Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a D16Z6 swapped 1991 EF Sedan LX. I just did a full rebuild on it including a new distributor, plugs, wires, gaskets, bearings, etc..

My problem is now that it wont start. The starter engages, cranks the engine, but its like there's no compression. It cranks and "poofs" like the sound of compression coming out of the exhaust. Ive checked the timing and the marks onthe crank pulleyare set to the middle of the set of three. The cam gear is an adjustable skunk2 and the mark is set straight up. I checked the spark, and its fine. I know for sure that fuel is getting through the rail. Injectors are obd1 so no resistor box. I tried switching the tps and map sensors and still the same thing.

Tried advancing and retarding the distributor and again, same thing. So what I need is some input on what can be wrong. Its running a chipped p28 that ran my buddys z6 swapped sedan no problem.

Im not running an o2 sensor... could that be a problem???

Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
So I have a D16Z6 swapped 1991 EF Sedan LX. I just did a full rebuild on it including a new distributor, plugs, wires, gaskets, bearings, etc..

My problem is now that it wont start. The starter engages, cranks the engine, but its like there's no compression. It cranks and "poofs" like the sound of compression coming out of the exhaust. Ive checked the timing and the marks onthe crank pulleyare set to the middle of the set of three. The cam gear is an adjustable skunk2 and the mark is set straight up. I checked the spark, and its fine. I know for sure that fuel is getting through the rail. Injectors are obd1 so no resistor box. I tried switching the tps and map sensors and still the same thing.

Tried advancing and retarding the distributor and again, same thing. So what I need is some input on what can be wrong. Its running a chipped p28 that ran my buddys z6 swapped sedan no problem.

Im not running an o2 sensor... could that be a problem???

Any help appreciated.

You should have the motor set at TDC not at the middle of the 3 marks when being checked. The last 3 marks are timing marks for adjusting base timing, which in your case will be impossible to do since the motor doesn't run. Reset timing to 100% TDC and start again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright, so to make some things clear, I know what all the timing marks are for and ive tried setting it tdc and at the 16* mark. Ive also tried switching the map and tps and I know they are correct the way they are everything from what insee looks to be correct. Timing, fuel, spark, and thats all I should need for it to start. The damn thing is confusing the hell out of me. Is there anything in the wiring I should look for? Could the basemap be messing it up somehow even though its for a z6? Is there anyway that my a/f ratio is too high or low? I need someone to help me out and think outside of the box.

·
Asshole
4,112 Posts
You don't set it at the 16* mark you set it at the 0 mark. The three marks together are only a reference for a timing light not for setting tdc.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
What ECU are you using?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I figured it out. The damn timing belt I bought was loose causing it to jump time. Im luck as shit my valves are all good. Now its running rich as hell. I still have to adjust the valve lash, which im assuming could be whats making it rich. I wasalso told to try a different map sensor. Input?

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
How are your reading the AFR's? Wideband I hope. Adjust the valve lash and check back. No need to start throwing sensors at it to see what works.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts