Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if it is possable to get a zc 3rd gear without buying the whole tranny. and if so where can i get one. Right now in my buddies car that ive been building for him we have a hf case with a y7 diff si final drive, si 1st through 3rd, hf 3rd for 4th and a si 5th but id like 2 shorten up 3rd a little without having to spend a ton of money. this has been a budget build and so far it has turned out really well but 3rd kinda sux

And if anyone wants to know what kind of build it is, its a 91 ef hatch with a obd1 swap, chipped p28 tuned on crome, d16z6, p29 pistons, acl bearings, stock z6 head for now other then the comp stage 2 cam. also have a y8 intake mani and b18b throttle body that i will b putting on soon. and then it has the regular bolt on's like exhaust, header, cold air intake and then i tuned it on crome. goes really good! have beat every b series we have raced with it and beat a friend of ours 03 rsx type s the other night. But anyway back to the 3rd gear deal. it seems like it would go better if it had a little shorter 3rd. his dad works a garish honda so im gonna have his dad see if he can look it up and see if he can get it but if not i was wondering where everyone on here gets them. Thanks.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,312 Posts
if you get DAMN lucky and find a ZC 3-4 gear set for under $200, GRAB IT!

That is if I or someone else doesn't grab it first. The parts were only available thru Honda of Japan, but they sold out a long time ago, like 10 years ago!

Now if "playing" on the street from a roll like 50 mph, HF 1-2, Si 3rd, HF 4th, choice of 5th.

You be at about 5100 rpms at 50mph in 2nd gear.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Why would i want a longer gears... HF 1st and second are way to long. Right now we have a HF case with y7 diff, SI final drive, SI 1st through 3rd, HF 3rd for 4th and a SI 5th. What im trying to do is shorten up 3rd a little not lengthen the gears...

Also i wouldn't need the zc 4th because its the same gear as the hf third that's why i swapped that out already. I just want to find the zc 3rd...

·
Registered
889 Posts
Good luck. Lots of ppl have been looking for a while.

If you keep your eyes open onthe forums you may come across one!

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
i had to pay a lot for mine.

theres a ZC tranny for sale locally, but im just too broke to spend another $200 on gears. im sure ill regret it if i ever have issues with the ones i have now... :(

and one set i bought off a member here has some chunks missing from the gears... talk about stress risers!

it was well worth it to pay a few extra dolla to get mint one from aquafina. thanks again jesus.

·
Registered
1996 Civic Type DX
4,167 Posts
I'm all out of them. You got the last 3rd gear I had. Have a lot of 1.033/1.066's though.

For what you'll pay for a good 3-5 set (most won't split the 3rd gear, I only did since Danz has been a great customer and needed one bad) you can get an MFactory 1.565 3rd and use a 1.250/1.259 3rd as 4th, that is if you can use a 3/4 that short for the intended driving. Otherwise if you want a short 3rd, use a longer 2nd as bone suggested. Doesn't help any from a 3rd roll or 4-3 downshift, but makes 3rd shorter when upshifting from 2nd.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,312 Posts
Why would i want a longer gears... HF 1st and second are way to long. Right now we have a HF case with y7 diff, SI final drive, SI 1st through 3rd, HF 3rd for 4th and a SI 5th. What im trying to do is shorten up 3rd a little not lengthen the gears...

Also i wouldn't need the zc 4th because its the same gear as the hf third that's why i swapped that out already. I just want to find the zc 3rd...
HF 1st is same as every other 88-00 first gear. You never listed intended purpose so I have to ASSUME you were "playing" from a roll.

The HF second is great for this game. It would make the 2-3 shift shorter and be a lot cheaper than finding a ZC 3rd.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well i ment that we are building it to run at our local dragstrip. we want to get it into the 13's at least. so a longer 2nd would make it worse. man i wish mfactory was cheaper

1 - 8 of 8 Posts