Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
y8 vs z6 (vtec) rocker assembly [UPDATE PICS/FITTING]

hey, had some bad luck with my cam install and ruined my rocker (z6) assembly (cracked it in a few places, lucky my cam is ok). i have a y8 assembly that someone will give me, but my question is, will it be compatible? Has anyone had experience wi8th these, or got a pic of the y8 assembaly so i can compare?

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cheers i was thinking something along those lines. do u know what size bolts the y8 assembaly uses? i actually run a d16y1 (SOHC vtec) in australia, and the bolt sizes were 10mm&12mm. this was in comparison to the american z6 which the user manual said had 8mm&6mm bolts!

·
No more Honda's :-(
Civic CX
3,223 Posts
Weq said:
hey, had some bad luck with my cam install and ruined my rocker (z6) assembly (cracked it in a few places, lucky my cam is ok). i have a y8 assembly that someone will give me, but my question is, will it be compatible? Has anyone had experience wi8th these, or got a pic of the y8 assembaly so i can compare?
they won't work at all. the y8 and z6 rocker arms are completly different. you will do some serious damage to your engine if you put them in.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hmmmmmmm
well im going to look at the head of a y8 tonight.. as i said, i run a y1 so im hopeing they will be the same.. i will compare both side by side... thanks for the help.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
ok i checked out the assemblys side by side and put the old assembly on the y8 head and the new assembly on the y1 (z6) head. the rocker arms look like they are fine to me in comparison.. the only real difference i could see were a couple of moulding shapes on the allominium and the oil squirters(?) up top. I finger tightend all the bolts and what i ended up with is as follows. My concerns are:
1) the valve lash clearance. i have pictured below 2 lash's are completly backed out and currently have almost 0 room to more before they put pressure on the springs. ATM the head is at TDC. Is this normal? The cam is a Stage 2 Zex (59300). i know u have to rotate the engine to set the lash correctly, but i am not sure if this is ok to torque down if they are already touching! because i fucked up my old assembly like this last time (accept i didnt ajust any lash and just torqued it down - new cam remmber - and the pressure on the rockers crasked the asembly. OPINIONS?? this is my main concern!!

2) the oil squirters. this is the main function difference i can see. the old ones in my y1 head did not have the retaining housing that these do.

Basically i need opinions before i torque these down, please help!

OLD
VS

NEW

Oil squiters. noticly different housing, although actuating the same way

This is the clearance issue i was talking about. is it normal to have pressure on the valve when torqing the assembly down - it will ass about 1mm worth of pressure before its secure.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Gap left before flush. Its finger tight atm.

Im keeping an eye on this gap. if it doesnt close up when torqued, i wont use it

To the person above who said it wouldnt work. could u please point out or describe what i should look for to see in the pictures? what is wrong with the rocker arms??

Thanks heeps guys!

·
Registered
936 Posts
get the correct valve train. try to get it for cheap online. or else you're going to have to buy a complete head and use the valvetrain off that head. don't bother with trying to make hybrid of y8 and z6. don't be so cheap when it comes to specs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts