Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought this head and when I got it home, found one of the longer valve cover screws nearest the V-tec solonoid was broke off inside the threaded hole of the head. I tried drilling it out but it has to be drilled out very precise. My tool was limited to just a hand jobby 1/2" drill. I then proceeded to break a tape inside my crooked hole which makes it next to impossible to drill out again. I thought I might thread a soft soft screw in there, Break it off and try drilling straighter lol. Any ideas on how to fix this problem, I looked to see if there were any spots to drill my own hole into the head but there is no room. i was toying with the idea of fastening a screw into the side of the the had and Valve cover. Then tighting one of those screw hose clamps between them to hold the cover down but thats ghetto. Has anyone had this same problem and How did you go about it?
Thanks in advance

·
Happy LiL Trees....
1,245 Posts
You may need a dremel and a stone grinding bit, then re-tap the threads. use air to continually blow out the shavings. What "bit" were you using to drill it out?

·
Registered
818 Posts
i had that same problem 3 days ago...i just took a screw driver and literally unscrewed it out...it came out so easyly i was amazed :) i didnt do this as soon as it broke off though...i just left it inthere for about a week...i think the vibrations got it loose

·
Registered
67 Posts
If you broke a tap in it its going to be a little difficult to get out. But if you didnt ruin the threads you can take a nice, sharp punch and just back the broken bolt out by hitting it out with a hammer. Its a little difficult to explain but really easy. Just basically try turning it out with the punch while tapping it with the hammer. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
212 Posts
guscivic did tha same as me,, i tapped a flat head screw driver on tha top of tha broken bolt with a hammer, it made a small groove and then twisted it out like a flat head screw... ur going to have bits of aluminum floating around so clean her out, dont need that shit floating around inside!

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
if you have a dremel use the carbon cutting disk to make the slash then use a flat head screw driver to back it out

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
if you have a dremel use the carbon cutting disk to make the slash then use a flat head screw driver to back it out
he beat em to it. thats the best method for me :D

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
if its surface is below deck, you can always use a chisel to gently tap it out. just slowly tap it to the Left.

same technique i use to remove ignition switches

·
Poop Sock
wrx & slut rex
3,798 Posts
Use a reverse drill bit
X2! I used a left handed drill bit a few days ago to get a broken motor mount bolt out. worked like a charm. it drilled in enough to get a good hold and then the broken bolt caught on to the bit and it just unscrewed its way out. gl

1 - 12 of 12 Posts