Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
93 Civic del Sol Si
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a z6 and I'm going to be doing a high compression rebuild. I will be ordering FJ Distributors P29 super rebuild kit. But I'm not sure what direction I should take the head with.

What cam should I use?

Should I have the head ported?

Should I go with a bigger throttle body, if so which one?

Should I go with an adjustable cam gear with said camshaft? If so which one?

I'm not looking to break the bank with this build, but I am wanting to build a quick fun engine. The way I see it I'll have around $500 in the bottom end with price of engine, rebuild kit, and all the machine work I want done. I would like to keep the head price between $500-$700 if that is possible. What are some brands and parts you all suggest would work with a high compression build? It's really hard to say what my hp goal is, but I am building my Del Sol to handle on rails. Our area is getting a new road course track and I have until 2013 to have this car dialed in and ready to hit that track. So I'm wanting to rev to at least 7500RPM, and I want a decent power band. If I can break 140whp on an NA build I would be happy.

·
Registered
99 Hatch
1,348 Posts
Searching will get you most the answers you’re looking for, but work’s slow so I'll spoon feed.

Machine work;

Check the head for flatness, if it's not perfect then have it milled until it is flat. Have a 3 angle VJ done. Don't port it unless you have a good idea about what you’re doing. An easier way to go would be to send it to Performance Porting and have him take care of the machine work and a slight clean up around the bowls and valve seat areas.

Parts;

Get a set of bisi springs or Supertechs, they both work well and are a pretty good price. Cam choice isn't an easy one, you’re going to need something pretty big to make it to 140WHP. Blox's stage 3 cam would do it, Crower stage 3, Bisi level 3, Comp 59500 (watch out), Colt cams race profile. AEM makes a nice cam gear, that’s what I use.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
^^^x2
Rebuild kit + check the block for flatness, bore and rebuild.
Then send the head to Dustin at performance porting and have him do the headwork for you. It will be worth it.

If you want to save some $ upfront you could try running a JDM d15b cam in it and two sets pf y8 or z6 intake springs. See what kind of #'s you get. Its a slight upgrade over the z6 cam. if you dont hit the #'s you want then save up for a bisimoto or deal directly through Web Camshafts for a more aggressive cam. Colt is also a great option. The Blox level 3 may also get you there like Ben said.

Chip the Ecu and get it tuned as well.

·
Premium Member
93 Civic del Sol Si
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe 140whp is aiming pretty high on an NA build. I was thinking Bisimoto stage 2 cam, Bisimotor springs/retainer, Bisimoto cam gear, and ultimately save up for a Bisimoto V2 header. I know that is breaking my $700 limit, but if you want it done right you have to spend the extra to get there.

·
Registered
99 Hatch
1,348 Posts
Maybe 140whp is aiming pretty high on an NA build. I was thinking Bisimoto stage 2 cam, Bisimotor springs/retainer, Bisimoto cam gear, and ultimately save up for a Bisimoto V2 header. I know that is breaking my $700 limit, but if you want it done right you have to spend the extra to get there.
Not really, knowledge is power and it's free.

I've spent very little on my NA setup and I hope to be around 150whp. I would also use caution before purchasing the bisi header, there seems to be a hole load of issues with them. My final goal for my setup is 180whp, I hope with a custom header and better induction I'll be there...or very close.

Hands down the best mod to make to a d-NA build is gearing.

·
Premium Member
93 Civic del Sol Si
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not really, knowledge is power and it's free.

I've spent very little on my NA setup and I hope to be around 150whp. I would also use caution before purchasing the bisi header, there seems to be a hole load of issues with them. My final goal for my setup is 180whp, I hope with a custom header and better induction I'll be there...or very close.

Hands down the best mod to make to a d-NA build is gearing.
Yeah, I was looking into what I could do with my s20 B000 trans to help my acceleration leaving corners, and what not. I figured a light weight flywheel, LSD and better gears with somewhere in the 140whp range would make for a good track car. And of course some serious suspension mods, and the right tires and right alignment as well. I know that when it comes to track cars, its not about power but balance. This is not going to a strictly track car, it will be street driven as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts