Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've looked around and searched for awhile and found some info, but I wanna know if I have this correct. This is for a D16Y8 head on a D16Y7 block.

Required

- D16y8 head
- D16y8 Intake manifold
- D16y8 Throttle body
- D16y8 Fuel rail
- D16y8 Fuel injectors
- P28 (w/ adapter harness) or P2P ecu
- D16Y8 Head gasket
- Copper spray
- Intake manifold gasket
- Throttle body gasket
- Exhaust manifold gasket
- Y8 Timing belt
- 96-00 Honda Civic EX Spark Plugs
- Some Wire, and Wire Connectors

I'll change the oil and coolant at this time too. I also want to know if I can use my Y7 distributer instead of the Y8.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The y7 dizzy will work ! you have to do some modification, the gear on the bottom is 180 degrease out. You have to pull the ring and slide out the pin that holds the gear on. Turn it 180 and put it all back together. This is the difference between the v tech and non v tech dizzy.

·
Registered
1994 del Sol S
1,103 Posts
The y7 dizzy will work ! you have to do some modification, the gear on the bottom is 180 degrease out. You have to pull the ring and slide out the pin that holds the gear on. Turn it 180 and put it all back together. This is the difference between the v tech and non v tech dizzy.
Not on 96-00 D-Series. Its a DIRECT bolt on. I put a y8 head on my y7 block, and everything was straight foward. My y7 dizzy bolted onto the y8 head perfectly, and there is no oil restricter between #2 and #3 cylinder's in the block (like most people think). The y7 block is tapped from the factory for the knock sensor, so all you have to do, is put the sensor in, and wire it up.

OP, you'll also need a knock sensor. Esp if your going to use the y8 ECU (which you'll most likely have to do for inspection purposes).

·
Registered
1998 Civic
81 Posts
I did this and if you don't want to run the knock sensor you can get an ECU from a 96-97 Del Sol, which is an OBD2A ECU. Also you may run into problems with(I forgot the name) fuel tank pressure I think, there was a fix for a resistor on the fuel rail to trick the voltage into thinking it was there but I never ran into that problem. Good Luck.

·
Registered
1997 Civic Hatch D18Y8 M62 S/C
2,666 Posts
So I've looked around and searched for awhile and found some info, but I wanna know if I have this correct. This is for a D16Y8 head on a D16Y7 block.

Required

- D16y8 head
- D16y8 Intake manifold <- Optional but a good mod. Make sure it matches the year of your head. 96-98 or 99-00. You can mix and match but 99-00 have air injection holes that you may have to deal with.
- D16y8 Throttle body <- Optional
- D16y8 Fuel rail <- Not necessary. It's the same as a Y7
- D16y8 Fuel injectors
- P28 (w/ adapter harness) or P2P ecu <- P28: no knock sensor required
- D16Y8 Head gasket <- Same as Y7 but get a new one
- Copper spray <- DO NOT USE. Just creates a mess.
- Intake manifold gasket
- Throttle body gasket
- Exhaust manifold gasket
- Y8 Timing belt <- Same as Y7 so not necessary to change unless its time
- 96-00 Honda Civic EX Spark Plugs <- Same as Y7 so not necessary unless its time
- Some Wire, and Wire Connectors <- For VTEC, knock sensor, and IACV

I'll change the oil and coolant at this time too. I also want to know if I can use my Y7 distributer instead of the Y8. - YES

·
Registered
1997 Civic Hatch D18Y8 M62 S/C
2,666 Posts
I did this and if you don't want to run the knock sensor you can get an ECU from a 96-97 Del Sol, which is an OBD2A ECU. Also you may run into problems with(I forgot the name) fuel tank pressure I think, there was a fix for a resistor on the fuel rail to trick the voltage into thinking it was there but I never ran into that problem. Good Luck.
I did this also and used the ODB2A P28 ECU from a 95-97 del Sol. It solves the Fuel Tank Pressure Switch problem common in hatchback Civics. And you don't need the knock sensor.

·
Certified O.G.
A Shitbox
5,605 Posts
what if i wanted to use the z6 head instead? can i still use the y7 dizzy and stick with the OBD2A P28 ecu? an wHAT ELSE IF ANY WOULD I HAVE TO CHANGE ON THAT LIST THANKS FOR YOUR TIME
P28 is OBD1, you will need an OBD2A-OBD1 Jumper harness.

·
Registered
99' civic ex
30 Posts
sorry to butt in but my buddy has a mini me y7 block/y8 head in a 88 crx si what dizzy should we use?

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Don't forget injectors. Y7 are only 190cc. Y8 are 240cc.

-Luke

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.