Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Honda?
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time for a noob question I hope someone can help me with. I have a D16Z6 with a hole in the block and a spun bearing. I’m gonna take the head off and inspect it for any messed up valves, and if it’s still good, try to rebuild it using another block. Thing is, I’m trying to stay cheap since this is my first engine build and I’ll probably tear something up.

I found a D16Y8 block, crank and girdle for helllllla cheap. Thing is, it’s just that: A bare block, crank and girdle. No oil pump, no nuts/bolts, no nothin’! I was wondering, how much of the nuts/bolts can I use for the Y8? I imagine I could use the Z6 alternator (will be retaining OBD1 status on the engine), oil pan and such , but the girdle bolts, water pump, oil pump etc etc I’m not sure about. If not, I’ll just keep looking for a Z6 block instead. Thanks.

·
Registered
193 Posts
i say just get an engine that has it all. its gonna be a hassle trying to locate all those bolts and parts, especially if its your first build. just my opinion.

·
Registered
907 Posts
If you have a junkyard nearby, go find a Z6 there and just take good notes and pictures or lots of ziplock bags and a marker. That would be the cheaper route plus if a bolt seizes, strips or snaps off, you aren't messing up your engine (assuming you go the "buy a new motor" route)

·
Registered
Honda?
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I have the head off the engine, but then it got dark and had to stop (was in the shed since it was 65 degrees today). I'll continue later.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts