Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
00' Honda Civic EX
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a SOHC ZC VTEC which as you guys know is the same thing as a d16z6. It has a y8 IM on it. I might order a Hondata intake manifold gasket but Im not exactly sure which one to get. The one for a y8 or the one for a z6...any of your guys know? And I ordered ARP head studs for a d16z as well...isn't that right since it's a zc vtec?

·
Registered
00' Honda Civic EX
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmm thanks man

·
Registered
19 Posts
iv got the same setup for the most part Y7 bottom Z6 head and Y8 IM
and i used the Y8 head gaset set

·
Registered
76 Posts
yeah...the headstuds are correct and any D-series IM gasket is gonna be pretty much the same. if you get the thicker hondata gasket, the car will run alot cooler. which could be a good or bad thing. if the car runs warm, get the hondata...but if there's nothing odd about it don't change it. i had a hondata on my EF and becuz it made the car run cooler, it took a long time to warm up and allow VTEC to engage.
cold motor= no VTEC

·
Registered
00' Honda Civic EX
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does it actually net any power gains? If it really does make it run cooler, then I would assume so but I don't know for sure. Anyone have any dyno's laying around showing power gains of them? And I don't mind if it take it longer to warm up. I don't EVER take my car above about 3k when it's not fully warmed up. Im weird about my oil and oil protects best when it's warmed up so ya know...I wait. Not a problem for me. Anyway, thanks guys. I'll have to get the z6 one if I get one b/c they don't technically sell one for a y8...but as long as the z6 works then it's all good.

·
Registered
76 Posts
the Z6 will work just fine. i would do the head swap/intake manifold swap and run it on stock gaskets for now... if the car runs a little warmer than you'd like, go with the hondata. i personally have never seen any power gains, nor do i think they would be even recordable. maybe 1-2 HP, but doubtful to me. and you don't want a car that won't warm up to a certain degree. check the specs on tempurature for optimal performance. then if you wanna get really crazy, add an aftermarket temp gauge and see where it runs...then go from there. on my old EF it ran too cold all the time with the hondata...so i had NO VTEC unless i was in phoenix (which is hotter and less altitude) so i switched back to the stock one, and VTEC worked properly everywhere.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts