Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got the Z6 in the HX (obd2a) with my conversion harness, etc. The car is running, but I am getting CEL 9, which is CYP. I tried a second distributor, but it was from a junkyard so there is a chance that it was taco'd too.

I have searched and read a ton of threads on this, but I wanted to ask this particular for clarification:

I measured the resistance of both CYP sensors and they came out at 389 and 391 ohms, which is between the 350-700ohm spec, albeit on the low end. This was measured at the dizzy AND at the ECU plug, so there is no break in the wire or short or any of that stuff.

Since I am getting the correct resistance at the ECU, I am thinking it could be the ECU. I bought a "verified working virgin not fucked with blah blah blah" ecu off of ebay (P28 auto). I converted it to manual, chipped it myself, and I'm running eCtune. I'm sure even thought it was said to be verified working, that it could be the problem.

Has anyone ran into this? Supposed good ECU, but getting correct CYP resistance, and ended up being the ECU?

·
Registered
97 EJ6 boosted D16Z6
1,079 Posts
how did you wire your obd1 distributor to your obd2a harness?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Clipped the plug off of my OBD2a distributor and soldered it to the wires on the OBD1 distributor.

The wire colors were an exact match, i.e:

OBD2a ---> OBD1

org/blu --> org/blu
wht/blu --> wht/blu

Every OBD2a color matched the OBD1 color.

I am assuming that it is correct since when I measured pins 11 and 12 on the ECU end (connector B I think it was? The smallest one) which corresponds to the CYP wires I got the correct resistance.

·
Registered
97 EJ6 boosted D16Z6
1,079 Posts
obd2a-name-obd1-color--------desc.
C02---CKPP-B15---Blue/Green-CKP Ground, P side input
C03-- -TDCP-B13--Orange/Blue-TDC Ground, P side input
C04-- -CYPP-B11--Orange-----CYP sensor, P side input
C13-- -TDCM-B14--White/Blue-TDC Ground, M side signal
C14-- -CYPM-B12--White-----CYP Ground, M side signal
the colors do line up. but did you get them all?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I was just being lazy, sorry.

There should be nine wires total. The OBD2a was all nine in one plug and the OBD1 was seven in one and two in another.

I found a guy that is selling a P28 auto ECU locally, so I'm gonna pick that up and convert it to auto, chip it, blah blah blah, and see if that fixes the problem.

I wanna get another dizzy too, but I'd like a working used OEM one; unfortunately they seem to be hard to come by. It would be nice to have both on hand in case it is one and not the other. Oh well, if it's not the ECU I'm sure I can sell it.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I picked up the new ECU and distributor for my car yesterday. Moved my Demon and everything over to the new ECU and hooked it up. Threw a CYP light immediately.

Measured the CYP sensor resistance of the new distributor, same as the two "bad" distributors. Here is when I started to worry that it was some asinine problem that I'd never find, but I swapped in the new distributor anyway.

Fired it up, no more CYP light! So I broke the engine in last night, and she's running strong. Once I put a few more miles on her, the turbo kit will go on.

·
Registered
97 EJ6 boosted D16Z6
1,079 Posts
good job.
i went with the rywire adapter, to avoid that headache.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts