Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Civic Si
2,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to know if I can run a z6 head on my d16y8 motor with a y8 cam and cam gear or are the heads too different to do that?

the reason why Im asking is I have a built z6 head and my del sol is OBD2 :pinch:

·
Registered
the short bus
1,065 Posts
I had a problem with a z6 bottom and y8 head. Mechanic timing will always be off 4.5 degrees and I have no idea why. lol I assumed you could mess with the cam gear but i was told you cant. All I know is thats its a nightmare cause i had a tuner who could not figure it out. The z6 dizzy hates everyone and i THINK it only works on a z6 so youll need to buy the clips to convert obd2 to obd1. The jew option is you can repin the plugs. Id pick the jew option.

edit: i have a built y8 head in the forsale section if you give up with the z6. ;)

·
Registered
2005 Civic Si
2,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a problem with a z6 bottom and y8 head. Mechanic timing will always be off 4.5 degrees and I have no idea why. lol I assumed you could mess with the cam gear but i was told you cant. All I know is thats its a nightmare cause i had a tuner who could not figure it out. The z6 dizzy hates everyone and i THINK it only works on a z6 so youll need to buy the clips to convert obd2 to obd1. The jew option is you can repin the plugs. Id pick the jew option.

edit: i have a built y8 head in the forsale section if you give up with the z6. ;)
Id probably repin the connector so its all plug and play :yes:

if the timing is off between the z6 cam gear and y8 block, why not run a y8 cam/cam gear in the z6 head? is that a possibility?

·
Registered
434 Posts
It will still be off because the centerline to deck height on both heads are different. hence the reason the gears are offset in the first place

·
Registered
2005 Civic Si
2,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It will still be off because the centerline to deck height on both heads are different. hence the reason the gears are offset in the first place
do you know this for sure? is there any comparison between the two heads. I know the combustion chambers are different by a few cc's but I didnt know if that was the only differances

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
You can re pin the dizzy I put a z6 in a ek and used the z6 dizzy just cut the plug off and te wired on the y8 plug car is still running good no issues as far as the came gear that's easy fix mix match wry stock gears or buy a adjustable one

·
Registered
Tacoma and crx
106 Posts

·
Registered
ej1
1,222 Posts
Z6 dissy conversion
y8 cam gear
call it a day

The center lines are different from the pm3 pm9 non vtec heads.

·
Registered
ej1
1,222 Posts
ya you can you need z6 head bolts or studs though
Ryan? They'll stick up an inch or more even bottomed out. You're even welcome to drive up here and see for yourself. I've got a junked out mock up version of this combo on a stand at work if you want to see it. I bought it off the boys in NewCarisle for a core motor. They shut the track down for two hours lol. I'll even give you directions to get there. It's all good.

·
Registered
same
1,624 Posts
mixing and matching is a pain, and not many people know the RIGHT answers.

if you are staying obd2 just grab another y8 head......

otherwise, keep the cam and gear together (either one will work), and set mechanical timing to that particular cam... then set base timing as per the ECU

·
Registered
2005 Civic Si
2,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
mixing and matching is a pain, and not many people know the RIGHT answers.

if you are staying obd2 just grab another y8 head......

otherwise, keep the cam and gear together (either one will work), and set mechanical timing to that particular cam... then set base timing as per the ECU
I suppose I dont have to saty OBD2, since I have a jumper harness and intend on running S300

·
Registered
ej1
1,222 Posts
but between the z6 and y8 the centerlines are the same correct?
I didn't actually measure the centerline between the y8 and z6 head but I'm not convinced they're different.
The rocker arm ratios are different you can't switch the rocker arm assemblies.

·
Registered
too many
1,582 Posts
Ill put my knowledge in to see if anyone can expound on it.

Z6 dizzy can be used but your crank position sensor on the Y8 block is under the timing cover and you will have 2 non used wires off the distributor. I believe the CPK sensor on the Y8 block is a different signal than the Z6 signal so it would be best to use the sensors for your OBD version. There have been reports with Hondata and OBD2 cars converted to OBD1 showing the timing off by 21 degrees in the Software. I can only assume it is that.

The 4.5 degrees of timing as mention can be fixed by using a Y8 cam gear as mentioned. Per wiledwhitecivic and explained by sleepingciv

Other option is to bolt a Y8 Dizzy on the Z6 head but it will have to be modified to bolt on and I think you will only have 1 bolt holding the Dizzy on. I am working on a fix for that Dizzy bolt on adapter kits LOL

And lastly of course the injector clips are different but same 240ccs so use the Intake manifold and sensors/injectors that your vehicle already has. I assume you have a 96-97 Delsol thats why you are OBD2. My recommendation is to convert to OBD1 when you get a chance LOL

I have 2 Y8 heads and 2 Z6 heads in the garage but its like 18 degrees outside and I have a customers car in the garage to finish before making another mess.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts