Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
D-Series Destruction Master
6,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, after finding only one helpful thing with search, which lead to another forum with broken links and missing images...

Z6 intake manifold on an 88-91 SI/EX. I've got a Z6 manifold & a Z6 throttlebody, as well as an OBD-0 LS throttlebody. Help me hook this up properly!

Pics would be best. I don't have a 5th gen shop manual, only 4th gen stuff. I'll dig up a few pics of where my questions are directed at.

Most importantly, which throttlebody do I need to use? The LS t-body is like the same as the A6 t-body aside from the size and Z6/B-series fitment. It has an extra part on it that the Z6 does not, along with an extra vacuum hose.

On the back of the Z6 manifold, there's a plug for a small vacuum hose as well, the A6 does not have this...what is it?

Since my car is an EX model, it came with an oil cooler, do any of the Z6 manifolds have the hookup from the manifold to cooler for this? I didn't notice one on the manifold I just received.

Thanks in advance fellas.

-Ben

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
When I put my Z6 mani on my Si I used the a LS tb just because it was easier. You could also use a B7 TB if you wanted. Just don't hook up the vacuum dash pot on the TB, otherwise your car will idle around 4K.

No oil cooler on my car, but why would it connect on the intake manifold?

·
6,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I put my Z6 mani on my Si I used the a LS tb just because it was easier. You could also use a B7 TB if you wanted. Just don't hook up the vacuum dash pot on the TB, otherwise your car will idle around 4K.

No oil cooler on my car, but why would it connect on the intake manifold?

Paragraph 1: Ok, dont hookup the dash pot...that's what I needed to know.

Sentence that wants to be paragraph 2: 90/91 EX has a different intake manifold, includes an extra coolant hose on the underside, runner #4, goes to the oil cooler, then the oil cooler dumps out into the water-pipe right next to the water pump.

Thank you.

you worry too much, lol

bolt the bitch on. hook up all the factory wires and vacuum lines. any extras just let hang or plug the vac ports. simple :wink:
No time to work around any "issues" that may arise, If I do it, i do it right...The FIRST time*

*My wife will go nuts if the car is out of commission or not running properly due to me fucking around with the motor.

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
No time to work around any "issues" that may arise, If I do it, i do it right...The FIRST time*

*My wife will go nuts if the car is out of commission or not running properly due to me fucking around with the motor.
lol, i guess my situation isnt quite the same. my car only sees about 3k a year and i have 2 spares :neutral:

·
Premium Member
96,97,00 civic
2,149 Posts
Just make or have a block off plate made for the extra hole on the back. I had on made for the egr on my y5 IM when i put it on my y7.

As far as TB always match it to what the computer is reading for. You already know that though.

Does the a6 have the same style of iacv or are they different?

·
6,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just make or have a block off plate made for the extra hole on the back. I had on made for the egr on my y5 IM when i put it on my y7.

As far as TB always match it to what the computer is reading for. You already know that though.

Does the a6 have the same style of iacv or are they different?
Shizz, thats the other part that I forgot.

I need to know what IACV to use! If I can reuse my A6 unit, that would be best, since...I have one.

·
Premium Member
96,97,00 civic
2,149 Posts
Shizz, thats the other part that I forgot.

I need to know what IACV to use! If I can reuse my A6 unit, that would be best, since...I have one.
Well i've never owned an ED so im not sure if they have the same style iacv, but i can tell you what i did.

My computer is reading for the y7 tb which doesn't have the iacv on the back of the mani. The y5 IM that i put on did. So I threaded the two holes and put some jb weld, yeah i know hillbilly, on two bolts and tightened them down. No vacuum leaks as of yet.

Another thing you might want to check is how the throttle cable connects to the IM, for slake/play when you press on the gas pedal.

Also are all the vac. lines the same length or do you just need to buy about 4 foot of extra. Better make it 6 I hate running back into town to buy worthless stuff.

Does the fuel rail have a 3 bolt mount just like the z6 or do you need the z6 fuel rail also. Actually if they are different just put some paint on the heads and then drill em out. again if they're different.

Make sure to get all that PITA stupid Im gasket off before putting new IM on. OR else Vac leak=suck

Will the brake booster hose reach the new line or does it need to be extended. Should be fine

These are some things you may want to consider when doing this. I may have left something out, but that's all I can think of right now.
Goodluck:TU:

·
6,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alright fellas, I'm off to bed...I hope more info can flood into this thread so that I can try to swap this manifold this weekend :TU:

·
Premium Member
95 CX Hatch
5,910 Posts

Fook this might be of some help.

·
Formally known as SPONSOREDCRX
3,566 Posts

·
Registered
Many cars
257 Posts
Vacuum on the back of the z6 manifold went to the evap purge control solenoid. You will have to rig up a throttle bracket, not that hard, I think i just drilled an extra hole in mine, cant remember its been 6 years since i did this. Use the stock map sensor on the firewall and just run vacuum to the evap purge solenoid that is right beside it. You will need to extend the IAT sensor wires since it is on the oppisite side of the runner on the z6 manifold. I also used the Z6 fuel rail, i think the a6 has an offset bolt pattern on its fuel rail. Im pretty sure I just used the z6 IACV as well. My a6 block did not have an oil cooler so that part I do not know about.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I'm useing the A6 IAVC, but it's sorta rigged on there. The Z6 IAVC bolt pattern is differant, but there was a post on the back that lined up with the A6 IAVC, so I just drilled and tapped it. It works, but it's probebly easier to use the Z6 one.

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Are you still using the z6 manifold? If so, PICS! of it in your crx. The vacuum plug on the back of the z6 manifold...where does it go?
You know that box on your firewall with your MAP and purge valve? On the Z6, the MAP is on the TB and the purge valve is...right above that vacuum port on the manifold.

If you get ahold of an OBD-1 purge valve, it bolts onto the manifold right above that port. The bottom of the valve gets a vacuum hose coming from that port.

I circled the purge valve in blue. The short red line is the hose from the manifold (that vacuum port) to the bottom of the valve. (it looks like it's coming out of the top of the manifold but picture it coming from behind) The long red line is the hose from the valve to the canister.

·
Administrator
Honda
6,992 Posts
Well, looks like I know what to do in the next couple of weeks.

FYI I'm in the same boat as f00ker just haven't gotten around to researching yet.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts