Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
theres alot of hype about what needs to be "modified" on the head for this cam to work. who percieves to know the truth about this cam. let the experienced and knowledgeable rain upon this thread.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,428 Posts
ummm?
Ask crower...lol
Just kidding..?
DseriesScience should know..!!!
 

·
ridin on rotas
Joined
·
1,980 Posts
yeah, no one will know better what mods need to be made than crower. call them and ask. why would we know?? I think there are maybe 1-3 people here who use the stg.3
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
531 Posts
civic4ges said:
Was this an issue on the Y8?
Nope...builthatch just ordered one too and so far for me no clearance issues with P29 pistons on Y8 and .010" mill on head (with apexi 1.5mm headgasket of course!) 12.25:1 compression.

I'd like to see more people use it...when i ordered mine crower took like a week to ship out because aparently there is sooo little stock on them. I only know grandpa who has one other than myself now...and soon builthatch.

Vince
 

·
dont fuck with me, I know some gang members
Joined
·
643 Posts
Anyone have any experience with it in a Z6? I emailed and Brian basically said that it's up the the head specialist/enigine builder.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
531 Posts
civic4ges said:
Nice loose way of putting it...
:) That covers them from having to inform you in detail of ANY mods.
Hey if you are going for this cam you have to be a baller...as in at least hondata s200 and some very good headwork (also $1-$2k of associated mods, fuel pump, reg, clutch, pp, p29 pistons, tb, exhaust, intake, valvetrain, etc the list goes onn!!).

If you want to run this cam with a VAFC fine but it's not going to be fun, practical or reliable unless you are running stock compression (then you're golden with a vafc i presume)...but how boring is that hehe :razz:

I talked to Brian prob a half dozen times about the crower 3 (and some other issues, i.e. my crower 2 cam breaking) and never said anything about machining anything for the cam to fit. Sure enough when i put it in...the gear turned.

The site says "extreme headwork is required" and "ecu tuning is a must" because it's referring to porting...if you dont port with this cam you might as well get the crower 2 because you prob wont gain any power and lose drivability/quality.

This cam is listed as a "race" cam, not "street/strip" and not "stage1 stock replacement" This means they assume you are going to have higher compression as a "race" engine would to squeeze every ounce of power out of their engine.

They are only up to one thing...making a cam that will (hopefully) not dissapoint me :)

Vince
 

·
allwheeldriveturboboxer
'08 Mazdaspeed3
Joined
·
2,469 Posts
AgentJam said:
Hey if you are going for this cam you have to be a baller...as in at least hondata s200 and some very good headwork (also $1-$2k of associated mods, fuel pump, reg, clutch, pp, p29 pistons, tb, exhaust, intake, valvetrain, etc the list goes onn!!).

If you want to run this cam with a VAFC fine but it's not going to be fun, practical or reliable unless you are running stock compression (then you're golden with a vafc i presume)...but how boring is that hehe :razz:

I talked to Brian prob a half dozen times about the crower 3 (and some other issues, i.e. my crower 2 cam breaking) and never said anything about machining anything for the cam to fit. Sure enough when i put it in...the gear turned.

The site says "extreme headwork is required" and "ecu tuning is a must" because it's referring to porting...if you dont port with this cam you might as well get the crower 2 because you prob wont gain any power and lose drivability/quality.

This cam is listed as a "race" cam, not "street/strip" and not "stage1 stock replacement" This means they assume you are going to have higher compression as a "race" engine would to squeeze every ounce of power out of their engine.

They are only up to one thing...making a cam that will (hopefully) not dissapoint me :)

Vince
guys listen to him, hes got it in his car...haha

i will to as soon as all these boneheads stop dropping the ball on my order-

also, i preached before that that cam did not require machining for fitment, however, there were still doubters...Brian Crower knows what he is talking about, he puts tireless work into his r&d, he would know and address issues of fitment before he put them into production, so if he says it fits, it does.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
531 Posts
let me just add that it took me 3 hours just to get the car to stay alive after i put it in...mind you i have 12.25:1 compression but with no tune it will not idle below 1k rpms and has little vacuum. Car acts like vacuum leak at that idle and revs up and down...so you can see the fun i'm having while i wait for the FC.

These are the things you have to worry about not whether it fits.

Vince
 

·
dont fuck with me, I know some gang members
Joined
·
643 Posts
Right on. I've already got most of the other stuff covered. Though I'm probably going with either the Stage 2 or Comp 59300. I'm just building a fun street engine for the next year or two before the turbo'd GSR.

I do have another question though...why wouldn't the Hondata S100 work? Correct me if I'm wrong, but it just doesn't have the bells and whistles, right?
 

·
allwheeldriveturboboxer
'08 Mazdaspeed3
Joined
·
2,469 Posts
Blanco said:
Right on. I've already got most of the other stuff covered. Though I'm probably going with either the Stage 2 or Comp 59300. I'm just building a fun street engine for the next year or two before the turbo'd GSR.

I do have another question though...why wouldn't the Hondata S100 work? Correct me if I'm wrong, but it just doesn't have the bells and whistles, right?
You are correct about the s100...but some guys like the full throttle shift and two step for the extra 40 bux or so-
 

·
the hard-parker
Joined
·
4,257 Posts
that stage 2 has me seriously debating spending money. i would love to have something like that for a turbo set-up
 
9

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
i bought the 59300, but im thinking of changing to the crower stg3... im worried about clearance and tuning issues... heres my setup as of right now.. whats needed do you think?

D16Z6 12:1C/R
PM6 Pistons .25 overbore
LS Rods w/ Crower Bushing Kit
Head Milled 0.04"
Zex 59300 Cam
Zex Valve Springs
Crower Valves .5 oversize
AEM Tru-Time Cam Gear
MSD Ignition Wires
ACT Street-lite Clutch
ACT 11lb Street-lite Flywheel
ARP Rod Bolts
ARP Head Bolts
SRR 4.9 Final Drive
JG Edelbrock Pro-Flow 1-Piece Header
Portmatched Intake Manifold and Throddle Body (62mm)
Stage 2 Port & Polish w/ Portmatch
B&M Fuel Pressure Regulator w/ Guage
Custom Chipped P28 ECU
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
531 Posts
92SIvic said:
i bought the 59300, but im thinking of changing to the crower stg3... im worried about clearance and tuning issues... heres my setup as of right now.. whats needed do you think?

D16Z6 12:1C/R
PM6 Pistons .25 overbore
LS Rods w/ Crower Bushing Kit
Head Milled 0.04"
Zex 59300 Cam
Zex Valve Springs
Crower Valves .5 oversize
AEM Tru-Time Cam Gear
MSD Ignition Wires
ACT Street-lite Clutch
ACT 11lb Street-lite Flywheel
ARP Rod Bolts
ARP Head Bolts
SRR 4.9 Final Drive
JG Edelbrock Pro-Flow 1-Piece Header
Portmatched Intake Manifold and Throddle Body (62mm)
Stage 2 Port & Polish w/ Portmatch
B&M Fuel Pressure Regulator w/ Guage
Custom Chipped P28 ECU
Keep in mind the crower3 is a totally different beast than the zex cam (can't remember the site but there is one comparing all D cams with specs)...also i dunno what kind of chipped p28 you are running but it's gonna have to beefed up and be ready for a bad idle.

I went with power FC for idle control...i know even grandpa with hondata s200 has a rough idle.

EDIT: also check with crower about the zex valvetrain...just in case.

Vince
 

·
dont fuck with me, I know some gang members
Joined
·
643 Posts
builthatch said:
you are correct about the s100...but some guys like the full throttle shift and two step for the extra 40 bux or so-
This is what I'm planning on building:

D16Z6
DC 4-2-1 header (because it's legal in Cali)
Injen or AEM CAI
GReddy SP exhaust
P29 Pistons
Zex/Comp Cams 59300 cam
KMS Engine Development springs and retainers, good to 10.5k rpm (man. claim)
AEM 5 bolt cam gear
ACL main and rod bearings
OEM gaskets and seals
Hondata IM gasket
B16 throttle body
Possibly a Skunk2 IM
OEM timing belt, tensioner, water pump
ARP head studs
Three angle valve grind
ACT six puck clutch
Haven't decided on flywheel yet, something in the 12lbs. range
Hondata S100

I have two EF hatches, a '91 Si and a '90 DX, so when I'm finally done with eventual GSR build the DX is getting the Z6...or I might get an EG hatch. Oh yeah, if I've missed anything please point it out. I'm hoping to have it finished some time around January.
 

·
allwheeldriveturboboxer
'08 Mazdaspeed3
Joined
·
2,469 Posts
Blanco said:
This is what I'm planning on building:

D16Z6
DC 4-2-1 header (because it's legal in Cali)
Injen or AEM CAI
GReddy SP exhaust
P29 Pistons
Zex/Comp Cams 59300 cam
KMS Engine Development springs and retainers, good to 10.5k rpm (man. claim)
AEM 5 bolt cam gear
ACL main and rod bearings
OEM gaskets and seals
Hondata IM gasket
B16 throttle body
Possibly a Skunk2 IM
OEM timing belt, tensioner, water pump
ARP head studs
Three angle valve grind
ACT six puck clutch
Haven't decided on flywheel yet, something in the 12lbs. range
Hondata S100

I have two EF hatches, a '91 Si and a '90 DX, so when I'm finally done with eventual GSR build the DX is getting the Z6...or I might get an EG hatch. Oh yeah, if I've missed anything please point it out. I'm hoping to have it finished some time around January.
sounds fabulous! i mis-read your other post, i assumed you were going turbo hence my suggestion to use the stock cam ; )

With your setup, you should really get a nice cam...the crower 2 is a wonderful street cam, with a decent idle and a broad pwoer increase...however, with your setup and compression, i would take the small hit with gas mileage and idle and go with the Crower 3...i did not see if your head was ported or not though...is it?
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top