Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
B-series Destroyer
4g 4d civic
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I got bored at work today and was playing with the MFactory gear,mph calculator. I decided to see how different my zc was to my b16. But, it doesn't correlate to what I remember my speed per gear being.

Not saying my memory is right, just doesn't seem to match up. So, I remember a rare zc gearbox having a different final drive and different gears. So I plugged them in and they are almost exactly what I remember.

So my question is this. Are these the right gear ratio's for the ZC gearboxes?

Gear ZC Rare ZC
1st 3.250 3.250
2nd 1.944 1.894
3rd 1.346 1.259
4th 1.033 .937
5th .878 .771
Final 3.888 4.437

I sold my zc motor, tranny and halfshaft to a buddy and they remain sitting in his garage to this day. Wondering if I need to buy it back.

·
B-series Destroyer
4g 4d civic
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a b16 now, so it really does me no good. More of a "what the hell did I do" moment.

·
B-series Destroyer
4g 4d civic
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did the DOHC ZC ever come with the 4.437 final drive?

I remember looking up the number stamped on my block and it was out of a integra xsi or zxi.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Also the Rovers that used d16a6s have a 4.4fd with si gears as you mentioned above.

Coincidently i am picking one up tomorrow. But you guys wont get rovers in the US.

They are uncommon enough in the uk.

·
Registered
ED6&7. EE4&5, MB1
200 Posts
ZXi FD (4.437) doesn't bolt to ANY other differential. The bastards.
ZXi has 12 ring gear bolts instead of 10.
OBD1 ZC transmission has also 12 ring gear bolts but being hydro it's FD (4.25) is not interchangeable with ZXi cable transmission.

Bone can correct me if ZXi & OBD1 ZC LDS/FDs are not always this way.
These are just the ones that I own.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,292 Posts
ZXi FD doesn't bolt to ANY other differential. The bastards.
ZXi Cable FD, non-LSD is just any other D series 10 bolt ring gear.

ZXi has 12 ring gear bolts instead of 10.
OBD1 ZC transmission has also 12 ring gear bolts but being hydro it's FD (4.25) is not interchangeable with ZXi cable transmission.

Bone can correct me if ZXi & OBD1 ZC LDS/FDs are not always this way.
These are just the ones that I own.
ONLY the LSD models I've seen to have different ring gears, Aquafina might know more.

Matt, I have a 4.437 ZXi FD from a ZC tranny I bought in Louisville, Roberts Imports, he has been around longer than you. I bought it for the ZC 3-4-5 but it had normal DX/Si 1-5. I ripped out the FD and sold it. Installed a OBX LSD and sold it to ryan89crx on here. The FD I just bought a few months ago, way more than what I sold it for, is like likely the one I sold, go figure.

The tranny was MINT inside.

See the mark on the ring gear for counting teeth, I have to check the one I have know. I saw my normal black mark but I can compare it now.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
I ran a cable ZXi 4.4 for a while in my Si tranny. No issues here....

But yeah there are "two" ZC gear boxes. The ones with the 4.4 FD and stock North American gearing and one with the "special" gears and a longer FD.

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,833 Posts
Yep, both my ZXi and OBD1 ZC ring gears are wrapped around factory LSDs. I'm still searching for the 10 bolt 4.437 FD for my MFactory LSD.
Cable ZXi is what you need. 71 tooth ring gear, IIRC you will need the 16 tooth pinion shaft (4.25 Si pinion works for that).

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,292 Posts
Cable ZXi is what you need. 71 tooth ring gear, IIRC you will need the 16 tooth pinion shaft (4.25 Si pinion works for that).

Please stop with the wrong info, I will ask for status upgrade.

While they might both be 16 tooth pinions, the pitch angle/tooth spacing is different. I'm willing to bet Honda has markings on the pinion/CS to note the differences.

I rarely bet on anything other than a sure thing.

Just like a ZC 30 tooth 1.033 gear does NOT interchange with another 30 tooth gear. I got those mixed up on Todd Reid's first tranny I built for him.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,292 Posts
OBD1 ZC hydro tranny (P20/B000) is Si gearing also with 4.25 FD.
except it needs the midshaft/larger inner spline setup like B's which is why I never bought one from Gil Gilbert.

Going WAY back there.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts