Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i couldn't find a write up on this swap. I got this motor off someone, its a JDM 1.6 ZC motor non vtec, and the guy said its also an A6 from a crx SI. I wanna swap the heads and put my Z6vtec head on it, and boost it. am i gonna run into any problems like the timimg belt and what not. The reason i bought the motor,was because it had ARP head studs in it already, and i heard those blocks are good on low end tourque, and Im gonna want to swap the head because my car is already OBD1

·
Registered
829 Posts
yup the a6 block is one of the best same as the z6 head it will bolt up just fine just make shure you remove the oil jet

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
alright cool thanks, so other than that everything is just bolt in, and what motor should i buy a timing belt for z6 or a6

·
Registered
829 Posts
yup dont use the carboard A6 gasket use the z6 metal head gasket and use the si/ex timing belt i think its the same as the a6 but im not positve and yes the a6 or z6 head bolts will work fine if the a6 timing belt looks good try and see if it fits oh and what ecu are you going to be running?

oh and with the z6 head gasket it will give you a 9.96:1 compression ratio
vs 9.71:1 with the a6/b7 gasket and no need to scrape the gasket off when you remove the head like the the a6/b7 gaskets.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
im gonna run a p28 then get it chipped at tuning, and one other question lol, (NOOB) u said 9.96:1 compression ratio vs 9.71:1, i dont understand what compression ratio numbers mean?

·
Registered
29 Posts
hey guys, im new to hondas and have been reading around on this site quite a bit. swapping to a z6 head, wouldnt you need to advance the cam a degree or two since the head has a smaller combustion chamber. It would be like shaving the a6 head to get the same compression. Ive been told when you shave the head instead of getting higher compression pistons, that you need to get adjustable cam gears and advance it accordingly.

·
Registered
29 Posts
to the OP, why dont you just swap the whole engine instead of just the head. a typical z6 engine goes for about 550-600. seems like it would be alot easier if you do it that way and just you the tranny that you are using now.

·
D-Series Destruction Master
6,710 Posts
to the OP, why dont you just swap the whole engine instead of just the head. a typical z6 engine goes for about 550-600. seems like it would be alot easier if you do it that way and just you the tranny that you are using now.
it's quicker and cheaper to do a head swap. Not everyone has the $500+ just laying around for another motor, along with a hoist...or the time to do it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
it's quicker and cheaper to do a head swap. Not everyone has the $500+ just laying around for another motor, along with a hoist...or the time to do it.
just a suggestion. i figured if the OP had money to boost his car, then he would have money to buy a used motor and do it that way. I understand not everyone has $500+ just laying around but that is why you save money up. i was gonna do the z6 head swap but figured out that by doing it that way vs buying a whole engine, the price difference is really only a couple hundred dollars. that couple hundred might save u alot of frustration and questions. but to each his own.

·
D-Series Destruction Master
6,710 Posts
just a suggestion. i figured if the OP had money to boost his car, then he would have money to buy a used motor and do it that way. I understand not everyone has $500+ just laying around but that is why you save money up. i was gonna do the z6 head swap but figured out that by doing it that way vs buying a whole engine, the price difference is really only a couple hundred dollars. that couple hundred might save u alot of frustration and questions. but to each his own.
what's a project without questions and frustration? That's why we're here, to help with those.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts