Honda D Series Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
My 91 Crx Hf
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I got a fj super turbo kit for a d16z6 I have a z6 head, but a zc (basically a6) block. Will the bearings be different? I am pretty sure the gaskets will be the same the rod/main bearings are what I am worried about. I am pretty sure the oil pump and water pump are the same as well right? Please let me know if I am mistaking.

Basically will the gaskets, oil pump, water pump, rod/main bearings, thrust washers all work out for the zc block?

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
a6 and z6 blocks are the same basically.
same cranks,pistons and rods i do believe
but for some reason a6's are more popular to boost

you pumps and gaskets should work.
when i got my gasket set it said a6 and z6 on the pakage

·
Lifes short, drive fast!
2,350 Posts
a6 and z6 blocks are the same basically.
same cranks,pistons and rods i do believe
but for some reason a6's are more popular to boost

you pumps and gaskets should work.
when i got my gasket set it said a6 and z6 on the pakage
why do you say a6's are more popular to boost?!

The only difference between a6 and z6 is: different water pumps, different t-belt tensioner, and theres no sensor in the thermostat housing.
Trust me, I DID it.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
not sure. it just seems that ive heard alot of people choosing the a6 block to boost over the z6. not sure if they are cheaper to get ahold of or what. but i personaly like the whole z6 setup. wont ever get anything other then that unless i graduate to a built k20 hahaha but that wont ever happen so im not worried

·
Lifes short, drive fast!
2,350 Posts
not sure. it just seems that ive heard alot of people choosing the a6 block to boost over the z6. not sure if they are cheaper to get ahold of or what. but i personaly like the whole z6 setup. wont ever get anything other then that unless i graduate to a built k20 hahaha but that wont ever happen so im not worried
Well, you will always get more power out of the z6, they are easier to come by, have the same weaknesses/strengths... only thing ive ever heard of people liking more on the a6(a6 head and block that is), is they are a little easier to tune without the spike of vtec.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
i got ya. but having that spike of vtaakkkk is the best part hahah

·
My 91 Crx Hf
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
why do you say a6's are more popular to boost?!

The only difference between a6 and z6 is: different water pumps, different t-belt tensioner, and theres no sensor in the thermostat housing.
Trust me, I DID it.
Thanks man, I still have to purchase a tb tensioner since the kit doesn't come with one, and so really all I have to worry about it the waterpump? Which is perfect because I have an extra a6 waterpump :3dbiggrin:

thanks guys!

·
Lifes short, drive fast!
2,350 Posts
Thanks man, I still have to purchase a tb tensioner since the kit doesn't come with one, and so really all I have to worry about it the waterpump? Which is perfect because I have an extra a6 waterpump :3dbiggrin:

thanks guys!
no problem, good luck!

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
ok ive been out of the d game for a few years BUT

the a6 has a cast iron girdle.....WAAAAAY stronger than the z6. though you get more power from a z6, the bottom end is weaker. its a proven fact. a friend and i are trying too decide which route we want too go with. we have a full semi built z6. but i had a stout a6 that road out on those. i have a bad taste in my mouth about the z6 cause i see them spin bearings all the time. granted its ignorant ricers that chip their ecu and take them too 8k on a stock block, but still. i took my a6 too 8k, stock block with a rich 75 shot for months. took it like a champ. we're also looking into a mini me, but once again, ive never seen one of those last.

so its either

z6
z6/a6 mini me
a6-zc conversion

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
hahahaha, k20 = no 2nd gear. every k20 ive seen has a fucked up 2nd gear. BUT then again here in central florida, we beat on our cars like they owe us money. we have a built k20/k24 gutted ef hatch......fucked up 2nd. bunch of 08 si's.......fucked up 2nd, rsx's......fucked up 2nd. numerous eg/ek k swapped.......fucked up 2nd. almost sold my built h22 with lsd trans too build a k, but dont want too replace the trans every 2 months.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
correct. no proof. only my experience. though i spoke with Mike Yonke who owned a 400whp z6 and he even concured with me that the z6 bottom ends are weaker. aluminum girdle vs. cast iron girdle. arp main studs and rod bolts should be sufficent enough......but you can also use them in an a6. only thing i can think of is maybe the z6 has better oil gallies.....iunno.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
of course z6 ususally make more power, THEY HAVE AN EXTRA CAM PROFILE!! VTAK YO!!
D16a6 ftw

I just felt like stirring up an arguement today :bigok:
:tu:

Bznc, Not all of the A6's had the cast iron girdle. But if you did get one with the cast iron girdle, keep it as its been said to be stronger. :yes:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.