Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
So you want to make a noTEC Z6?
I am not saying I want to... just asking if it has ever been done. Just wanna read about it as I am curious. If it hasnt, i wouldnt mind making an attempt at it. Buy a Z6 block, build the bottom end, swap my setup over to the new block, drop it in, call it a day. Simple setup... no vtec,

Y7 head: Bisi cam/retainers/springs, arp head studs,

Z6block: 9.0:1 weisco, eagle rods, stock crank, block gaurd

anyone ever done it? speak up because if not, I wanna do it.

·
Registered
317 Posts
i will be doing an awkward swap...y5 head (vtec-e), with a 99 civic 1,6L sohc non vtec bottom... built ofcourse, but the head will remain stock other than a change in manifold/tb/fuel system

·
Registered
317 Posts
I cannot say that ive seen it done before...but I am farely new to the d-series world...i left b-series engines (too expensive) ...atleast when they are legit

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
There's no reason it won't work, pretty much the same as a Y8 head swap.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Exactly!
Its something I'm planning too.
Although thats mainly cos I don't trust UK tuners tbh.
Vtec confuses the majority of them :-s

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
looks like 99redek has done it before... kinda cool.
iirc, he stopped and just did a y7 build. i could be wrong. but he did ask about it, and there are like three people on the site that have done it. i myself am going to be building a z6/a6/y8 (block/head/IM) combo this next year. just for shits and giggles.

Dont have to deal with the Y8/Y7 blocks oil starving issues
true

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What other D series non vtec heads are out there that will bolt up to a Z6 block? Reason asking is Y7 heads dont flow much

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
What other D series non vtec heads are out there that will bolt up to a Z6 block? Reason asking is Y7 heads dont flow much
d16a6
any d15 head other then the jdm d15b (obviously the vtec version of the engine. yes, there is a non-vtec version)

y7 flows enough for most people to use on the street/DD (well in turbo form), maybe thats just me. but none of the non-vtec heads flow really well anyway.

the y7 has "big valves" (vtec size). it would just require a PnP to get it closer to its vtec counter part (y8 ). where as the a6 or the d15 heads would require valves along with the other work to get them closer to the vtec heads, well as far as flow is concerned.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
i actuly have a y7=head z6 block y8 manifold type-R tb . i love it no problems whats so ever. i am in no need of vtak
and been boosting with no problems

1 - 16 of 16 Posts