40,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
5 lb pork shoulder boston butt
trimmed and rubbed
apple cider diluted with water in the drip pans
cherry wood chips soaked in water
normal charcoal and hard lump mixed
hickory smoke briquits

Holding at 275-280 at end of first hour. Gonna be a long night.

When I put it on.....

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That little piece was nice although too much salt/heat from the rub but I did over do it using it to clean the tray, LOL!

Nice $18 toy, might get another for the meat!

Cool night, hope they didn't open their windows.......LOL!

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like I'm about to make another trip to Ohio......
Mind you this is my first ever charcoal/wood fuel smoking attempt with a rub.

I am using a Florida based but will add brown sugar later.

If I can't sleep, might as well smoke some butts!

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
Yum yum I want some.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Mind you this is my first ever charcoal/wood fuel smoking attempt with a rub.

I am using a Florida based but will add brown sugar later.

If I can't sleep, might as well smoke some butts!
Oh those late night projects. Always fun. Its 1:19 in the morning and I just sprayed my valve cover with primer. Have to wait till normal people are up to get paint.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
About 4.5 hours at 275, was getting 173-180 internal temps, pulled and wrapped and put back on, 172 internal right now.

The long climb to 195!

·
Registered
1986 Toyota Corolla
272 Posts
Very Nice! How do you deal with the "stall" butts get (i think it around 170's) I know there are many different techniques. My friend and i have our wrapping it in foil.

Except we start at 6 a.m. and it gets done right at dinner time.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I waited 4.5 hours to check temps....seems I blasted right through the stall!

Right now just using heat, no smoke since they are wrapped, at 181 internal temps. I might have to load up some charcoal to hit the target temp, then chill/rest in a cooler for a bit.

I need another cheap temp gauge, will be getting one soon! Right now I cannot monitor grill temp, just meat internals.

I'm learning. If you know me, it is what drives me.

I might get to be OK/good, no desire to be a Pitmaster or competition BBQ. I'm using a cheap setup and making it work that I can use for other normal grill tasks.

Like my CRX and D15B7 EG HB, I like making one appliance do very well, yet not the best, in many different areas.

The overall winning combo :)

·
Registered
1986 Toyota Corolla
272 Posts
Don't you just love it when everything just works lol.

But i definitely get where your coming from. My friend and I have just a little rag-tag smoker, nothing fancy but it gets the job done. Puts a smile on the families faces and that is all we are looking for.

We have done like 4 butts total in the smoker. Dont have a formula down yet but we are working on it. But in those 4 time we have hit a stall twice, delt with it 2 different ways but still came out the same in the end. We also starting doing are own sauces for pulled pork sandwiches. It starts getting pretty fun with that to, trying to make a sauce to compliment the marinade

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I doubt I will ever do my own sauce. Use a OTS sauce thinned with drippings is my plan.

Famous Dave's Fire and Spit for the heat or Sweet Baby's Rays for the tang.

About to see shortly, just hit 201 internal while I was in the shower.

·
Registered
1986 Toyota Corolla
272 Posts
What your doing is how we started. Just some bland nothing special bbq sauce, mixed with some drippings. Then just started adding our own stuff, my favorite was that same style but we also added some mango jelly to it. Made a really nice sweet sauce

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Grand Slam on my first at bat.

Butt plus drippings, aka liquid gold!

I then added two OTS BBQ sauces, Famous Dave's Spit and fire as well as some Weber sauce, heated aand reduced.

The butt unwrapped minus piece that fell off.....and tasted great!

then pulled only using 1/3 of the sauce reduction, others can add later as needed.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The butt just fell apart and wasn't dry anywhere. Using a knife to quarter is was useless.

I'm a rookie to Q so I may not know what REALLY good is. I do know I forgot to buy buns yesterday!

Apple cider vinegar based sauce with tomato sauce, spices and heat, yep, just pissed off all the whole Carolina region. It almost had a watery/spicy Manwich sloppy joe taste to it without even trying.

First test run, a huge winner IMHO.

·
Premium Member
95 civic coupe
1,358 Posts
Bone and his good food as always making that grill really useful

·
Registered
765 Posts
I doubt I will ever do my own sauce. Use a OTS sauce thinned with drippings is my plan.

Famous Dave's Fire and Spit for the heat or Sweet Baby's Rays for the tang.

About to see shortly, just hit 201 internal while I was in the shower.

Try this rub on your next butt or shoulder, do every thing else exactly the same, except this time use the Sweet Baby Rays original sauce. This combo is guaranteed to make your toes curl!!!! :yes:

And don't forget to add the coleslaw to the sandwich!

3 tablespoons paprika
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon dry mustard
3 tablespoons coarse salt

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Get your ass out of here with that coleslaw!!!!!

Meat, maybe sauce, bun. Nothing else period.

I have a rub I am using, too salty of me so I will be adding OTS ingredients that are on the side panel to tame it down a bit. I have been asked by the rub maker to submit a sample of the rub when I get it ready.

BBBR Seafood & Barbeque Rubs and Seasonings Source - Butt Rub.com

It is NOT meant to be a HEAVY rub like you see in comp or on TV, just use as normal for home cooking. Lightly dust and go.

Sauce reduction. I made a HUGE error but no one complained. I need to use a fat separator but had no idea it even existed. Think how I tweaked the old D15B7 into D15Beast7, I'm following the same steps.

Doing the EXACT same thing with the CRX, the proven scientific way I guess.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Other than family, I haven't serve any BBQ to anyone else....haven't tossed any away either!

I still need to learn how to mod my grill to hold heat better but also get the fire going longer without tending or opening the hood., aka the Minion method.

My plan right now is to a test run before Halloween for cook temps, then do a test cook for the neighbors for their huge (drunken) Halloween party. I just plan to offer a plate or two of meat in exchange of beer.

I made them "suffer" the last time as their bonfire was tainted my by smoke drifting their way.....more like a direct shot, LOL!

I HATE presenting a product in front of people!!!!! Nope, not that salesman style of person....I prefer to stay in the background, honing my trade, and getting good results.

But I have been DAMN lucky at making combo choices be it BBQ when I was 17 or Honda's later...just DAMN lucky!!!!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.