Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
93 DX
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw a video about a stripped 89 EK hatch racing down a canyon rd in CA. I'd love to link to it...maybe someone with more seniority can.

Anyway it reignited my interest in the double wishbone Hondas.

My current project is a firstgen Dodge Cummins street/Drag truck. About as far from a Honda as you can get but I'm weird like that. I also have a rusty Toyota pickup I'm trying to find a straight front axle for. I'd like to exocage it and put it on 35's.

When I saw the prices for for limited slip diff's and cast turbo manifolds I was sold on the idea of trying to build a lightweight easy to drive civic. I'm trying to investigate low power but easily modulated d engine turbo setups. With a lack of first hand experience I wonder if staying "d" is worth the benefit of cheap cost and ~100lb weight break over a B or K. I don't know if the unequal length driveshafts of the d trans affect handling vs a B series trans. I'm not sure how much weight the turbo + plumbing will add back to the 100lb weight advantage. Mostly I don't know if a turbo setup can be tamed to the point it doesn't upset the chassis or make the car hard to handle at the limit.

A 2.4 litter NA K swap would bring the torque but dang those swaps look inelegant. Also while its the same weight as a B it looks like it like it might be further forward of the front axles.

A NA b series swap is probably the most practical from a reliability standpoint. Piston oil squirters, real VTEC and a low geared closely spaced trans has to be fun.

The most sexy threads on this site IMO are the F2B stuff. I'm wondering how much of the 80lb increase that a H engine and trans has over a B is in the trans. I think I saw a thread showing a early Non vtec F head with a twin scroll evo manifold and turbo bolted up. That looked very cool. A little heavy a setup for a handling oriented civic hatch but still way cool.

·
Registered
Sloppy Jalopy
1,283 Posts
awesome man ,you got my imagination going now ,,,,LOok oUT! he's getting sick and twisted idea's for the next welf build..!

·
Registered
93 DX
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What's a Welf build? Welfare? Seriously?

Maybe the future moderator can teach me about welfare build tech like "blacked out tails" he brags about in his sig.

I'll admit to a goofy post that goes in a number of directions at once but at least I'm not derailing a good thread like I've seen done constantly on this sight.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,455 Posts
lulz derailed? I asked a question with images. they pretty much say it all. you butthurt bro? youre kinda cute when youre mad ;-)

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
Saw a video about a stripped 89 EK hatch racing down a canyon rd in CA. I'd love to link to it...maybe someone with more seniority can.

Anyway it reignited my interest in the double wishbone Hondas.

My current project is a firstgen Dodge Cummins street/Drag truck. About as far from a Honda as you can get but I'm weird like that. I also have a rusty Toyota pickup I'm trying to find a straight front axle for. I'd like to exocage it and put it on 35's.

When I saw the prices for for limited slip diff's and cast turbo manifolds I was sold on the idea of trying to build a lightweight easy to drive civic. I'm trying to investigate low power but easily modulated d engine turbo setups. With a lack of first hand experience I wonder if staying "d" is worth the benefit of cheap cost and ~100lb weight break over a B or K. I don't know if the unequal length driveshafts of the d trans affect handling vs a B series trans. I'm not sure how much weight the turbo + plumbing will add back to the 100lb weight advantage. Mostly I don't know if a turbo setup can be tamed to the point it doesn't upset the chassis or make the car hard to handle at the limit.

A 2.4 litter NA K swap would bring the torque but dang those swaps look inelegant. Also while its the same weight as a B it looks like it like it might be further forward of the front axles.

A NA b series swap is probably the most practical from a reliability standpoint. Piston oil squirters, real VTEC and a low geared closely spaced trans has to be fun.

The most sexy threads on this site IMO are the F2B stuff. I'm wondering how much of the 80lb increase that a H engine and trans has over a B is in the trans. I think I saw a thread showing a early Non vtec F head with a twin scroll evo manifold and turbo bolted up. That looked very cool. A little heavy a setup for a handling oriented civic hatch but still way cool.
You are high as a friggin kite right now, arent you?

·
Two men shy of a group
99 civic sedan ex
1,312 Posts
Um I'm pretty sure a turbo kit adds at least 50 lbs back to the car, even if it adds 100 lbs back a 220whp turbo d is still a B killer (at least stock b lol)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts