Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i had the cam in the engine for a while, about 200 miles. had some non-related engine issues and decided to put the stock cam back in to break-in new rings.

well i got to looking at the delta cam and noticed something odd.

each vtec lobe is like that, a hard transition on the closing side of the lobes. the primary,secondary, and exhaust lobes look fine.

Is this typical of the 272-2?

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
Do they all look like that or is it just the one?

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i never looked at the vtec lobes prior to running it, but i did use zddp+ in the oil when i first did the cam break-in, but not after. i also had moly-lube on the cam lobes when i installed it. all 4 vtec lobes look exactly the same, like in the pics.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the way it looks that only those lobes are like that, to suggest the way it was ground. the lobes have the same exact spot in the same exact location. i can get more pics if need be.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
That might just be how the cam is ground. Its really hard to say if you dont know what it looked like before.

That cam has VERY agressive ramp up and ramp down rates. It allows more time for the valve to be open on a regrind. SLAM UP, OPEN OPEN OPEN OPEN, SLAM DOWN.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i know the cam is going to wear the rockers down, and i have seen some guys stock piling rockers. i'm tempted to do the same. i have some Rotella T 15w40 i'm going to put in the car and get away from the standard 5w30 because of the zinc content.

as i said before the non-vtec lobes all look fine, its just the vtecs i was worried about.

its only on the ramp down of the lobe, the ramp up looks normal.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Honestly no cam should be squared or have edges/abrupt changes in the profile. If you can feel it, its probably not a good idea to run.

As for stock piling rocker arms... where do you think all that rocker pad material goes? It turns into metal chunks that float around your engine. Really not a good idea for an engine of any kind. Look into something that actually works the way it should. Unfortunately that usually means paying more than $120 for a critical engine component like a cam shaft.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the car is running on an oem z6 cam at the moment. i would like to get a good cam, but i see so much conflicting info about alot of the cams for the d-series. I know the colt cam is good, but i havent seen any prices or spec on how it compares to the others out there.

i have seen the cam shoot-out and i know most wont make the numbers seen in that comparison.

i'm looking to make enough power to hit mid to high 10s in a full interior 98 hatch.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Pick up the phone and call. Another option is Web cams, give them a call direct and see what they have to offer. They can do hardwelds. I might go this route one day soon.

People dont really talk about the good shit. People who win dont give away their secrets. Being Mister Safe and waiting to copy someone elses build never ever winds up satisfying or living up to the hype. Take a chance on something new.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
your builds and jfk's are the ones that got me to build the single slam, it has also been one issue after another with this build. i'm tempted to go back to building a b-series.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i was also thinking of going with a 59500, but i read they have pitting problems and also go through the valve train. at the moment i dont have $500 to spend on a cam.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
See what the stock cam will do for you. Try something not insane for a cam like a Colt stage 2 triflow. Itll destroy a stock cam. You dont need an INSANE cam to go fast. A really big turbo, 8500rpm, long runners and a super short really large exhaust goes a REALLY long way.

Theres also a lot to be said for proper head work and a good valve job.

·
Registered
234 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i know good and well what those make, its just at the time the 272-2 was supposed to be a diamond in the rough, but turned out to be a lump of coal.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts