Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, my bottom end is knocking in my d16y7 5lb boosted engine. would a d16z6 bottom end work with my Y7 head? the reason i ask is i have found a good deal on a complete rebuilt z6 bottom end with scat rods and vitara pistons.

The bottom ends are pretty much the same are they not? no different ob1-obd2 connectors?

any help would be great thanks.

·
Never finishes (TWSS)
91 Civic SI hb
1,831 Posts
well you wont have your knock sensor on the z6 bottom end other then that if you change the pistons the bottom ends will be the same

·
Registered
'97 Del Sol
751 Posts
well you wont have your knock sensor on the z6 bottom end other then that if you change the pistons the bottom ends will be the same
They arn't exactly the same but it his case it would be an upgrade. I'm sure there is a way to use the knock sensor? the other differense would be dipstick location, I'm not sure how that will work depending on set-up. The timing marks will be different also.

Hopefully others can shed more light for ya :bigok:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah. I guess he could go obd1 and say f*** the knock sensor.
Yeah but wouldent going OB1 be a whole lotta work? could I just use the Z6 bottom end without the knock sensor? or could I incorporate the knock sensor with the Z6 bottom end?

·
Registered
'93 Civic D15B7/5spd
120 Posts
What setup are you running now? I currently have a D15B1 bottom end under a D16Y7 head and I'm using EVERYTHING from the D15B1 bottom end, including the oil pump and crank pulley it came with. It is OBD0 and was running DPFI for a while, it is now MPFI and still runs fine using a D16Z6 intake manifold.

Pretty soon I'll be swapping the D16Y7 head onto a D16Z6 block and I will continue to use the stock D16Z6 oil pump and crank pulley. The only reason you need the knock sensor is for OBD2, OBD1 and OBD0 will completely ignore it.

Then again I'm assuming you're on OBD2, so that kinda sucks. Drill and tap a hole in the Z6 block or convert to OBD1.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What setup are you running now? I currently have a D15B1 bottom end under a D16Y7 head and I'm using EVERYTHING from the D15B1 bottom end, including the oil pump and crank pulley it came with. It is OBD0 and was running DPFI for a while, it is now MPFI and still runs fine using a D16Z6 intake manifold.

Pretty soon I'll be swapping the D16Y7 head onto a D16Z6 block and I will continue to use the stock D16Z6 oil pump and crank pulley. The only reason you need the knock sensor is for OBD2, OBD1 and OBD0 will completely ignore it.

Then again I'm assuming you're on OBD2, so that kinda sucks. Drill and tap a hole in the Z6 block or convert to OBD1.
converting to obd 1 would require a different head/dizzy/pretty much every plug under the hood would it not?

where is the knock sensor located? it is a tricky job drilling and tapping the Z6 block?

Thanks.

·
Never finishes (TWSS)
91 Civic SI hb
1,831 Posts
converting to obd 1 would require a different head/dizzy/pretty much every plug under the hood would it not?

where is the knock sensor located? it is a tricky job drilling and tapping the Z6 block?

Thanks.
its very easy to drill and tap a block. slaos the sensor is at the top close to the head in the middle of the block.

i have a diy on posting a block you can use the same method to tap the block for a knock sensor. also notice the blue thing in pic 3, thats the knock sensor
http://www.d-series.org/forums/diy-forum/148333-diy-posting-d-block.html

just buy a sensor from the junk yard so you can get the thread count and size. or take it our of your y7 block

1 - 13 of 13 Posts