Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys I had a few questions:

I am in the middle of building a single cam for boost, I think i have almost everything to complete the build and now i have a few delemas
I am using eagle h beam rods and i have an already notched y8 block to use
but i was talking to a buddy of mine and he said that the y series have an oil starvation problem. Now here are my questions, how true and proven is this and and if so i also have a z6 block i could use but wondering can i use the y8 crank in the z6 block, or if i stuck with the y8 setup is there another kind of girdle i can use that has oil squirters or something of that nature so that i can use the y8 block/crank i am not too sure on how this oil thing works and what is the cause of it so if you could ellaborate i would really appreciate it thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
i think that the y8 just had a weaker oil pump and not as good of a pick up. i would go with the z6 block but i dont think the y8 crank will work.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
go z6 ull save ur self time and trouble y8 is good if u modefy ur oil pump or buy a hp one

·
Registered
233 Posts
So say you just got your y8 block back from the machine shop and really dont want to use a z6 block? who makes a good after market oil pump or what else can I do to fix this problem?

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
port polish and shim the y8 pump and you'll be fine. there are guys making 400whp+ on y8 blocks.

there is a thread on turbod16.com on how to port/polish and shim the pump

yes the z6 block has a better oil pump setup but if you already had machine work done on your y8 just go with it.

-Luke

·
Registered
216 Posts
i cant use a z6 oil pump on a y8 block, what is this toga thing,and a y8 crank wont go in a z6 block??
Dip stick location, z6 is on the block y8 is on the pump. I remember reading that the z6 pump fits but you would have no dipstick on a y8 with this. Perhaps I read incorrectly, if someone wants to set the record straight on this that would be rad =)

·
Registered
4,732 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thank you man thats funny because i was just looking at that from when you suggested that to another guy now if i buy that i can use my y8 setup crank/block and have no worries i am trying to make about 400 hp maybe a little less and i dont want to have any worries

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
yeah, im in the same boat as you. I built my Y series block....instead of a Z6..not knowing about this problem. until after the machine work..lol, but ive got over 2000 miles on it..shes running perfect still so far.

·
Registered
402 Posts
port polish and shim the y8 pump and you'll be fine. there are guys making 400whp+ on y8 blocks.

there is a thread on turbod16.com on how to port/polish and shim the pump

yes the z6 block has a better oil pump setup but if you already had machine work done on your y8 just go with it.

-Luke
Agreed. I can also confirm that by using a Z6 oil pump on a Y8 block, you would have no oil dipstick, so don't do that.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
besides the oil pump the z6 had some other oiling advantages, iirc the crank had 2 oil holes per journal instead of 1 like the y8. also i dont think the pickup is different between them

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I have 140k on my Y8/Y7. When will I be experiencing this oiling problem? (As long as it's not Fri.)
oiling problem is prevelant because of the FI applications. increasing the power of the motor has requirements.

aslong as you consistently change your oil and filter and don't beat on it to redline that oil pump should last the life of the car. (Of course im sure there is a honda recommended life span of the part)

-Luke

1 - 20 of 28 Posts