Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Guys, need some help to diag a problem I have going on with my z6 Vitara/Ibeam build.
Background info: Car is a 94 CX hatchback, motor is a full Z6 motor that was bored to 75.5 with .00035 P2W. Vitara/Ibeam/ACL bearing combo from FJ. Also has Supertech valve springs and Skunk2 intake mani. Stock P06 ecu (no vtec hooked up yet)

Assembled everything to the best of my knowledge. Cranked it up and runs like Dog Doo Doo. Well more like a Subby WRX.

I have torn the timing down 3 times, changed plug wires twice, 2 sets of plugs, 2 dizzy's, every wire has spark out of cap and at plug, each injector is pulsing (noid light), compression test yielded 150-155 across the board, valves have been adjusted to factory specs. Have sprayed intake mani and TB for vac leaks.

Car cranks right up, but idles like crap, if revved up, it will usually die when it comes back down. Car has not been driven in 8 months and since cranked up has not left the garage.....Any suggestions, or any advice, would greatly appreciate it. Thanks,

·
Registered
487 Posts
Do you have any CEL? Are you running stock injectors? Are you sure you did the mechanical timing correctly?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you have any CEL? Are you running stock injectors? Are you sure you did the mechanical timing correctly?
No CEL, using stock injectors that were running the 1.5 that came in the car, and timing has been done and re-done about 8 times. I first had an S2 cam gear on it, then took it off, threw stock cam gear on, and same exact thing happens.

are you running coolant in the system. its common for the iacv to act up after you drain and refill coolant when swapping out motors. it needs to be bled.
try unplugging the iacv whille the engine is warm to see if the idle goes back to normal
Yes, I do have coolant along with a new aluminum radiator. I have unplugged it and car died. I don't recall if the motor was exactly at operating temp when I unplugged it. How else would I bleed it?
Thanks,

·
Registered
487 Posts
When you set the timing did you set it using the 7 o'clock mark?

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Bleed the coolant system correctly with either the radiator cap or the bleed valve. Also check all of your ground locations to ensure they are secure and clean. The main harness ground by the thermostat housing is the VERY important one.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bleed the coolant system correctly with either the radiator cap or the bleed valve. Also check all of your ground locations to ensure they are secure and clean. The main harness ground by the thermostat housing is the VERY important one.
Car was started with cap off and reached operating temp for fan to come on. Then coolant was topped off again. All grounds have been cleaned and tightened.

·
Registered
79 Posts
i have the same problem with my d16 turbo vitara shit. mine idles like shit and breaks up from around 1500-3000 rpm and then it goes away.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i have the same problem with my d16 turbo vitara shit. mine idles like shit and breaks up from around 1500-3000 rpm and then it goes away.
This does not go away, as soon as the car is started it seems to miss and break up, and any kinda revving is the same way, it never clears up. Starting to think it may be fuel related.

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
Isn't the po6 ecu a non vtec ecu? Thought the stock ecu was a p28. Try a p28 and see what happens. Your maps may be all wrong. Is the vtec locked in place mechanically? If not you may be running everything with the wrong settings. I'm under the assumption that a non vtec motor has the valves opening at the same height at all times and the vtec's valves open differently. and your z6 cam has different cam profiles than a non vtec cam. Hence why I'm assuming it's the ecu. Someone correct me if I'm wrong because I'm always happy to be corrected when wrong.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Isn't the po6 ecu a non vtec ecu? Thought the stock ecu was a p28. Try a p28 and see what happens. Your maps may be all wrong. Is the vtec locked in place mechanically? If not you may be running everything with the wrong settings. I'm under the assumption that a non vtec motor has the valves opening at the same height at all times and the vtec's valves open differently. and your z6 cam has different cam profiles than a non vtec cam. Hence why I'm assuming it's the ecu. Someone correct me if I'm wrong because I'm always happy to be corrected when wrong.
At the moment I do not have vtec wired up as I was just wanting to see if the car was even going to crank after my lengthy build. I changed to another fuel rail, injectors, and FPR. Now the car runs and will crank every time, but now it seems to LOAD up when revving or giving any kind of throttle. Will idle for a minute to a minute and a half then just die out on its own. Kinda like something is triggering to shut it off (maybe something is getting hot/electrical parts or fuel maybe).....any suggestions from here guys?

·
Registered
487 Posts
I ran my D16z6 with a P06 for a couple of months before I went with a chipped P28 and it ran fine even passed emissions too. So I'm going to suggest it's something else.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts