Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In your opinion what's a better engine? What has better aftermarket support? And how about whether or not to go Turbo or N/A. I'm looking to put either in my 90 Civic Hatch (4th gen). And if anyone knows what is the engine name for the SOHC non-vtec. I believe they are stock in 4th gen Si civics. I believe that there called the D16A6. Correct me if I'm wrong. Thank you for your opinions and your support!:dots:

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
the a6 (your right when you called it that) is gonna have more support by far. But the ZC is not a bad motor at ALL. Actually its a very nice little motor.

·
Registered
735 Posts
it really depends... are we talking about the DOHC ZC? SOHC non-vtec ZC(similar to A6)? or the sohc vtec ZC(similar to Z6)? the sohc non vtec ZC is the same as an A6 with a tiny bit more aggressive cam. the SOHC ZC has the same aftermarket support as the A6, and the vtec ZC as the Z6.

the DOHC ZC is a D but a different breed(bolts in just uses a hybrid of parts). all good platforms for a build. i would read up on the benefits and draw backs of each and compared to price to choose the best for you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it really depends... are we talking about the DOHC ZC? SOHC non-vtec ZC(similar to A6)? or the sohc vtec ZC(similar to Z6)? the sohc non vtec ZC is the same as an A6 with a tiny bit more aggressive cam. the SOHC ZC has the same aftermarket support as the A6, and the vtec ZC as the Z6.

the DOHC ZC is a D but a different breed(bolts in just uses a hybrid of parts). all good platforms for a build. i would read up on the benefits and draw backs of each and compared to price to choose the best for you.
I'm talking about the SOHC non - vtec engine out of 4th gen si civics. And yes were talking about the DOHC ZC. Sorry for the improper clarification

·
Registered
735 Posts
I'm talking about the SOHC non - vtec engine out of 4th gen si civics. the D16A6, or A6 for short.

And yes were talking about the DOHC ZC. Sorry for the improper clarification
your fine just wanted to be clear with what ZC. if I could I would've gone with a SOHC engine. (probably the A6, or Z6) and built it. the DOHC ZC is a great engine and I love it. it pulls and its a great engine (for me compared to my b2) i would recommend it for a stock upgrade. however if i was going to build a motor I would go with a SOHC because there easy to find cheap, and cheap and simple to build. the dohc zc has a cluster of different parts and a funky compression ration to work out with sohc turbo pistons(can be done) just not as easy to do as a sohc IMO. just my 2 cents.

I love my dohc ZC. but will be removing it once my Z6 is built.

·
Registered
ej2
1,226 Posts
yeah..get the a6 or the sohc nonvtec zc. (Thats what i have)

get a si tranny and bolt ons, you'll like the pull!

Do ya thing.

·
Im Bringing TSEXY Back!
^^Look up
5,468 Posts
the a6 (your right when you called it that) is gonna have more support by far. But the ZC is not a bad motor at ALL. Actually its a very nice little motor.
How so?

They have both the sane amount of support considering there the exact same engine except the ZC(non vtec sohc)has a better cam profile to work with.

n00bs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts