Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm running into a problem putting a Z6 head on the D15b block. When I set the cam to straight up, the crank pulley isn't lining up. It is between the white and red marks.

I know there is a difference, but what can I do to get around this? I don't want to have problems when I fire it up.

Edit: I don't want to swap cams and I assume that is where the timing issue is coming from. I need to have this thing back on the road by the 20th.....help!

·
Premium Member
95 CX Hatch
5,910 Posts
Let me guess, 1.5 teeth off on the belt? Try a y8 cam gear. You are doing sort of what I had to do to my old setup except I had a D15B head on a Z6 block. The deck height is whats screwing you up so a y8 cam gear should bring your mechanical timing where it needs to be.

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
thats what i was thinkin, kinda like the A6 cam in the B7 motor

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Let me guess, 1.5 teeth off on the belt? Try a y8 cam gear. You are doing sort of what I had to do to my old setup except I had a D15B head on a Z6 block. The deck height is whats screwing you up so a y8 cam gear should bring your mechanical timing where it needs to be.
Son of a bitch, I don't know if I have time to source a Y8 cam gear. Anyone have one available immediately, send me a PM.

Bizzar, I don't think I'm 1.5 teeth off, maybe .5. You think an adjustable cam gear would cover me?

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
adj. gear will work, just that a Y8 gear doesnt need to be messed with just bolt up and go. I got mine from honda in a day

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
adj. gear will work, just that a Y8 gear doesnt need to be messed with just bolt up and go. I got mine from honda in a day
Thanks for the tip, I'll check into it tomorrow. Theoretically, I can finish installing everything while I get that in the mail. I have a race on the 20th, so I need to get everything done by then.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
JDM D15B vtec and D16Z6 uses the same head. So you basically just have a D15B vtec there. You're probably just doing something wrong. I demand some pic.

·
Premium Member
95 CX Hatch
5,910 Posts
JDM D15B vtec and D16Z6 uses the same head. So you basically just have a D15B vtec there. You're probably just doing something wrong. I demand some pic.
The d15b cam is --->keyed<--- differently than a z6 hence why he needs a cam gear. And yes I meant half a tooth earlier or 1.5 degrees :p I went through this crap some 3 years ago trying to time my D15B head on a taller decked Z6 block.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The d15b cam is --->keyed<--- differently than a z6 hence why he needs a cam gear.
Yep, which is why I had trouble a few years ago when putting a z6 distributor on the d15b.

For some reason, I assumed I wouldn't have a problem with this swap. :(:)

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
yes, it just will mess with your power band, you will feel it low on power down low cuz your cam timing is retarded

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
The d15b cam is --->keyed<--- differently than a z6 hence why he needs a cam gear. And yes I meant half a tooth earlier or 1.5 degrees :p I went through this crap some 3 years ago trying to time my D15B head on a taller decked Z6 block.
My D15B VTEC came with a "PM3B" pulley; IIRC that's what all the USDM D-series have minus the Y-blocks. The motor has markings for P08 and D16Z6; use the two "P08" markings(I believe they're time 4.5degrees apart from the P28 marks anyways). Also, the cam in my D15B VTEC is similar to a Z6 one(both that I compared had serials that began with B).

Are you using the stock P08 cam belt? Also, are you turning the crank before tightening the tensioner to take up any slack(per Helms)?

·
Lurking... &#3232;_&#3232; In Your Thread
ES1 Civic
11,969 Posts
yes, it just will mess with your power band, you will feel it low on power down low cuz your cam timing is retarded

just to be safe, i wouldnt suggest driving on it, use another car (if you have one) or catch a ride... do do any un-needed damage...

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
he wont do any damage to the motor with his set-up. sounds like a mild N/A. in fact, if he had an auto it would be optimal that way becasue the power band is shifted down lower and thats where the auto fails.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
he wont do any damage to the motor with his set-up. sounds like a mild N/A. in fact, if he had an auto it would be optimal that way becasue the power band is shifted down lower and thats where the auto fails.
I was thinking the same thing actually. Swap my cam gear for my wifes y8 and advance her cam timing for better low end (it's an auto).

Regardless, my y8 gears showed up today. :TU:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts