Discussion Starter #1
Please post your ignition improvements that you have done to your DOHC motor
plugs, wires, caps, rotors, msd, etc...

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
Nothing.

Stock cap and rotor, properly installed, NGK blue wires (using nearly anything else should be criminal), NGK V-power or racing plugs, depending on mods to the engine, and making sure that your grounds are numerous and clean. That is good for over 400WHP.

MSD 6AL boxes are complete junk. Fancy caps are typically too brittle and crack or do not have enough voltage resistance and conduct spark energy away from the actual pickups.

The best thing you can do for your ignition is so chip the ECU and run the EDM PM7 timing maps. They run way better and are what I base nearly all my DOHC ZC timing maps on with very great success.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MSD are good for carb engines which run fat at low rpm and the multiple sparks burn the fuel (carbs that run fat in the low end are so they do not run lean at top end) and with poorly designed combustion chambers. We used them in nascar but were able to spin those to 9000 rpm. Just looking at options since i did not find too much in the search engine.. Thanks for the comments

·
Registered
952 Posts
we run MSD 8979 multi-function ignition controller, MSD 6AL ignition, MSD coil, MSD cap and rotor and MSD wires - everything works like a dream - we are running dual Weber carbs and run it to 8200 rpm

1 - 8 of 8 Posts