Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
99 civic ex
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been running though the forums now for a couple of months and I think I want to run with this set up. Hope to keep it in the 10.5:1 neighborhood. I’ve got a nice chunk of change saved up and I want to do this right. I’ve built several Honda sohc motorcycle engines over the years, but I am no expert when it comes to fuel injection, or heavily moded engines.

Y8 block bored 0.5mm over
A6 pistons
Stock rods cryo, shot preened, and Arp rod bolts
Y8 head w/ Endyn p&p
OEM head gasket
Crower stage 2 cam
Zex springs & ti retainers
Rc balanced stock injectors
Skunk 2 intake mani
65-62mm tapered throttle

I already have a custom 3’’ intake and a custom 2.25” exhaust on the car right now.

I have some questions.
1. Will I run into any valve relief issues with the pm6 pistons and crower cam?
2. For tuning can I get away with an AEM F/IC piggy back? (I know hondata rules, but I need to keep obd2 to pass the Nazi PA inspection.)

My goals for this engine are rather modest. I hope for a reliable 130+hp and 110+lbs of torque. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
No problems with your valve reliefs if you don't mill to much off the head. The AEM piggy back should do fine with such low CR.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I like this build although I think a stock or maybe a 60mm b series throttle body would work better than the 62mm also the cryo and shot peen idea is also over kill I would use stock rods and if there not enough modified LS although ls would raise compression in to the mid 11s with this set up if you used your stock Y8 piston and LS rods this would also yield around a 10.5 comp pistons will stick about .016 out of the hole so you would have to use a 3 layer head gasket around 0.040 in or so.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I have some questions.
1. Will I run into any valve relief issues with the pm6 pistons and crower cam?
2. For tuning can I get away with an AEM F/IC piggy back? (I know hondata rules, but I need to keep obd2 to pass the Nazi PA inspection.)
1. No you won't have any problems there.
2. You will NOT get this engine running well unless you use an ems AND a wideband.

·
Registered
99 civic ex
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First just wanna say thanks for all the input. so thanks!
Just to clarify some things.

I'm running with the cryo+shotpeened rods because i MIGHT throw a small shot of N02 (35-50 shot) on it eventually. (I am still doing my homework on nitrous and havent made up my mind.) But for a few hundred dollars i would like to keep the option open.

The p29's are great for a pure NA, but i would have to run a 2mm headgasket to keep the compression below 12:1.

I am planning on running a wideband, probably an AEM to help with the tuning. However what i really want to know is if the AEM piggy back would work. I talked with some of their sales team and ofcourse they said it would do all that i want and more, but i really want to hear from people who actually have run similar setups. If i have to go with a standalone it would blow my budget all to hell, and at that point i might as well switch to a b series. :( I am a sohc honda motorcycle nut, and so the d16 is like family. I've had loads of trial and errror experience with carburators, but fuel injection is a different animal alltogether. so i want to know what i'm getting into before i spend all kinds of money.

As i am typing this i now realize i should probably poasted this in the Engine Management forum since most of my questions are about tuning. woops!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts