Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im about to pick up a SOHC non vtech ZC motor to put in my RT AWD wagon and i need some advice on some things to replace on the motor before I put it in. I was going to start with a new water pump, timing belt, and head gasket, but i wanted to know if there were any other maintenance related parts that i should replace. This is my first swap :devil2:

As for once its in...

I was think of a y8 head, and a different cam to start...

Ill be posting up pics soon...

And any advice/words of wisdom and input would really help... thanks

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
yep here is a start :worthless:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Do you have any info on the motor you got? Like miliage etc? The t-belt and w-pump are no brainers since its out, but I normally wont mess with a head gasket unless I know there was issues.

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
Thats the same as the stock motor, the d16a6. I'd also adjust valve lash....Stay away from the Y8 head personally, just put a cam in it if you want more power, sohc vtec is overrated.

Wouldn't hurt if you pull the head to replace valve stem seals.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Do you have any info on the motor you got? Like miliage etc? The t-belt and w-pump are no brainers since its out, but I normally wont mess with a head gasket unless I know there was issues.
+1 Dont mess with the head gasket but do replace the belt and pump. Go with the Z6 head if your looking for vtec, if not stay with what you have.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no real info on the motor i bought it at a motor yard... they said "low miles" but who knows>>>??? i dont there were any issues though... :thinking:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thats the same as the stock motor, the d16a6. I'd also adjust valve lash....Stay away from the Y8 head personally, just put a cam in it if you want more power, sohc vtec is overrated.

Wouldn't hurt if you pull the head to replace valve stem seals.
so no dice on the y8 head???

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
If you go with a Z6(same as d15b vtec) head, you'll really need to convert to obd1. I honestly would stay non-vtec unless yo plan on some massively build motor where you need the better flowing vtec head...I mean, in that case you could have headwork done and slightly larger valves put in the A6 head.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts