Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys I hope this hasn't been asked a million times, and if it has I am sure ya'll will let me know so... but I was planning on boosting a JDM ZC SOHC but I was also suggested to forget that a boost a d16z6... which one would ya'll suggest? ( also I am planning on getting new rod's, pistons, cam at the least before I boost fyi) anything would be appreciated

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
neither yet, I am going to be getting one or the other in a couple weeks...what I like about the ZC is that even though it already has some miles on it, I doubt I could find a z6 with less than anwhere from 25-60,000 miles on it however many the JDM's come with...that was my concern because this is going to be my everyday driver..however I heard that a zc is just an expensive z6...but yeah I am trying to decide which one to get..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well the only rebuilding I was gonna do was pistons rods and new cam , and thats just for the turbo..I wasn't really planning on doing too much more..just stuff to help the engine get ready for boost...thats why I was kinda liking the ZC more because in my opinion, and correct me if I am wrong...it would be better in the long run because I won't be rebuilding a whole lot and I would think it would be in better shape with the lower mileage

·
Hi hater!
12,548 Posts
Well actually thats what a rebuild is since you are going new pistons n rods that means fresh rings and bearings and either a hone or a bore. either will work. Lets see what others have to say about the motors I dont know much about the zc but could have sworn they were just like the z6

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
again,(2nd post just like this in past 2 days) why buy a low milage engine because its low milage, to pullall the low milage parts out and put in new parts? you can pull out old parts in higher milage engine, and be zero miles again, just like the "jdm" zc. I say find a z6 for $50-100.

·
Im Bringing TSEXY Back!
^^Look up
5,468 Posts
Lets see what others have to say about the motors I dont know much about the zc but could have sworn they were just like the z6
I'm rocking a non vtec ZC Bisi powered and it kicks ass!
The vtec ZC is the exact same as a Z6. The nontec is the same as the A6 except 10 more hp stock.
There you go. I personally like the non tec ZC, I walked all over my buddys EK gsr swap last week.

·
Hi hater!
12,548 Posts
I'm rocking a non vtec ZC Bisi powered and it kicks ass!
The vtec ZC is the exact same as a Z6. The nontec is the same as the A6 except 10 more hp stock.
There you go. I personally like the non tec ZC, I walked all over my buddys EK gsr swap last week.
I love non vtec and yours does kick ass :TU:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
all this talk about loving NON tec...all I usually hear about is how much people love Vtec... but what yall are saying is that a z6 with new pistons, rods, and what not would be just as good and a lot less expensive as well... and I wasn't just gonna get it because it's low mileage i liked the fact that it was 130HP Vtec and it was only like $600 bucks,and with a few mod's I was told I could achieve similar BHP as a b16...My goal at first was to just get around 200hp but I think i wanna go more into the mid 250's now and I want to take my sohc d engine (with turbo) and walk all over dohc's simply because I can't really afford a B swap but if I LOVE the idea of spending a lot less money and having a car just a fast if not faster than people that spend 1000's of dollars on Bswap's and what not...but really my goal is to just have a fun turbo car that can hold it down when need be, and I was reading up that for HP goals of between 200-300 that a D engine was perfect for that...

·
Registered
1993 Cobra
4,036 Posts
I think of vtec and non-vtec as the new scion commercials:

After a race, your asked "whats under the hood?" and your reply:

1. I have a 1.6 vtec. their reaction "I thought you would've done better."

or

2. I have a 1.6 non-vtec. their reaction "Man! That thing screams! Nice!!"

:TU:

Any power level achieved with VTEC, you can most certainly do the same with NON-VTEC. :TU: But, in your case boost the Z6.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah i understand that without a doubt, i know it's still gonna cost money either way. especially doing the stuff right. But what i was saying, or the way I look it as... if you get a z6 for a couple hundred...new rod's and pistons ( i have seen on ebay for like 450) new Cam, and your still under $1000 and maybe a new cam shaft which would be another couple hundred your still around $1000 or so give or take a few hundred with a Motor close to the hp of a b16 and it's ready for turbo.... compared to payin $2200 for a complete B swap which you would have to do a lot more work, compared to a D which the engine will drop right in..then if you do some other mod's to the B, or leave it...and then boost that your looking at spending anwhere from 4-5000 dollars if not more... and yes you'll have a turbo B16 but, but you'd have spend a lot more money and time on that, when you can achieve similar goals and gains with a D saving 1000 Dollars if not more. That's the was I see it, i mean correct me if I am wrong ya know...but even taking the ZC $600, rods, etc..$1000 or so...turbo around $1000 so your still in the low $2000 with that and you have a turbo car for the saem price of just a Bswap..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think of vtec and non-vtec as the new scion commercials:

After a race, your asked "whats under the hood?" and your reply:

1. I have a 1.6 vtec. their reaction "I thought you would've done better."

or

2. I have a 1.6 non-vtec. their reaction "Man! That thing screams! Nice!!"

:TU:

Any power level achieved with VTEC, you can most certainly do the same with NON-VTEC. :TU:
thats cool and all,but aren't there benefits in having Vtec?

·
Registered
1993 Cobra
4,036 Posts
VTEC was meant(at first) to try and give the driver a car that gets good gas mileage, yet still want something fun to drive. Simply put: Not in vtec= good mpg, IN vtec= performance demanded. As far as I have read and learned, a NON-vtec head flows the same if not MORE than a vtec head(hopefully I read correctly..LOL). And non-vtec setups cost less than vtec setups. Now, keep this in mind....A vtec motor is nothing without vtec(sorry, Im just an old skool kinda guy. messing around with pushrod 5.0L's :TU:) But, for you boost your Z6 for better known aftermarket.

·
Hi hater!
12,548 Posts
yeah i understand that without a doubt, i know it's still gonna cost money either way. especially doing the stuff right. But what i was saying, or the way I look it as... if you get a z6 for a couple hundred...new rod's and pistons ( i have seen on ebay for like 450) new Cam, and your still under $1000 and maybe a new cam shaft which would be another couple hundred your still around $1000 or so give or take a few hundred with a Motor close to the hp of a b16 and it's ready for turbo.... compared to payin $2200 for a complete B swap which you would have to do a lot more work, compared to a D which the engine will drop right in..then if you do some other mod's to the B, or leave it...and then boost that your looking at spending anwhere from 4-5000 dollars if not more... and yes you'll have a turbo B16 but, but you'd have spend a lot more money and time on that, when you can achieve similar goals and gains with a D saving 1000 Dollars if not more. That's the was I see it, i mean correct me if I am wrong ya know...but even taking the ZC $600, rods, etc..$1000 or so...turbo around $1000 so your still in the low $2000 with that and you have a turbo car for the saem price of just a Bswap..
There are still quite a few things that you are missing boost controller WB ecu a tune injectors intercooler fuel pump just to name a few

·
Registered
1993 Cobra
4,036 Posts
In our app I dont feel there is just another thing that can fuck up but thats my 2 cent. Everyone has an opinion
Now, I was gonna say that at first....but didnt want people with vtec to throw a hissy fit. LOL :bravo:

·
Registered
CRX, Wrangler
397 Posts
If you want cheap and quick get yourself a stock z6 longblock (Z6 would not require a OBD1 conversion harness, if you're running an OBD1 chassis) with good compression. Then get your ECU Chipped, and boost the stock internals to 200WHP and get a great tune.

That will be quicker than most B series NA swaps, and it will be your cheapest way out.

If you want more WHP than that then pick either motor - it doesn't matter one bit, because you'll be replacing all the internals anyway. You're not going to do 'just pistons, rods, and a cam', you're going to to a new HG, piston rings, rod bearings, crank bearings, pistons, rods, and assorted gaskets at a MINIMUM.

So, in conclusion - boost a stock block to 200WHP (which is generally considered the 'safe' limit), or build anything you want for nearly any horsepower you want.

-Des!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts