Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up im new to this site and I need help. Ive had my ZC for 2 years now and im making a big turn in it. I am in the middle of purchasing everything to build the motor for boost. I want a thicker head gasket but Inline Pro doesnt make any. Does anyone in here know who makes one or where I can locate one? It doesnt necessarily have to give it a drastic compression drop just want it thicker so they wont continuously blow. I plan on running like 15 psi on a built motor, pistons, rods, headbolt, etc etc ya know the build up routine. So please please please if you know where I can get one post in here or PM me!!! Thanks!!

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
the old one from i believe its zdyne.com, modifys regular d series head gaskets from cometic too fit ur Zc, thats ur best bet and it checks in at about 85.00, also that hks head gasket is garbage do not waste ur money

·
Registered
344 Posts
actually, i heard very bad things about the modified one. its actually a modified cometic head gasket. they don't seal worth crap. iv'e been running my hks one for 3 months with about 7 psi, and i haven't had any problems yet.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
i had my hks one , had my motor tuned, and blew it after 3 months with a 65 shot of NOS, i dunno. just a bad expirence i guess

·
Registered
432 Posts
with my experience you need to torque the metal headgaskets down just a little tighter than oem specs............VERY CAREFULLY...

the metal is a quite a bit more stronger than the factory headgasket and needs to be smashed just a little bit more for proper sealing............

·
D-Series Destruction Master
6,710 Posts
G1tegZC said:
HKS makes one..............
a metal one that is......

Its discontinued but can still be found fairlly easilly..........

Otherwise....

OEM from acura 86-89 integra
the OEM ones fit? I had one and tried to put it on my dohc ZC years ago, didn't fit.

·
11,892 Posts
G1tegZC said:
with my experience you need to torque the metal headgaskets down just a little tighter than oem specs............VERY CAREFULLY...

the metal is a quite a bit more stronger than the factory headgasket and needs to be smashed just a little bit more for proper sealing............
No. You need to torque it down to spec per the manufacturer. They issue torque specs with the part for a reason. You can't throw an extra 5 ft lbs on it and expect it to behave the same way as if it was torqued down properly.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I dont give a damn what the manufacturer tells you to torque it to......

I personaly dont agree with that...........

OEM torque specs are for putting the least amount of pressure on the bolts and threads to make the gasket seat..

metal head gaskets are not as forgiving as oem gaskets from honda.....

I personally have torqued my head bolts on my ZC's to as much as 60lb's
as compared to the 48 oem recomends....

·
11,892 Posts
G1tegZC said:
I dont give a damn what the manufacturer tells you to torque it to......

I personaly dont agree with that...........

OEM torque specs are for putting the least amount of pressure on the bolts and threads to make the gasket seat..

metal head gaskets are not as forgiving as oem gaskets from honda.....

I personally have torqued my head bolts on my ZC's to as much as 60lb's
as compared to the 48 oem recomends....
Metal HG's may not be as "forgiving" as an OEM HG but, again, torque specs are issued for a reason. IF HKS says torque it to 75 ft lbs there is an engineer somewhere that sat behind a little desk and used a pencil, paper, and calculator to determine the proper torque. More than likely this was then tested and proven to work (i.e. it's called R & D).

You may not "agree" with it. And it may be your own personal opinion but it's still bad building practice and you shouldn't encourage someone to do something stupid. The head should be toequed to spec whether it's OEM spec , ARP spec, etc. No one ever blew a HG because they torqued their head bolts / studs down to spec.

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do you think either of these gaskets can hold up to 15 psi? I doubt ill run that much but the motor will be fully built and I would probly run 12 psi on the track and maybe about 7 or 8 on the street. Would either of them hold these amounts of boost?

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well im using the HKS headgasket cuz I cant find the ZDYNE one .

·
Registered
337 Posts

·
Registered
1,303 Posts

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
and that doesnt answere the question, why should I use such an expensive gasket on an stock engine

1 - 20 of 24 Posts