Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently started a YouTube channel: nothing fancy, just edits from dashcam footage of our road trips.
As it's little more than an experiment to see how it works, I'm not bothered about the views as such, but I do have a couple of questions.

1. Are shorter clips likely to get more views if they're in the Music category rather than Travel?

2. Why is there a discrepancy between the number of views given in my channel and those given in the general public area?

My theory for the latter is that the Channel shows how many times the video has been opened and the public bit shows only those that have been watched for more than x% of their total length, but I've found no way of confirming this.

Any experts out there?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Clips that get views are those that are going to be favored by YouTube's back end algorithm. I honestly can't say exactly how it all works but here's what I've learned from experience.

Long videos and frequent uploads get you views. Those are the first two key points but you can't just rely on those two variables alone. A long video (10-15 minutes) is pointless if the audience isn't actually watching it. The goal is to keep the audience captivated as YouTube measures the time spent on a video and incorporates that into how it will promote your video to a potential audience.

Frequent uploads are required to keep your name relevant and again, that metric ties into YouTube's sorcery on how it promotes your videos. I keep mentioning YouTube promoting videos because that's where a lot of traffic is going to come from; the next recommended video. If you can meet YouTube's thresholds for view time, uploads, oh and community interaction, that's going to get your videos pushed through on the side bar and in next recommended videos for other videos being viewed on YouTube.

I hope this gives you some insight. As far as different categories goes, I'm not entirely sure if one set of metrics translates between categories but generally speaking, capturing an audience without a doubt will bump up your views, but then of course that has to be your whole intent if you're trying to achieve something quantifiable; capture the audience. But like you said, you're not bothered with views.

·
Registered
5,841 Posts
time of watching is not an element.

Ive literally stumbled onto a video, watched the first 5 seconds, and immediately youtube assumes I love the fucking thing for weeks.

Not watching it for over a week generally pushes it away

·
endo_bobo
877 Posts
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6_ZiyhR1DfI?list=PLOl4b517qn8gjUXIycCV_oScXzd3I8vrO" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

·
Registered
99 Posts
time of watching is not an element.

Ive literally stumbled onto a video, watched the first 5 seconds, and immediately youtube assumes I love the fucking thing for weeks.

Not watching it for over a week generally pushes it away
You're approaching this from a viewer's perspective. He's approaching this from a content provider's perspective. In your respect YouTube has similar functionality as something like AdSense (hmm, I wonder why) where if you make a Google search for something like "jdm purple annodized blow off valve", now you can expect to see a lot of purple blow off valves on websites that use AdSense, even if you only clicked one search result and realized that's not what you want at all.

·
Registered
99 Posts
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6_ZiyhR1DfI?list=PLOl4b517qn8gjUXIycCV_oScXzd3I8vrO" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Whoa, pretty good points made here and his production value is really something else.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've just thought of another possible difference:
After posting a vid, I usually go and look at it without signing in. This could ratchet up the views in the Channel section (by 1, at any rate). But YouTube knows my IP address, so it may be that it doesn't count this as a public hit?

And, yes, 1 hit is relevant. My average at the moment is only 5!

Another reason I'm not too bothered by views is that I think they're of limited interest anyway. Here's an example. If you can't be bothered to watch it all the way through, I understand! But at least scroll to about 1m15s to look at some French Porsches. One of them was silly enough to make me back off to avoid a collision.

·
endo_bobo
877 Posts
Same guy I posted before. Thought of this thread.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GTus0_IRQWg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Youtube is pretty much Skynet and should be killed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts