Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Civic Hatch D18Y8 M62 S/C
2,666 Posts
So I've looked around and searched for awhile and found some info, but I wanna know if I have this correct. This is for a D16Y8 head on a D16Y7 block.

Required

- D16y8 head
- D16y8 Intake manifold <- Optional but a good mod. Make sure it matches the year of your head. 96-98 or 99-00. You can mix and match but 99-00 have air injection holes that you may have to deal with.
- D16y8 Throttle body <- Optional
- D16y8 Fuel rail <- Not necessary. It's the same as a Y7
- D16y8 Fuel injectors
- P28 (w/ adapter harness) or P2P ecu <- P28: no knock sensor required
- D16Y8 Head gasket <- Same as Y7 but get a new one
- Copper spray <- DO NOT USE. Just creates a mess.
- Intake manifold gasket
- Throttle body gasket
- Exhaust manifold gasket
- Y8 Timing belt <- Same as Y7 so not necessary to change unless its time
- 96-00 Honda Civic EX Spark Plugs <- Same as Y7 so not necessary unless its time
- Some Wire, and Wire Connectors <- For VTEC, knock sensor, and IACV

I'll change the oil and coolant at this time too. I also want to know if I can use my Y7 distributer instead of the Y8. - YES

·
Registered
1997 Civic Hatch D18Y8 M62 S/C
2,666 Posts
I did this and if you don't want to run the knock sensor you can get an ECU from a 96-97 Del Sol, which is an OBD2A ECU. Also you may run into problems with(I forgot the name) fuel tank pressure I think, there was a fix for a resistor on the fuel rail to trick the voltage into thinking it was there but I never ran into that problem. Good Luck.
I did this also and used the ODB2A P28 ECU from a 95-97 del Sol. It solves the Fuel Tank Pressure Switch problem common in hatchback Civics. And you don't need the knock sensor.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.