Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
stock y8 with I/H/E/VAFC II and have been running the 55 dry shot from the Zex kit, but want to know what you guys would suggest if I wanted to run a 75 shot. Obviously adjust the timing, but as far as maybe a new cam, springs, retainers? What would be the best thing for my motor to throw on that would help in not causing detonation from the higher shot? Or would I even need to bother with any other mods, for example, IM, TB, etc.?

·
Registered
901 Posts
try some colder plugs, adjust timing, and don't stay on it for very long. no need for any other mods. keep in mind that a 75 is damn near double your whp, and really not advisable unless properly tuned for it.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,630 Posts
don't try a ZEX 75 shot.....stock injectors won't keep up even with a Walbro 255 HP pump and .028 fuel jet.

R5671A-7 plugs

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So basically the only way I could run a 75 shot is with block and head work done, pistons, rods, pnp, etc.? I've read (I think on here or on Sohchonda.com) that a 75 shot on stock internals, as long as your running colder plugs will be ok?

·
Registered
1995 Civic EX Coupe
579 Posts
no, just run and WET shot (fuel & N20) into the intake instead of just nitrous and get colder plugs. wouldnt be a bad idea to get it tuned either though

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok I understand a tune would help, BUT, I have a dry shot first of all and secondly I already have the Zex Hyperformance plugs so I won't need to change those.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
don't try a ZEX 75 shot.....stock injectors won't keep up even with a Walbro 255 HP pump and .028 fuel jet.

R5671A-7 plugs
Bone was basically saying you need to upgrade fuel injectors or your asking for trouble.the zex kit raises fuel pressure to add fuel like any other dry kit on the market.If you run a 75 shot on stock honda denso 240cc injectors your going to max them out with the extra high fuel pressure the zex kit is going to add.

Since you have a vafc,get some 310cc injectors.Rc lucas style if you have the $$ or pick up a set of old school non turbo supra,ford thunderbird/merkur 30lb brown tops,or old ford probe turbo 310's and get them cleaned.I just sold a set of 310s for 43 shipped on ebay so they are out there.That along with a walbro 225lph HP is pretty safe,since your fuel system will be beefed up and be able to handle the higher fuel pressure.

Or sell the vafc and get your ecu chipped with the money and save up for a tune,along with the 310's and 225 pump.With a good tune 75 shot is possible stock block but your pushing it.

The dry vs wet stuff is never going to stop because of the misinformation going around about it so anytime anyone makes a post about a dry kit at least 5 ppl will answer get a wet kit,even if it has nothing to do with the subject.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,630 Posts
Guess my 85-100hp shot was a myth then..........

So basically the only way I could run a 75 shot is with block and head work done, pistons, rods, pnp, etc.? I've read (I think on here or on Sohchonda.com) that a 75 shot on stock internals, as long as your running colder plugs will be ok?
WHere did I say anything about rods, pistons, pnp.......

Read here and on SOHC, same info about my setup on both sights......

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Understand, so the RC 310 injectors and a new fuel pump would be the only upgrade I would need in order to run the 75 shot

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Technically yes, but I would reallllyy look into the chipped ecu option over an safc tune as well as in the future adding a fuel pressure saftey switch, fuel pressure gauge,rpm switch (or ignition box with rev limiter) and,maybe even a wideband.You could go bigger on the injectors,but I was running a dry NOS 65 shot with 310's fine on the first honda I ever owned.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Read a Nitrous article on Honda-Tech saying for a dry 75 shot, they recommended a upgraded clutch, FPR, the walbro 255 pump and retarted timing (4 degrees for the Zex Kit), so I think I might just stick with that....

·
Premium Member
2000 Civic DX hatch
202 Posts
Read a Nitrous article on Honda-Tech saying for a dry 75 shot, they recommended a upgraded clutch, FPR, the walbro 255 pump and retarted timing (4 degrees for the Zex Kit), so I think I might just stick with that....
I would still go with bigger injectors over stock. even if the stockers are enough, they're borderline, and they're a relatively inexpensive upgrade if you look for a good used set. RC's can be kinda pricey, but like someone else said, you should be able to find a set of bigger injectors that'll work great for cheap if you look hard enough.

FPR and fuel pump are good too but if you max out your injectors, then you've wasted that money and you'll still run lean.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,630 Posts
FPR and fuel pump are good too but if you max out your injectors, then you've wasted that money and you'll still run lean.
which is how I hurt my Z6 the first time, 75 shot....the pass after my 13.09 @ 103 mph

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the tips, as far as the y8 block goes with a 75 shot, I personally feel from what I've read in the past that it will be fine. Probably a 100 shot and over is when you need to start worrying about pistons, crank, rods, etc.

·
Registered
14 Posts
that sucks. cant say that i havent seen it before tho lol.

·
FAMILY MEMBER #316
2,955 Posts
which is how I hurt my Z6 the first time, 75 shot....the pass after my 13.09 @ 103 mph

that is one old ass washing machine haha

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
thats weird you guys are saying you need bigger injectors to run a 75 shot.

i ran a 75 shot on my old y7 setup a few years back which i guess had 190cc injectors. all i had was a b&m fpr and a walbro 255lph pump. afr's were deep into the 10's using the jets the zex kit came with.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts