Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 95 civic EX and the timining belt broke so the engine was done, SO i went and bought a new z6 head and put it on a y8 block i had with low miles and was wondering if i needed to do anything speacial with the timing or anything to get the block and head to match up? any info you have about this swap would help!

·
Banned
1,234 Posts
Yea, I think the back left corner needs a Z6 stud, and the rest are Y8?

·
Registered
del Sol si '94
2,539 Posts
Should need a full set of Z6 iirc

·
Registered
del Sol si '94
2,539 Posts
depends on which cam you're using, which cam gear, and which ECU.... i would suggest using ALL y8 stuff except for the head casting for simplicity.
Can use the cam/cam gear off the Y8 with the Z6 head to keep the cam timing correct. Use the rocker assemblies/cam caps that came on the z6 head, cam caps from other heads need align bored to match.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
depends on which cam you're using, which cam gear, and which ECU.... i would suggest using ALL y8 stuff except for the head casting for simplicity.
Can use the cam/cam gear off the Y8 with the Z6 head to keep the cam timing correct. Use the rocker assemblies/cam caps that came on the z6 head, cam caps from other heads need align bored to match.
What? Are you guys mad? He's putting a full Z6 head on a Y8, he doesn't have to do anything other then to use the right head studs.

Here's how the whole head swapping "what studs do I use?" thing works: Always use the studs from the block and swap out the bolt in the top right(near VTEC spool valve) for the one matching the head. So Z6 head on Y8 block is Nine(9) Y8 bolts and top right is a Z6 bolt. Y8 head on Z6 block is Nine(9) Z6 bolts and a Y8 bolt in the top right.

Now for some reason unknown to the powers that be, the bolt hole in the top left* near the water pump on Y series motors is sometimes deeper then other Y series motors. Now this is only a problem when you use studs(ARP's) instead of bolts. If you have one of these Y series blocks with the deeper hole then you may want to use a Z6 stud hear too or back the stud a turn or two out so the head stud nut will catch all the threads.

·
Registered
del Sol si '94
2,539 Posts
What? Are you guys mad? He's putting a full Z6 head on a Y8, he doesn't have to do anything other then to use the right head studs.

Here's how the whole head swapping "what studs do I use?" thing works: Y8 head on Z6 block is Nine(9) Z6 bolts and a Y8 bolt in the top right.
Thats funny cause the Y8 head on my Z6 used a full set of Z6 studs, no y8 bolts/studs.
With a Z6 cam/gear, no timing issues.

·
Registered
crx
2,683 Posts
i though your suppose to use the head bolt set thats meant for the head and cam gear that is for whatever cam your using???

i was just reading a post, this guy backed out a head stud a bit so the nut would catch and stripped the thread in the block.

·
Registered
del Sol si '94
2,539 Posts
i though your suppose to use the head bolt set thats meant for the head and cam gear that is for whatever cam your using???
Def uses the ones for the block. Atleast on a y8 head, z6 block. I havent done a z6 head/y8 block, so I cant tell you for sure.

·
Registered
del Sol si '94
2,539 Posts
I have both heads and blocks here and a set of y8 studs. When I get another set of z studs I'll swap them around and see for sure.

·
Registered
crx
2,683 Posts
i remember looking up head bolt info before doing my z6 head swap and A6 and Z6 bolts were interchangeable and Y8 had one bolt that was longer cause one hole on the head was higher up so it needed more reach.

·
Registered
crx
2,683 Posts
agree. you dont want to turn the cam with the wrong gear or run it with an ecu thats not tuned to properly run that cam.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Wow bad info all though out this thread. 1: Never mismatch cam and cam gear when deck height is the same i.e; Z6 to Y8/7. The only time you swap cam gears is when you go to a shorter block i.e; Y8 to B7(1.5). Bone is the one who found this and he has dyno results.

2: The bolts should always match the block, and the top right should be from the head. The blocks are drilled and threaded different depths, if you mismatch then you run the risk of stripping the block. D15, D16A6/Z, & D17=140mm vs. Y-series=120.5mm

3: In perfect world everyone would tune their car after doing a head swap but that isn't the case. The ECU is meant to be used with a matched cam i.e; P28 and Z6 cam. Now for the people saying match the cam to the ECU, don't even bother. The two cams are only minimally different but the heads are a different story. A P28 will run a Y8 with no problems, will it be 100%, no, but even a stock setup isn't 100%.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Yes 88-95 are the same timing marks and all, and 96-00 are the same.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts