Honda D Series Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well not the same as in completely interchangable, but the internal components are interchangable(however, it will make no difference in flow to do that or use one instead of the other). I figured now was the time to point this out since I have seen so many posts bad mouthing the Y8 pumps. Since a picture is worth 1000 words here you go(here are 5000 words for you):

Just understand one thing, although spinning a rod bearing is more likely on a Y8, it does still happen on a Z6, and I could tell you it is NOT due to the pump. Here I just show that you can swap the internals from one to the other as well as the covers. I have measured them both and they are 100% identical in size. So before you go blaming the pump for spinning a rod bearing on a Y8, please do a more in depth failure analysis.

I know all of you will be saying, but the Z6 flows more than the Y8, just look at the specs. To that I will say, a specified flow rate of a “system” is not only dependant on the source(pump).

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have both blocks side by side on engine stands and this ^^^ is one of the only differences I see between the 2.

However, I have seen so many posts these past few days saying the Y8 pump is inferior and how a Z6 pump doesn't need porting. I just wanted to set that record straight. Both will benefit from porting.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Good info!! Thanks for the confirmation on the pumps. To many people read one thing on the internet and spread around mis-information because they think there helping.

·
Hi hater!
12,548 Posts
Then explain why the HONDA service manual shows a difference in flow between them. What you might be thinking is the same clearly is not. The Y oil pump flows less than the Z and A. I dont understand what is so hard for people to understand this. Can you over come this yes of course you can. Just takes a little work hell to be honest the whole SOHC oiling system plain sucks balls in general biggest culprit of engine failure spun god damn bearings

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Then explain why the HONDA service manual shows a difference in flow between them. What you might be thinking is the same clearly is not. The Y oil pump flows less than the Z and A. I dont understand what is so hard for people to understand this. Can you over come this yes of course you can. Just takes a little work hell to be honest the whole SOHC oiling system plain sucks balls in general biggest culprit of engine failure spun god damn bearings
I know all of you will be saying, but the Z6 flows more than the Y8, just look at the specs. To that I will say, a specified flow rate of a “system” is not only dependant on the source(pump).
This is what I mean. These kinds of posts that people put out there with no real backing.

I have proven that the physical size of both pumps are identical. Now you prove to me how in the world can one pump generate more flow than the other. The fact is, in and by itself it can't!

Now with different restrictions set by the system(Z system vs Y system) you will get different flow rates. So don't go and say that the Z6 pump is better and the Y8 pump is worst,... Say the truth of the matter is, based on different designs in the Y8 oiling system vs the Z6, the Z6 is a little better, but still restrictive.

·
Registered
2007 Dodge ram
293 Posts
Maybe the difference in pumps lies in the size of the oil passages and ports... Looking at the pictures you have here the Z6 main oil passage/port is clearly larger than the y8 by what looks to be 2mm... If that is the case (and I suspect it is) then the Z6 pump as an assembly will flow more volume...

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Lol boosted-eh beat me to it. The helms/fsm has flow numbers for both and I was almost certain I remember reading that they were different: z6 having considerable more flow.

-Luke

·
Registered
5,872 Posts
z6 pump versus y8 pump, BOTH ARE THE SAME

pump HOUSING z6 versus y8, z6 flows more

if both are port matched, tehy will be 100% identical in flow

in factory form, z6 pump is better

in ported and modified form, btoh are identical IN POTENTIAL FLOW

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
did u flow test both pumps? just cause you measure them still gotta flow them.
Really? I tell you what, I measured and posted my results. You flow test them and post your results. My money is on physics and not magic.

Maybe the difference in pumps lies in the size of the oil passages and ports... Looking at the pictures you have here the Z6 main oil passage/port is clearly larger than the y8 by what looks to be 2mm... If that is the case (and I suspect it is) then the Z6 pump as an assembly will flow more volume...
Nope, both inlet and outlet ports were compared with my calipers and they were identical.

Lol boosted-eh beat me to it. The helms/fsm has flow numbers for both and I was almost certain I remember reading that they were different: z6 having considerable more flow.

-Luke
Please read my 1st post and my reply and once again, I am comparing PUMP for PUMP, not system for system, which is why everyone keeps quoting the Honda manual.

z6 pump versus y8 pump, BOTH ARE THE SAME

pump HOUSING z6 versus y8, z6 flows more

if both are port matched, tehy will be 100% identical in flow

in factory form, z6 pump is better

in ported and modified form, btoh are identical IN POTENTIAL FLOW
I would tend to agree with your reasoning too, but the fact is the ports are the same as well(casting volume may be slightly different due to design changes when they had to add the crank sensor mounting and oil dip stick, but not by 30% like most claim to be).

However, I will say that potential flow for both is identical and why I say even Z6's benefit from some porting.

When it comes to the rest of the oiling system design, I will tend to agree (as I have been all along) that the Z6 design is slightly better.

People just don't like to keep an open mind about things and will always go with the "flow." It is just easier for people to say and think, the pump is inferior and that's that.

·
Registered
5,872 Posts
The extreme outlets are the same

but the channels from the rotor and shaft are different

Wheres your information/ proof? no need to spew shit outta your mouth.
shut the fuck up

if you call someone out, proof is quite handy at making you less of an ass and more of a teacher

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
To all that read this, please don't make it a Z6 vs Y8 battle. That is not what I am trying to do here. I am trying to get the message out there that the pump is not the problem. The D16Z series is slightly better in oiling, BUT NOT DUE TO THE PUMP!!!!! When people post, “You have a Z6, you don’t need to worry about the oiling issues, your pump is superior.” They are spreading misinformation. The fact is all D16 should worry about oiling issues and should consider porting all restrictive areas leading to the rod bearings. Moreso on the Y series, but for reasons other than the pump.

Mattliston,
Thanks for your contribution. Unlike others that just like to say “based on Honda manual,… blah blah blah," you are actually trying to see what the true differences are that may contribute to difference in flow rate. I will check to see if I have a Y8 pump that I haven’t ported. The one in the picture is one I used to practice before I ported the new Y8 pump, so passage ways may not be able to be compared. But let me see exactly what I have.

·
Registered
5,872 Posts
For those that must see pictures, I dont have oil pumps in my hands to take pictures

Since so many motherfuckers automatically assume one thing over another, isnt it obvious proof is hard to find?

you can see in the pictures what parts of the metal were touched.

even on the d16y8 pump, you can see how its channels are still slightly smaller then the z6

for those thick headed, they are interpreted by the Z and Y markings

all you need is vision now.

·
Registered
348 Posts
good thread!! I just bought a z6 to rebuild instead of a y8 because of the oiling issues, either way the z6 has better oiling, but I'm still curious to see, maybe we can find exactly what makes the difference. 97-Civic-Ex has pretty much prven that the gears and housing are the same anyways.

I don't know if its misinformation or not as I'm pretty new to the D, but I know I've read a thread or two about porting the y8 pump and they explained what they improved to make it flow like the z6.

If I can ever get a strong enough impact wrench I'll take my JDM zc oil pump off and compare the passageways.

Nick

·
Registered
348 Posts
^^
Lol, you scared me there, I actually went up and checked the top of the thread to make sure I hadn't posted in something that was a thousand years old.

But do dig up the archives! info is good

Nick

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
*Sighs*

They are very different. The rotors are only part of the equation. What you don't show is perhaps more important than what you pics actually do show.

Realize this: You are basically saying the housing has NO EFFECT on flow. Tell that to people who swap housings on their turbos.

This thread is 95% ghey.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.