Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Not worth it. A lot of work which could make either of the engines faster and more reliable than a hybrid.
My tip: Go a different route.

But to answer your question: It has been done a couple times before.

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just out of curiousity, what special things would need to be done to make it work.

Also, would any power gains or losses be noticed? And, would porting the stock ZC head be a better route?

thanks

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Why would you even want to fit a SOHC head on the DOHC block?
There's nothing special about the DOHC block. I don't think the head bolts line up, so there's one of the problems.

I really thought DOHC head on SOHC block when first reading it. But same goes there.
If you already have a DOHC ZC in your car, then I would build it.
I've heard these engines like turbo. One of the reasons is probably adjustable overlap (two cams).

But a "no no" from me on the DOHC<>SOHC head swap.

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
its a dumb idea no doubt
settle down man......i was just asking a question. Im just looking at all possible options with what i have WITHOUT buying a new engine.

but nevertheless: thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
ef7 crx
322 Posts
the coolant passages on the block are diff, dont do it, dont be dumb, buy a damn engine
No they arn't, they are an open deck block, how could the coolant passages not line up when the passages in the head open out straight into the water jacket.
It doesn't matter where the passages are as long as they are above the water jacket which they are.

There will actually be three bolt holes that will need shifting and the ZC uses an 11mm head bolt like a B-series while the Z6 uses a 10mm, you will have to bore out the holes in the head for the larger bolts.

And use the Z6 head gasket.
The oil pressure feed lines up fine and the oil drain back passages line up alright but if you're fussy you could port match them with a die grinder.

It's do-able, you'll get a pretty high compression with the z6 (12:1) so it will blow the socks off a standard ZC or Z6 (thats with all standard head/block surfaces with no milling)

The easier option would be getting a whole Z6 and putting just the PM7 pistons in it, way way less hassle and no fabrication needed.

I've done a similar mod before with a Doch ZC head on an A6 block with PM6 pistons for a turbo.

·
Registered
ef7 crx
322 Posts
I swear there is a post on this website and it talks about problems with coolant passages.....I could be wrong, but i know i read it here...
Yeah I know I've read it too but it's bollocks :D The only time it would be a problem in any D-series would be in a closed deck engine, and I've never seen a closed deck D.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts