Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
formerly Kit88
ek hatch
6,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My DD is smoking under hard acceleration,

on idle and medium load is fine, the turbo is not leaking oil to the exhaust.

oil rings??? valve seals???

·
Registered
77 Posts
valve seals you would know it for sure i had a sabb with bad seals and when those things go they fucking go!!!
id say your rings
how much oil does it burn on any given week ?

·
formerly Kit88
ek hatch
6,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I put about a half quart every week, when I go to the track, LOL

·
formerly Kit88
ek hatch
6,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is not too bad but need to know to fix this up.

·
Registered
77 Posts
hmmmmm id say go buy some high mileage restoring shit
i dont remember what ts called but i used it on my dads gmc and it kinda stopped smoking
might be better with a 4cylider idk

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
if it is valve seals u will normally notice a small puff of smoke after idles at lights then taking off casue the oil pools in the head until u take off then it smokes. and more commonly rings will smoke at all rpms. i would try doing an oil change with a quality oil and throw in a basic oil stabilizer like lucas or barhdol no smoke. see if it helps. may just be some tired seals. also check your plugs to see if they have oil on them. sometimes the seals go around where the plug tubes seal in the valve cover causing the oil to leak into the cylinder.

if it is valve seals a head rebuild is in order. fairly simple to do just takes some time.

·
formerly Kit88
ek hatch
6,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BUMP

·
Registered
91 CRX HF
1,040 Posts
I know you said you didn't have any oil in the exhaust from the turbo, but what about the charge pipe. I had turbo seals do this. Under hard acceleration your oil pressure goes up and oil pushes past the seals. I only had a slight film of oil in my charge pipes and a puddle in one spot. I ended up needing a bigger drain line. GL

·
formerly Kit88
ek hatch
6,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I know you said you didn't have any oil in the exhaust from the turbo, but what about the charge pipe. I had turbo seals do this. Under hard acceleration your oil pressure goes up and oil pushes past the seals. I only had a slight film of oil in my charge pipes and a puddle in one spot. I ended up needing a bigger drain line. GL
good point, I´ll check that.

if I have oil on the charge pipes, this goes to the head, burning and smoking ???

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
i would say either turbo or rings

if it were seals you could test that by doing a long decel using the engine to brake. the high vacuum will pull oil into the cylinder through the seals. so when you give it a little gas after decel, it will puff smoke

·
Registered
98 Civic EX
3,189 Posts
is the smoke blue or black?

·
Registered
honda/firebird form.
6,966 Posts
i say its the rings... esp when you say under hard load..... if it were valve seals it will be during idle and under decel... if it were the turbo, it will be all the time.

·
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER
10,488 Posts
i would say either turbo or rings

if it were seals you could test that by doing a long decel using the engine to brake. the high vacuum will pull oil into the cylinder through the seals. so when you give it a little gas after decel, it will puff smoke

yeah, but that same vac. has the ability to pull up from the rings too.

·
formerly Kit88
ek hatch
6,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Does it smoke at all at start up ?

no smoke at all at start up.

when I open the hood after a 1/4 mile run, I can see smoke comming out of the vc breather, not oil, just smoke , like a gun rigth after shooting, LOL

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
are you totally sure the turbo is not leaking past the seals?

it might only be trace amounts...the precision i just took off left no oil in the charge pipes only noticed when i took it from the hot side and had the CHRA in my hand....also had ALOT of shaft play....

if not that id say valve stem seals

what type of oil pressure are you running?

·
Registered
98 Civic EX
3,189 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts