can walk into the parts store and order 5-6 parts and only have to give the [people] behind the counter 1 car, there's less chance of them screwing it up.

·
Registered
968 Posts
timing belt is same as 88 Prelude 2.0 Si - Honda Part No. 14400-PK2-004

timing belt tensioner is same as the D16A6

water pump is the same as D16A6

oil pump is the same as D16A6

use header for the 88-91 Si (the ports in the ZC head are raised about 3mm from where the A6 ports are located - to get it to line up perfectly, you need to grind out the header to match the head - we have run them without matching the ports and can see very little (if any) difference

intake for the 88-91 Si

the factory ECU for the DOHC ZC is PM7 - we find the PG7 from 88-89 Integra works just as well - the PM6 Si ECU also works about the same, however, it has fuel cut-off at about 7200rpm where the PM7 and PG7 have fuel cut-off at about 7500rpm

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, thanks. I jsut printed that so I have it. If it's THAT easy, I may jsut go ahead with the project.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Wow, thanks. I jsut printed that so I have it. If it's THAT easy, I may jsut go ahead with the project.
yeah, it is that easy - don't worry about the parts store - as long as you know what parts you need, you are set - you said the car is a DX, right? - the DX used the D15B2 engine which had Dual Point Fuel Injection - the DOHC ZC (or Si for that matter) uses Multi Point Fuel Injection - in order to run the MPFI engine in the DPFI car, you will need to do some wiring changes to convert it - not a big deal, but takes 2-3 hours to do it right - you can get instructions for converting it here:

http://www.zcspeed.com/DXZCwiring.pdf

·
Registered
968 Posts
one thing to watch out for - you said it comes with a DOHC ZC engine - is it a true DOHC ZC and not a 88-89 Integra D16A1? - some people think that the D16A1 is a ZC, which it isn't - the Integra engine doesn't bolt right in, where the ZC does

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
To be honest, I haven't picked it up yet. It's (the engine) in my friend's back yard wrapped in plastic, buried under a foot or so of snow. I'll double/triple check the engine block once i have it in the warmth of my garage. I've got to get my other w2 and get my income tax filed (turbo tax with rapid refund kicks ass) before I even pick up the car.

I have a lot of work to do on the car before i even dive into a motor swap, I'm just gathering the appropriate info so I can gather parts over time and do it right.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts