Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says, I was doing a ring swap and while torquing down the rod bolts the torque wrench wouldnt click. I gave it one more try and the nut twisted the bolt right off >< . the motor in questions is a d16zc sohc vtec (d16z6)

I called honda and ordered new bolts for the rod, and they claim they should just come out with some light taps. I cant get them out with light taps and I dont want to move on to hard taps in fear of damaging the rod.

I just wanted to make sure these dont need to be pressed out or anything rediculous.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
i'm not sure i understand how tapping on it would remove a broken off bolt. Its threaded in there. Post up pictures of what you're talking about

-Luke

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I thought i read aftermarket rods.
Spray some wd40 and knock it out
-Luke

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, I was planning on beating like it owes me money, but I didnt want to risk breaking the rod and having to buy a new one :) thanks for clearing that up for me.

·
my dd has 1800 ftlbs of torque
peterbilt
3,890 Posts

·
Registered
whatever runs....
2,927 Posts
I've always heard that rod bolts are pressed in/out, and after the pressing procedure, you need to have the rods with caps torqued on ,checked and milled for true concentricity.....

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is it ok if a I sig quote myself for that one? ROFL!
please do, i was cracking up :p

and no I didnt even put em in the vice, I just put on my oj glove and whacked it acouple times it popped right out. I dont think there was any pressing involved, honda told me the should tap out as well.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was really hoping i didnt have to take another trip to the machine shop, already been there to get the wrist pins pressed and the block honed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts