Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it has been a while since I have been here but I haven't been trolling forums much lately.

Anyway, a few new parts have entered my parts bin along with the old...

First, I have a blown D16Y8 (crank and one of the rods are garbage) but the block itself has VERY LITTLE damage. The rod didn't come completely off the crank and there is no scoring on the cylinder wall. The crank is dark and the rod shot (bearing went) but everything else is fine. The head is in perfect condition and only has 160,000km on it.

Next, I have the bottom end off of a D16Z6. It came out of a 5th gen coupe whose previous owner thought it was 'knocking' but the person who pulled it out of the car said there was no play in it. They said the transmission that was with the motor was garbage though. I am thinking that is what was knocking but I am not certain. The person who gave me the motor said it could use rod bearings and rings just to be on the safe side, but that everything on it seems fine.

So, question time...

1) Using the available parts, what is the best solution for building a mild turbo setup? D16Y8 rebuild with original head or the D16Z6 with the Y8 head?

2) What are the advantages/disadvantages of putting a Y8 head on the Z6 bottom end as opposed to just running the Y8?

3) For a turbo setup, what kind of pistons would you suggest? I have heard that running a thicker gasket as opposed to a lower compression piston is more likely to fail. Is this true?

Any other information you could provide me would be excellent.

Cheers

·
Registered
110 Posts
The only thing I can tell you is to not run the z6/y8 head combo. A friend has a Na build and hateshill self for doing that lol.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Yes, do will need one head bolt from your Y8 and the rest from a Z6. The one head bolt from the Y8 will go in the top left corner closest to the VTEC solenoid. I personally like this combo. This is the combo I'm going with for my next build.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts