Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pics coming soon. WOW what a nightmare. Heres the rundown hang on folks its gonna be a long ride:

Purchased a Z6 with supposedly 100k miles and ran. HAH sure it did. I drove 16 hours to pick it up after waiting 5 weeks for the deadbeat to ship it. It never happened and once I saw the engine on the pallet hah, he never made an attempt to ship it. So I get it home, tear it down and find a damn mess. Head gasket has holes burnt in it, burnt oil in all the coolant passeges, front cover literaly melted to the head. This thing got hot, really hot!! well I guess time to go all out.

Tomorrow the block is getting sent to the machine shop to have a good cleaning and a basic checkover. Hopefully theres no hidden damage and it can be salvaged. I really dont want to spend an assload of cash on this but if push comes to shove oh well right? Now heres my dilema...

If the block is ok stock internals go back in, new rings bearings etc of course. I will be using my JRSC with the 8psi pulley off of my old engine. I thought about finaly installing my homemade water/alcohol injection setup and turning up the timing. Question...to vtec or not to vtec??? Right now fuel is delivered from a walbro pump, stock injectors and an FMU. What would you suggest.

Option 2: If the block is good but needs to be bored (due to the rust) then I am going with internals. JE pistons/eagle rods/arp blah blah blah. At 8psi this thing will not even be pushed to its limits but I will have peace of mind.

Option 2 1/2: block is good it gets bored, pistons, rods, blockguard, jrsc goes back on, larger injectors go in (what size???) wet nitrous setup and what to use for fuel control? will a SAFC be sufficiant? I cant justify Hondata's cost on a daily driver with some track time. Neither can my wife lol!!!

I have a budget of about 2-3k and will be doing all the labor myself minus the machine work doh! I would really like to work in a Quaife as I have already blown up 2 trannies but thats 750 right off the top of the budget I know my clutch wont hold but its not that old. Clutchmasters stage1 :(
What would you do in my situiation? Whatever you do dont say "just freshen the engine and build a turbo" NO this is what I have to work with and would like to use it. Maybe build the engine for a future turbo yes, but not at the moment. Got to start at the bottom :)

Again heres what we have to work with...

Z6 that needs help, lots of help!! the head will be taken care of nothing fancy. 3angle with a mild port
walbro intank 255 high flow high volume pump
Cartech adjustable rising rate FMU up to 15:1
JRSC w/8psi pulley
Water/alcohol injection set to kick in at 6psi boost.
4-1 Kamikazi header
full 2.5" exhaust no cat
SI trans just dying for an LSD
and a budget of 3k max!! That is all I want to spend before my wife cuts my nads off and sells them on ebay....only to not ship them after payment.

O

·
0 Posts
well first off from expirnec,e if the motor got hot enough to mel thr valve cover. do not use it. take it back tot he guy and get your $ back. why? what happens in a lto of the cases where the alloy honda blocks get that hot is it changes the metal structure of the cast iron sleeves thus makign them extreemly brittle. if a shop tries to deck the block to make it straight it causes it to crumble at the edges. the alloy is also a lot more brittle this causing it to warm and have heat spots that cab turn quickly into hard spots and crank soon after. your far better off going to a junker getting a $250 core engine and doing a basic rebuild. I would hate for you to put $ into a motor that is questionable such as that one. I'll say this, I'ld never use that motor for anything but a boat anchor because of the potential damage to it structurely. It's one thing to have a headgasket blow and it overheat. it's anotehr to have it overheat so much, the valvecover melts.

if you do a rebuild May i please suggest you do a 75.5 bore (.5mm overbore over stock) it will allow the walls to be cleaned up properly and the motor to be properly spected to the pistons. The postons I only use are endyn rollerwaves. I've been using them for yrs. They are custom redesigned wisco pistons and work better than any others on the market. Endyn also has the best QA i've ever seen. they mic and spec each piston before they ship them. No one else does that. They evne take off the sharp corners for you because sharp edges cause heat spots and that causes detonatino. So by smothening them out slightly it makes for a much better design and even better running motor as far as flow and combustion are concerned.

the eagle rods are fine. i recommend them. Als only use HONDA factor bearings and seals. I would while your at it, get a cometic headgasket from endyn. They run about $120 or so, but are so much better than others and won't blow under boosting. Endyn also has a pully upgrade that will allow you to run up to like 10-11 psi of boost from your SC. so I'm sure they'll sell you one of those too if you ask.

www.theoldone.com is their site.

Hope this info helps.

·
Premium Member
5,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah sure take it back...it cost me 160 in gas money round trip. Or I could just ship it back for 220 and ask for my money back. ALL $300 of it lol and call the 400 in gas or shipping a loss? I am looking at another block right now as I feel the same way you do. I just dont trust this damn thing. The head also but I would really hate to call the whole thing a complete loss. I may just throw it together and deal with it before building up a nice engine. I should know today or tomorrow what the condition of the block is. I will decide from there I guess. It really pisses me of how many scammers are out there ESPECIALY in the Honda world.

O

·
0 Posts
sowwy :( well chalk this oen up as a $300 lesson learned. never get a motor form a individual unless you know them. always get a junkyard one. why? they will replace it or refund your $ if it's bad. the head will need a LOT of workig to seat proeprly and to remove the warpage. the valves coudl ahev shifted and if they did, the head is junk. a lto fo "machien shops" who have deal with msotly domestics won't be able to catch this. so your goign to have to get them to specifically look into that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts