Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For back story info, I have a '90 Si with a JDM D15B. Ever since I swapped out the blow Mini-Me, she has treated me pretty well with the D15. However, over the past months I've noticed the car surging whenever it rains when I first start her up. Occasionally not starting at all. From my experience behind the wheel it sounded as if the engine was drawing air, but no power means to me that the engine wasn't getting any fuel. I read online a while ago that this was credited to an ECU issue. Anyway, I let it go until now...

Yesterday when I was driving to work, no big deal its only about a mile, and the car surged twice, not simultaneously, and the engine died after sounding just like it did before (just sucking in air). Drifted into a parking lot, and tried to start her. Cranks fine, but won't start. None of my gauges died nor did my lights dim, so I didn't think it was battery. Then I remembered what I read before, so I found a p28 ecu I had that laying around and hooked it up (I read it will run the D15B). Same thing, cranks but won't start. Just to be sure, I pulled the guard off to check the timing belt. It was fine, so now I'm left damn near clueless. I've done the work on my car, but my mechanical experience is limited. The next thing I can think of to check is the fuel pump, but thought I'd hop on here first to get some advice. So D-series.org members, help me out, I'd appreciate it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,128 Posts
Have the car been converted to obd1? Since you mention using a p28.

-things to check-

*does it prime- could be relay issue
*fuel filter
*weak sparks
*test for compression
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well hell, replaced the main relay... might have been the largest pain in the ass I've experienced trying to get to it. However, didn't help so onto the next solution. Fuel Filter it is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fuel is the only thing I can think it would be, but after replacing the main relay and nothing happened it did cross my mind maybe I was heading in the wrong direction. I figured might as well replace the fuel filter.. its 15 bucks so big deal and see where that brings me. I've had dizzy problems before with my A6 mini-me though, but I don't remember the car acting exactly like this.
 

·
Registered
1997 Civic Ex Turbo
Joined
·
1,826 Posts
My bet is on the distributor.

Fuel, spark, ignition. Checking fuel is easy. Crank it over and pull the plug. If they're wet wit fuel, you're getting fuel. Compression I'd rule out but if you have a compression gauge, you can check. If you know your engine sounds well enough, you can tell if you're engine is getting enough compression to start just by listening to the engine turning over. Spark is also easy to check and that's where I'd start.

85% chance it's spark related, 10% fuel, and 5% compression.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top